The Emergence of Jordan Kyrou

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
He’s always been who he is: Scott Wheeler has been writing about him for years and anyone that watched him in Junior knew that he was destined to be Barzal-lite.

He has absolute elite skating ability in every way, not just speed. His vision and passing are his next best qualities, but he has refined his shot to be deadly over the last year.

Defensively, he is responsible and smart, and he has finally flipped the switch and become consistent at using his stick to strip the puck. He had flashes of this in juniors where he would just take over a game and run the wall like Barzal, but he didn’t have the motor to take it to the next level night in and night out. He has that now, and fits Berube’s system well.

He drives his own offense, so he works well on any line. The opportunity was given to him with all the injuries, and even before that when Tarasenko started on LTIR: he’s ran with it, and won’t ever see the bottom-6 again.

Oh, and 90+% of his scoring isn’t even on the powerplay (though he was excellent there in junior). That’s the next thing he needs to develop.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Who is this guy ? He looked like a fringe NHLer last few years, yet now he’s nearly a PPG player and is driving Blues offense.

What went right for him ?

He was 19-22 years old over the past few years so he was still developing...if you evaluate him objectively, he is one of the fastest players in the NHL and has legit elite potential.

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
He really impressed me playing for Canada at the World Juniors - feet always moving, making smart plays.

If anything, I've been expecting and waiting for him to break out in the NHL

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
22 seems like a pretty typical age for a 2nd rounder to hit his stride to me. Obviously, he had some development to do or he would've gone in the 1st round. I wouldn't even consider this a late bloomer

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
I remember hearing about his potential , but seeing him struggle to get minutes in previous years. His speed is as pretty evident even while getting limited 4th line minutes.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Young player is better at 22 than at 20. Mind blown.
Kyrou was always a great prospect.

exactly this. when I watched him play when he was 17, 18 and 19...he is today, at age 22, exactly where I thought he would be. and am looking forward to watching the type of player he will be when at age 25. should be fun.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
exactly this. when I watched him play when he was 17, 18 and 19...he is today, at age 22, exactly where I thought he would be. and am looking forward to watching the type of player he will be when at age 25. should be fun.

2016 was a fairly deep draft. A lot of skilled players spilled out into the 2nd and 3rd round (Debrincat & Hart come to mind).
Half of those players won't become NHLers but there's still time for guys like Katchouk to emerge.

edit: Jeez Hart was sitting right there for the Oilers to take him at 32.

Last edited:

Domme90

Nov 21, 2020
Pointe per 60 minutes he is top 10 in the nhl.Would be not surprised if he will become a 80-85 point player in 1-2 year.

Reactions: Meatball

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Reminds me of another late pick that was really good for team Canada,but took awhile to develop...In Drake Batherson

choirboy

Apr 12, 2006
To think, had Brad Treliving not traded that second round pick to the Blues for Brian Elliot, he would look pretty good on a Flames team as a up and coming offensive player.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I found these videos on youtube that someone posted clipping every time (I think) he touched the puck in a couple games. First one is very early in the season maybe even the first game when he was on the third line. Second game is when he was with Schwartz and Schenn which was one of the best lines in the NHL before Schwartz got injured.

His skating is elite and when he gets close to the net he's a great finisher.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueMed

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He is a prime example of how hard work leads to good things.

He’s always had speed and offensive talent. The difference this year is he’s creating a lot of his own chances by forechecking, back checking and winning puck battles. Last year he didn’t do any of that. His all-around game has really surprised me. He has committed to it and it has paid off big time.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
The only players with more even strength points in the NHL are Draisaitl, McDavid, Marner, Matthews, Scheifele, and Kane. They all play 20+ minutes a night compared to Kyrou’s 15.

He’s definitely an elite skater and that can finish and make plays but his much improved compete level has been my biggest take away for him this season.

With all of the key injuries to St. Louis this year, his offensive production has been huge for them.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I don’t agree with the way the Blues handled him.

They should have rushed his development and stagnated his offensive abilities.

Damn shame.

Reactions: cg98 and TK 421

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->