The emergence of Devon Toews?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
On HF your either garbage or a hall of famer. Also absolutely no kudos for anybody or your “over rating” them.

I keep seeing people saying "it's too soon to talk about that" or "sample size is too small", it's like should we all just not talk about hockey for 3 months?

I know the sample size is small on, let's say, the Habs but I'd still like to talk about how good they've looked. Doesn't mean I am calling them inevitable cup champs (please God no lol).

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
He was definitely a great out-of-the-blue pickup for us. I wanted them to be proactive about improving the defense, but so many times that meant picking up a guy like Cole out of UFA. It’s refreshing to go get someone like Toews who isn’t just a guy that is living off of reputation. He plugs into a top 4 and looks right at home. Once Byram and EJ are up to speed, it’ll be interesting to see how the pairings end up, but you can put Toews about anywhere and he’ll be fine.

Reactions: klozge

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
I keep seeing people saying "it's too soon to talk about that" or "sample size is too small", it's like should we all just not talk about hockey for 3 months?

I know the sample size is small on, let's say, the Habs but I'd still like to talk about how good they've looked. Doesn't mean I am calling them inevitable cup champs (please God no lol).
I’m with you. For a site meant for discussion a large portion of the boards like to kill any debate or nuance to any given topic.
On the topic of Toews, I knew he would be the stable defensive partner the Avs young guns need as support. I was thrilled with that trade as an Avs fan.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I actually think the Av's system gives Toews the opportunity to showcase his skill more so than the Isles system. Naturally, a player with Toews instincts and style will be a better fit with the attack the Av's employ

This. We Isles fans will keep mentioning this. He was such a great addition to the Isles, but he fits the Avs like a glove and will do very well there. Excited for them.

I don't think I would call him a top pairing defenseman because I think he will vary how he looks based on the system, which to me isn't a number one dman. If you dropped him on just any team, his impact will vary. But this guy is a totally rock solid asset who has a bright future.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
good defenseman tend to play well on good teams. avs are better than the isles so i expect toews will have a good season. i guess most of the west won't know who he is right away, but i believe he's already emerged...

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Not sure anyone who paid attention would think he would need to emerge. He was one of the Islanders best D’s last year.

Agreed. He was the #1 target for me as far as defensemen I wanted us (Montreal, if my avatar wasn't obvious enough) to realistically acquire.

Instead we got Edmunson. And hey, he fits with team mentality and coaching scheme, so his signing doesn't hurt us, nor dis we have to pony up two second-round picks in a potential trade with NYI.

But Toews as a two-way guy with PMD ability would have been better.

As far as Toews' coming-out party, once can argue that it was two years ago, a season he split in-between the AHL and NHL. He not only posted 19 points in 24 games for Bridgeport, playing amazing hockey, but he also was pretty freaking solid with the Isles in the 48 games he played there in 2018-2019.

Many people who actually watch NYI games knew Toews was gonna be pretty good in the NHL then. Before that it was kinda up in the air, so I'd say his breakout came in '18-'19 and then he just continued to improve and got progressively more ice-time to showcase his talent to the world.

With the more offensively-focused Avalanche, Toews' playmaking ability from the backend and his sweet hockey IQ are simply more apparent than they were with the ultra-defensive Islanders is all, hence why people notice him more.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
I'm not familiar with the Isles' cap situation, but he was always noticeable in the games I watched, and it was obvious before the ink was dry that this was a great move for a team as talented as Colorado.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
It's crazy though you know, if Isles didnt spend so much on Komarov, Martin, and others they definitely could've hung onto him. It's a solid loss for them but they have some good defensemen in system already so maybe they'll be alright.

Just sucks to lose a talent like that to overpaid grinders.

if only dubas was our GM :laugh:

Not surprised toews is thriving. Only issue with his game was some poorly timed pinches. Great skater that knows how to get pucks on net

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
if only dubas was our GM :laugh:

Not surprised toews is thriving. Only issue with his game was some poorly timed pinches. Great skater that knows how to get pucks on net
And a maddening tendency to flip the puck over the glass for a penalty.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
He is playing as well as should be expected by anyone who knew him. He's a good young player, acquired at considerable and appropriate cost.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
No body wanted to take our word lol. He’s got a lot of talent. Excellent skater as well. Was inconstant a bit but he’s really good when he’s going.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
No body wanted to take our word lol. He’s got a lot of talent. Excellent skater as well. Was inconstant a bit but he’s really good when he’s going.
The Islanders don’t have any talented players. The entire team is clearly a product of Trotz. :sarcasm:

I guess you could say... Devon Toews has finally been unleashed and it’s quite something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad