The EGG Line

samsquanch9*

Lars Eller and two wingers beginning with G....

Make me think of naming the line the Elgee's. (already had some Beegees).

Elgee is by the way an old English names that derives from three possible Germanic names *Alb-gar/ger (elf-spear) or *Adal-gar/ger (noble spear) or *Ald-gar/ger (old-spear). Possible all three of them ending being the same.
The English composer Edward Elgar is a variant identical in origin with Elgee - also the rare English names of Alger/Algar.

If we go with the elf-spear variant then the Scandinavian/viking name would be Ãlfgeirr (roll those rrrrrrr's as the Scottish still do).

uhh no

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Eller replaced by Plekanec on the EGG line, what a shame... Why Eller has to pay for others? This line should be no.1...

:rant:

I don't think it's a big worry. That PEB line has potential; they dominated O-zone time despite having some (expected) initial growing pains.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
are you kidding me? Plekanec replacing eller, i mean its veterans problem they arent producing. I would love a briere-plek-maxpac line though. Galchenyuk is on fire. But reunite this line wow

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
EGG line dead. Coaches finally realize Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and MaxPac are the core and future. The rest of the guys are just short term filler.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
When you think about it this is good news. Eller is now officially 'top 6' in MT's eyes. Gallys replace Gionta/Bourque. These are promotions/rewards.

Eller replaces Desharnais in the top 6 and gets Pacioretty. This line no longer NEEDS to be sheltered and much more matchup friendly. Eller/Pacioretty have shown in the past they can play well together. Also keep in mind this line hasn't even had a practice together.

Gallys get Plekanec who can return to actually trying to create offense instead of almost exclusively playing defense. With Plekanec's defensive capabilities the young duo can match up much better on the road. Gives Galchenyuk more rope to try more risky high skill plays as well. This line was together for a little bit in preseason if I recall correctly.

Gionta and Bourque are not ideal top 6 offensive forwards and are useful in terms of being capable on the defensive side. With a 2way 3rd line center, this can be the shutdown line. With Desharnais, it's a line that's not good enough offensively to score but not good enough defensively to shutdown.

Moen/Prust centered by Bournival.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Eller replaced by Plekanec on the EGG line, what a shame... Why Eller has to pay for others? This line should be no.1...

No way. You are looking at it from the standpoint of having only Eller and the Gally's succeed.

We need the entire team to succeed and to do that, we need two scoring lines, not just one.

Eller with Pacioretty and Briere will become a very dynamic scoring line very soon. And Pleks will complement the Gallys.

When you think about it this is good news. Eller is now officially 'top 6' in MT's eyes. Gallys replace Gionta/Bourque. These are promotions/rewards.

Eller replaces Desharnais in the top 6 and gets Pacioretty. This line no longer NEEDS to be sheltered and much more matchup friendly. Eller/Pacioretty have shown in the past they can play well together. Also keep in mind this line hasn't even had a practice together.

Gallys get Plekanec who can return to actually trying to create offense instead of almost exclusively playing defense. With Plekanec's defensive capabilities the young duo can match up much better on the road. Gives Galchenyuk more rope to try more risky high skill plays as well. This line was together for a little bit in preseason if I recall correctly.

Gionta and Bourque are not ideal top 6 offensive forwards and are useful in terms of being capable on the defensive side. With a 2way 3rd line center, this can be the shutdown line. With Desharnais, it's a line that's not good enough offensively to score but not good enough defensively to shutdown.

Great post.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York

Agree with all of this. I have to credit Therrien, the lines looked disjointed today but I think he recognized who our are key forwards after all of the criticism.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Agree with all of this. I have to credit Therrien, the lines looked disjointed today but I think he recognized who our are key forwards after all of the criticism.

I wonder if Therrien reads this board.:sarcasm:

I am thankful that he changed the lines.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
If we didnt have DD, our lineup could be this:

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere
Prust - Plekanec - Gionta
Moen - White - Bournival
Parros

Subban - Markov
Diaz - Gorges
Bouillon - Beaulieu
Emelin

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I think Briere needs big bodies to play his game. He loves lting in the reeds and suddenly coming out of nowhere to get a scoring chance. Plus obviously he needs big guys to give him space.

If MT can give them time to gel we could have a very solid 2nd line in Pac-Eller-Briere.

Consider also that Plekanec actually gets talented, creative offensive wingers now. This could be a great top6

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal

If you want to put all your EGGs in the same basket, then you keep them together.

Seems to me that MT wants to have three scoring lines.
For this game, Pac- Eller - Briere and Galchenyuk - Plek - Gallagher has been the top-6.
Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta was the third line.

I think we can stop to say that MT does not give top TOI to our young players.

The Eller line was facing the Hall - RNH - Eberle line and the Perron - Arcobello - Hemsky was given to Plek line.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I don't think it's a bad idea to split them up. Really the main benefit from it is Pacioretty away from the blackhole that is David Desharnais. Eller + Pacioretty could be a very nice combo on one line and then have the Gallys on another. Spread it out a bit. Then when Desharnais hits waivers, maybe someone can step up.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
:nod:
EGG line dead. Coaches finally realize Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Eller and MaxPac are the core and future. The rest of the guys are just short term filler.

... Plekanec is hardly a "short term filler", he's been with the team his whole career and is an amazing role model and players. You cant just take your youngsters and throw em out there. You need talented veterans with inpecable work ethics (like Pleky) to surround them.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
The good: EGG + Subban have 24 points. The ugly: The rest of the team have 12.
So you are saying that our young core is top-16 in the league.
And the rest of our team is not at par.

We should expect our young core to produce less.
As for the rest of our team, they should produce more.

I do not see why we should draw anything from a four games sample.
But we can raise our hopes that these young players (Eller, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Subban) will do better than last year.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
I don't think it's a bad idea to split them up. Really the main benefit from it is Pacioretty away from the blackhole that is David Desharnais. Eller + Pacioretty could be a very nice combo on one line and then have the Gallys on another. Spread it out a bit. Then when Desharnais hits waivers, maybe someone can step up.
Seems to me that this is a done deal.
Once they were split, the whole team improved.

Before there was one line, after there are two lines.
MT wants to have three lines producing.
He has three young core players in offense and he needs to split them to improve the team.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
are you kidding me? Plekanec replacing eller, i mean its veterans problem they arent producing. I would love a briere-plek-maxpac line though. Galchenyuk is on fire. But reunite this line wow

Not really, its a team problem. If the team is better with those lines (and it might be if it balances goal scoring) then its better that way, even if it makes the individual stats of some players suffer. So many people here acts like Eller and the Gallys are their own sons, I mean its nice to see them produce but a goal is a goal, even if its scored by Bourque and not one of the golden boys.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
:nod:

... Plekanec is hardly a "short term filler", he's been with the team his whole career and is an amazing role model and players. You cant just take your youngsters and throw em out there. You need talented veterans with inpecable work ethics (like Pleky) to surround them.
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Gallagher seems a pretty good line.
Pacioretty - Eller - Briere seems good too.

Based on ES TOI, Bourque - Desharnais - Gionta is now the third line.

I feel OK with this. Let's see where we go with this.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Yeah i agree with all this, especially plekanec with the gally's, i didnt like it at first and probably still dont, but i remember eller a couple years ago saying he was in awe watching plekanec play out there, all the things that he does and its clear he has picked up a few things from watching pleks play and added some of it to his already impressive repertoire

Plekanec is a great player and has had nothing but **** wingers for the last 2-3 years it seems, it was only 2/3 of a game but i think plekanec will EASILY mesh with the gallys in no time and will bring up all their offensive numbers, as well as help out the line defensively like crazy, and then of course, hopefully galchenyuk ALSO picks up a couple of things watching plekanec from up close and adds it to HIS repertoire whenever he takes over centering a NHL line

your right, these are all good things

its so funny to see our future number 1-2 centers were BOTH on the 3rd line

edit : and MOST important of all, ..Eller receiving DD's wingers should be a BIG message to desharnais... time's running out kid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad