The EGG Line

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Groan. I never underestimate peoples need for nicknames. Patches, Pleky, Chuckie. These aren't your friends. EGG line, an equally 3rd grade creation.

Eller seems like a serious dude, he's said he doesn't like the EGG nickname or his personal nickname "Larry".

"Hr. Lars Fosgaard Eller" is the full and correct name for this serious gentleman anything else is unspeakably inappropriate. :sarcasm:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I have another name for this line, but I'm keeping it for the GDT.

So chill out
8870291.jpg

If I had to list the things that are awesome about this board, you are at the top of the list.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Beaker, no offense but as you offered unsolicited comments to the writer, let me comment on your comments:

1. "Eller, at 24 the eldest member of the group" to "Eller, the eldest member of the group at the young age of 24..."

2. "Two games does not a season make" to "does not make a season"

3. "yoke" to "yolk"

1. Your suggestion does little but tell the reader that you think 24 is a young age in this context. As the lede already mentions the line is made up of "spring chickens," this is arguably redundant.

2. "does not a season make" is perfectly understandable and acceptable, it is especially appropriate as the writer is opining. Actually if anything the grammar point here might be whether to consider "two games" a plural, taking "do" instead of "does."

3. "Yoke" and "yolk" are different words and homonyms, there is no misspelling in the article rather this seems to be another egg pun. Calling Galchenyuk the "yoke" likens him to the device farmers use to team up oxen and other draft animals, while also referencing a vitellus or "yolk."

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No need for periods really, I didn't want to use a Lars-Alex-Brendan explanation inside the gdt image ;)

No, I got it I just think the periods are distracting. I like the LAB line so long as MT doesn't start experimenting with the lines and breaks them up. Furthermore long as lab isnt an acromym for lazy-albatross/aphysical-briere, its okay by me.

If eggs were not associated with being inherently fragile, I wouldn't mind the egg line. Based on our luck so far this year, there is no sense is jinxing it.

And I hope you dont think I'm nitpicking, I really do like your GDT.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Looking for an alternative name for the line but an anagram generator did not help at all. I input "Lars Alex Brendan" and the best result was "Err, bland anal sex" :help:

Discovered that "Pale Neck" is an anagram for "Plekanec." Which makes sense with the turtleneck.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That sentence structure is commonly used though, to the point where it has become cliche, and that's what i interpreted it as in this article.

Either way, the amount of egg related puns here won me over easy. Though i wonder if the author poached the article from another source?

I see what you did there :laugh:

iseewhatyoudid.gif

Awesome article btw. Made me chuckle.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
lol I can't believe that this article is being critiqued on it's grammar (which is fine) and not on it's bad egg puns.

why do Montreal fans need nicknames should be the title of the next article

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
"Lars and the real Galls" remains IMHO the funniest line name since "Benny and the 'dgets" Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta back in 2009-2010.

TIL: Pouliot is now playing for NYR? Surprised he found a job.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Groan. I never underestimate peoples need for nicknames. Patches, Pleky, Chuckie. These aren't your friends. EGG line, an equally 3rd grade creation.

Eller seems like a serious dude, he's said he doesn't like the EGG nickname or his personal nickname "Larry".

Tell us more about how much you hate Price! :sarcasm:

On topic, people will give nicknames to whoever they want. You don't need to be friends with someone to call them by a nickname. Do you think the only people who call Crosby "Sid the Kid" are his friends? Don't think so.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
"two games does not a season make" is fine.

The first one, sure.

Actually on second glance the first one might be fine.

"Two games does not a season make," does not seem to make a whole lot of sense to me. Maybe you're right, but I'm generally pretty good with English. Also, the one about Eller being oldest is not proper. My English prof would have been all over those types of mistakes. It should be very clear and simple to read. I think it needs re-arranging or added punctuation to help it. That said, I thought the article content was good.

It could have been, "Eller, at 24, is the eldest of the group and is leading..."

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Both Eller and Gallagher have said they hate the nickname.

Galchenyuk was too busy signing documents with Guinness World Records due to having the softest hands in history.

It sucks.

(The name, that is)

Give 'em a new name!

Think, Hab fans, think!

a Russian/American
a Canadian
a Dane

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
I got one...

Brendan
Alex
Lars

The BALS line.

Not bad.

:)

Change the thread title, please, mods.

Make it stick for Gally.

Thanks.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I got one...

Brendan
Alex
Lars

The BALS line.

Not bad.

:)

Change the thread title, please, mods.

Make it stick for Gally.

Thanks.

If you are not restricted to three letters you could add the "L" from Alex to go with the A, but it does not help all that much.

I dont really care what they are called, if eller and gallagher dont like the egg line that's fine by me, I wont use it.

I much rather have three productive players on the same line with a crappy line nickname ( or none at all) than three scrubs with a great nickname.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
If you are not restricted to three letters you could add the "L" from Alex to go with the A, but it does not help all that much.

I dont really care what they are called, if eller and gallagher dont like the egg line that's fine by me, I wont use it.

I much rather have three productive players on the same line with a crappy line nickname ( or none at all) than three scrubs with a great nickname.

Agreed on all 3 points.

But BALLS it is (for me, at least), if it must have a name.

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
Lets hope they are as successful as the other line that bore the EGG moniker. Gomez and Gionta each had career years.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Lars Eller and two wingers beginning with G....

Make me think of naming the line the Elgee's. (already had some Beegees).

Elgee is by the way an old English names that derives from three possible Germanic names *Alb-gar/ger (elf-spear) or *Adal-gar/ger (noble spear) or *Ald-gar/ger (old-spear). Possible all three of them ending being the same.
The English composer Edward Elgar is a variant identical in origin with Elgee - also the rare English names of Alger/Algar.
Oscar Wilde's wife was actually born Elgee.

If we go with the elf-spear variant then the Scandinavian/viking name would be Ãlfgeirr (roll those rrrrrrr's as the Scottish still do).

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad