the early hybrid cage mask question

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Awesome post hoser. Greg Harrison made my mask, and yes, it was custom flush to the face, simply distributing the pucks impact which was like being walloped up-side of the head by Popeye with a Paddle that you never saw comin. Very interesting and concise linkage youve provided that clared up a lot. Many thanks.... Ive also seen those 2 photos' before somewhere, with poor Teiji looking like a just caught & very disappointed escapee' from a 19th century sanitarium; the Canadian playing for Wembley looking like he's getting psyched just before a Paris-Berlin Overlander Automobile Race, either the driver or navigator of Team Stutts. powered by a Messerschmidt 48 valve 650hp aeroplane engine ....

Last edited:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
Awesome post hoser. Greg Harrison made my mask, and yes, it was custom flush to the face, simply distributing the pucks impact which was like being walloped up-side of the head by Popeye with a Paddle that you never saw comin. Very interesting and concise linkage youve provided that clared up a lot. Many thanks.... Ive also seen those 2 photos' before somewhere, with poor Teiji looking like a just caught & very disappointed escapee' from a 19th century sanitarium; the Canadian playing for Wembley looking like he's getting psyched just before a Paris-Berlin Overlander Automobile Race, either the driver or navigator of Team Stutts. powered by a Messerschmidt 48 valve 650hp aeroplane engine ....

I saw those two photos in a Goalie History book (I WANT to say written by Macfarlane, but I know I'm wrong)-not saying that's where Hoser got them, but where I saw the pics (and which was a bulk of my first research on Hockey Masks :naughty:)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I saw those two photos in a Goalie History...

As long as you dont plagiarize word for word, put em' in a Barrel full O' Monkeys n' shake em up a bit, you should be good to go TL. And werent' we just discussing, how when you think you've got it figured....

along comes some hoser ta wet ya'll down with yet more of the full story?.. :biglaugh:

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
I saw those two photos in a Goalie History book (I WANT to say written by Macfarlane, but I know I'm wrong)-not saying that's where Hoser got them, but where I saw the pics (and which was a bulk of my first research on Hockey Masks :naughty:)

I just found them on the internet. :D

darkhorse686

Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
I assume St.Laurent was the last of the breed to be wearing the full fiberglass mask (albeit the Jacques Plante' type, but still)?.....

Yes St. Laurent was the last. Bizzarely he wore one in an NHL game as late as 1990

And Hoser, that huge post was excellent

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
As long as you dont plagiarize word for word, put em' in a Barrel full O' Monkeys n' shake em up a bit, you should be good to go TL. And werent' we just discussing, how when you think you've got it figured....

along comes some hoser ta wet ya'll down with yet more of the full story?.. :biglaugh:

Hmmmm...you may be on to something there K :naughty:

Yea, I figured someone with more knowledge would come hankering in :)

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Tony had bad eyesite & wore contacts' which often popped out during a game. The goggle work over the eyes was added to his mask to provide for additional protection should an errant stick or puck hit him in the eye which with hard contacts could have caused considerable damage...

Good thing I was fearless as a teenage goalie because I was playing with hard contact lenses in the early 70's, and wearing the Jacques Plante fiberglass model. I shudder to think now how all it would have taken was one stick, skate or puck edge coming through those eyeholes and I would have been in serious trouble.

My best buddy wore the early cage model, like Vladislav Tretiak. Objectively I had to admit that was safer but I was also an artist and painted my Plante mask in Seals colors with the wordmark across the front. Coolness trumped safety!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Here's a rather odd looking 'old-style' mask...it makes his head look freakin huge or like an alien.

I've always believed Corrado was an Alien-Human Hybrid. The names a dead giveaway. Sweeping the runways clear with a Sherwood on the Nazca Plains in anticipation of the Starships return... Greg Harrison made that mask. Extra elongated upper cranium built special for that particular breed of genetic engineering.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad