TSN: The Drouin Saga Part III "Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Drouin"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlavorFlav

Feb 26, 2003
Visit site
Hmmmm, I forgot that we have the Sabres 2nd round pick this year. That means we could potentially have a top 10 pick and two picks between 30 and 40 along with whatever else we can get for our dead weight at the deadline. It we be a good opportunity to reload before next years regular season, especially if they decide to shut Carey Price down for the rest of the year.

It's true, we would be in a great position to draft this year, but guaranteed Habs will raffle away at least 2 of those high picks in some massive-overpayment-reaction-trade to compensate this pitiful season.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
I like the idea of the acquisition (at a fair price) if he plays wing with Galchenyuk. That would help the top 6. But Therrien has only used Galchenyuk the 6th most among forwards this season, so I'm reluctant to believe the addition of Drouin would change much in terms of MT placing players in their right chair.

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Ok I get it!!!11!! For now TB is playing tough to get but they must be thinking since we can't win a game.. If I was TB i'd do it NOW before MB realises this and our picks are worth somtn to other teams!

We suck, our draft picks are worth waaaayy more since we'll draft top 10, follow my logic here for a moment, we do this trade and then we win the cup!!!

Who's tha sucka now :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Based on what?

Well, nobody in our entire system has better hands, is more nimble and has better vision.

Still, there's quite a few forwards in on the team (and in the system) that are actually better players than Drouin at the moment.

Hence why nobody really agrees about him.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I don't think they have actually. If he doesn't start to produce in the AHL soon his value might decrease a little bit and his draft rank might not change this.

40-50 points forward in the AHL rarely translate into star players.

The top 30 forward right now :

Kane : never played in the AHL
Benn : never played in the AHL
Seguin : never played in the AHL
Tarasenko : never played in the AHL
Kuznetsov : never played in the AHL
Wheeler : never played in the AHL
Pavelski : 26 points in 18 AHL games
Panarin : never played in the AHL
Gaudreau : never played in the AHL
Malkin : never played in the AHL
Hall : 34 points in 26 AHL games
Backstrom : never played in the AHL
Sedin : never played in the AHL
Ovechkin : never played in the AHL
Bergeron : 61 points in 68 AHl games
Steen : never played in the AHL
O'reilly : never played in the AHL
Little : 25 points in 34 AHL games
Duchene : never played in the AHL
Kopitar : never played in the AHL
Ryan : 76 points in 70 AHL games
MacKinnon : never played in the AHL
Eriksson : 71 points in 95 AHL games
Kucherov : 24 points in 17 AHL games
Sharp : 114 points in 163 AHL games
Sedin : never played in the AHL
Spezza : 172 points in 123 AHL games
Patch : 72 points in 82 AHL games
Crosby : never played in the AHL
Hoffman : 169 points in 242 ahl games

In this list only Little, Bergeron, Eriksson, Sharp, Patch and Hoffman played in the AHL and recorded less than a ppg there. Little is not a star player. Bergeron his for his defensive play mainly. Eriksson is nice but certainly not a star player and certainly not a guy teams would have given a lot for when he was young. Same for Sharp. He was traded for almost nothing by the Flyers. Hoffman too soon to tell. Patch is a great player but barely a star player and he is great defensively and big but despite that he had few value before becoming good in the NHL. Drouin is small and not really known for his outstanding defensive play.

The longer Drouin stay in the AHL and the longer he is not firing up the league the lower his value might be. If they are looking at trading him the sooner the better unless he starts dominating the AHL.

Not saying Drouin will lose much value anytime soon. He remains a 20 years old 3rd overall pick so they'll get good offers. But if he stays 30-40 games in the AHL and record 20 something points i doubt the teams will be willing to sell the farm + a good roster player for him.
How about Giroux?
He is the most comparable player to Drouin.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
How about Giroux?
He is the most comparable player to Drouin.

Giroux had 36 points in 38 AHL games so pretty much a ppg. Don't think teams would have sell their farm for him when he was 20 and playing in the AHL though.

BTW my point is not to say Drouin is not good or that there's no player who spent time in the AHL and became star players after. It's not even to say his value will be reduced if he doesn't dominate the AHL. I really don't know what his value might be if TB waits too much and he doesn't do good in the AHL.

It's just i don't think they can wait and wait and wait and wait and wait like we did with Tinordi. If they are looking to trade him i think it must be before next season.

Most star players don't play in the AHL and if they do they don't spend lot of time their and dominate the league day 1. There's exceptions of course but you don't sell your farm or give a very good roster player with a good contract hoping to land one of the exception.

The sample size is too small and i'm sure Drouin will start to do lot of points once he will adjust to the AHL. But if Yzerman absolutely wants to trade him if he waits too much he might be playing a dangerous game. Not all 3rd overall draft picks translate to the NHL. A fair share don't and remains good players but nothing more. The longer he waits with him in the AHL the more questions other DGs will ask. Not about Drouin skills but attitude.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Besides, Bergeron's AHL stint shouldn't even be taken in consideration here, due to the very special circumstances around it.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Galchenyuk + Beaulieu + picks
For
Bickell, and Steve Downie
:sarcasm: :laugh:

Doubt we get Drouin. Sending a scout there is one hell of a smart move to keep fans talking about the possibility of getting Drouin instead of how we've been playing...

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
Is Drouin that far off?
He is coming back from an injury. I would not be surprised if he roar back at some point.

Probably not, he definitely could be a PPG AHLer this year as far as I'm concerned, he's the same age as Giroux was that year where he dominated the AHL and played 42 games with the Flyers.

He's not Giroux obviously but hey, they are probably the 2 most impressive players I've seen in the Q the last 10 years.

Last edited:

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Sending a scout there is one hell of a smart move to keep fans talking about the possibility of getting Drouin instead of how we've been playing...

It didn't work, look at all the threads on our boards, yet I can see the headlines if we get the guy ''MB is a ****ing genious''

diskkkk

Dec 1, 2012
What are the comparables at junior level?

As far as I remember Drouin did over 2 PPG with the Mooseheads at 17-18 years old... Actually almost 2.5PPG at 18 years old. That's just insane.

Granted he played with MacKinnon / Ehlers, but it's still amazing. I saw him play 2 times against the Quebec City Remparts and he's actually the most dominating player i've seen play in junior (in my limited experience attending CHL games).

Regarding his AHL record, he's at 6 pts in 8 gm, too small a sample to judge. I cannot believe he won't tear it appart. I don't think you guys realize the skills this kid has. He wasn't given the chance... and acted like a primadonna. Sequin did the same thing, I can imagine a similar scenario unfold.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
This drama around Drouin reminds me of the time fans thought the habs were getting Hossa. And the time they thought the habs were getting Sundin

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
Rather tank the season get a good pick and trim the fat get rid of the players we don't need as opposed to a player that doesn't pan out. Our handling of these young players is terrible.

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Doubt we get Drouin. If I were Yzerman, I would try and move him asap. As time goes by, his value may decrease. Today 0 points -1. 3 points in 7 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad