TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Alex Emelin would also become a mainstay in the Top-4, and also possibly our best skater on the left side of defense.

That alone should be a reason not to trade for Drouin, unless he can be obtained without moving Beaulieu, which I seriously doubt.

My point had nothing to do with Beaulieu, though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't buy that people are clamoring over Drouin in MTL simply because he's french.

You do not pass up a possible high tier talent like Drouin if you have the chance to get him. We have seen guys like Sequin, Turris etc. be moved with 'potential attitude issues' go on to thrive in new situations.

We have a REAL lack of top 6 talent, we should be excited about the prospect of adding Drouin, the fact that he's somewhat local is nice but ultimately does not matter.

And there are no better top 6 players in the NHL who will be traded other than 6 goal Drouin?

Come on now.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
My point had nothing to do with Beaulieu, though.

Yeah, I realized and edited accordingly.
I mean, I'm all for getting Drouin, as long as we could set a price that makes sense for short and-medium-term reasonable objectives.

And that involves moving Juulsen, not Beaulieu, for a start.

In other words -- wouldn't give the moon for him and would rather get him via Restricted Free Agency if it was possible to squeeze him out of TB/the-team-that-would-trade-for-him.

(We really, really need another very good prospective LD, because our highest upside is probably Simon Bourque at the moment.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, I realized and edited accordingly.
I mean, I'm all for getting Drouin, as long as we could set a price that makes sense for short and-medium-term reasonable objectives.

And that involves moving Juulsen, not Beaulieu, for a start.

I agree, Beaulieu and McCarron are the two guys I'd keep off the table.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Nice title! :laugh:

I'm not gonna lie LG, it took me a few minutes to think that one up:laugh:

HtTJxDz.png

;)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Drouin would instantly become our best LWer after Pacioretty. He's an NHL player and would be a roster player in Montréal, as he should be in Tampa.

If he was ready to be a top 6 forward he would have been there this year, TB had a lot of injuries.

I think he has the potential to be a 1st liner, maybe top 6 by next year, but for right now he's a guy you have to play on the 3rd line and put him out on the PP.

He would be a nice add, but if he costs Beaulieu-McCarron(plus a 1st) because we have to be 25% than any West team, then it's a pass for me.

I'd rather spend 20% of that on a good rental winger and try to sign him like with Petry. Boedker would be ideal but Phoenix is hanging in there for the playoffs...

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
We need a jerry McGuire meme of Bergevin as Cruise looking at the girl who's Drouin, saying "you complete me" and him saying you had me at McCarron and Beaulieu.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Alex Emelin would also become a mainstay in the Top-4, and also possibly our best skater on the left side of defense.

That alone should be a reason not to trade for Drouin, unless he can be obtained without moving Beaulieu, which I seriously doubt.

I mean, if Yzerman would've been satisfied with Juulsen and Andrighetto -- which is probably a reasonable price to pay for a guy like Drouin at this point for a team that isn't in rebuild mode, such a deal would already have been made.

Lets be real though. A fully developped Drouin would be near impossible to acquire while getting a second pairing defenseman could be had at a much lower cost.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
Lets be real though. A fully developped Drouin would be near impossible to acquire while getting a second pairing defenseman could be had at a much lower cost.

Someone gets it! !!!! Second pairing d man =second rounder. .....

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
So if I understand the logic, lets say we were offered to deal Beaulieu and/or McCarron 2 years ago for lets say Kuznetsov, we should have said no, correct? The worst part is Drouin has the potential to be better than Kuz. The kid is not even 21 yet.

Lets face it, there's always an element of risk in every trade. But given the potential reward you could be getting, it may be worth taking that risk... if we want to this team to finally become a powerhouse.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Star players get traded, it happens. If he keeps butting heads with management he'll play on 4-5 or 6 teams during his career not one.

Not sure what you mean by "second pairing defenseman"? If you're talking Beaulieu he has 1st pair potential, just the same as Drouin could be 1st line LW.

The issue for the Habs is a trade probably costs McCarron, who's upside is an elite #2 2 way center and Beaulieu who's upside is a 1st pair d-man PLUS probably a 1st rounder(potential top 6 F top 4 D) to put 25% more than a Western team.

If you are doing that for an established NHL player at 50-55 points who has 80 point potential, I can see it...but Drouin is 1-2 years from that. Too risky to pay THAT much.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Keep in mind that this board has a fixation on size and we haven't seen a prospect like McCarron in a while. It explains some of the posts...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Well, Beaulieu is nowadays on the first pairing and our best choice at this spot. If the idea is to make a cup run this season, then the Drouin trade make us absolutely worse. In that case, better put everyone For Sale.

Not to mention Drouin might not develop much further for all we know.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Keep in mind that this board has a fixation on size and we haven't seen a prospect like McCarron in a while. It explains some of the posts...

NHL teams also are.

If Johansen was 5'9" do you think Nashville trades Seth Jones for him?

Having a 6'6" center that can produce offense PLUS be an above average defender is a huge asset. Just look at the ridiculous price Carolina paid for J.Staal, contract plus assets.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Would be very, very wary of trading McCarron. As others have said, he has a unique skillset.

Especially for a guy like Drouin, who is promising but not a sure thing.

If I'm getting rid of McCarron, it's in a package for someone who will definitively make our offense better, right now. A top 3 guy. Drouin isn't that.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So if I understand the logic, lets say we were offered to deal Beaulieu and/or McCarron 2 years ago for lets say Kuznetsov, we should have said no, correct? The worst part is Drouin has the potential to be better than Kuz. The kid is not even 21 yet.

Lets face it, there's always an element of risk in every trade. But given the potential reward you could be getting, it may be worth taking that risk... if we want to this team to finally become a powerhouse.

But it's not Kunetsov, it's Drouin. A guy with 6 goals who hasn't shown he can play in the NHL and is demanding a trade as a 20 y.o.

Risk is a part of all trades but there is varying degrees of risk and giving up a top 2/4 young defencman and an ahl rookie all star with size and a 1st is way to much a price to pay for way too much risk IMO.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
If Beaulieu is a second pairing D-Men, Drouin is a sheltered 3rd liner....

So Beaulieu is a a top pairing defenseman in virtue of playing with Subban? Do you consider him better than Petry already? Don't get me wrong, I like Beaulieu. I see him down the road as a solid top 4 contributor. His offense has yet to translate in the NHL but the potential is there.

I'm not arguing the fact trading him wouldn't hurt, it would. I'm not even giving you the guarantee Drouin will be a superstar. All I'm saying is he has a high potential to be and thus is worth the risk, imo. We need game breaking talent on offense.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

The fixation for size stems from this team not having any in eons of years. Nobody on this board is too much in a hurry to trade away Gallagher or Carr and both are considered smaller fwds, hell, everyone wants Drouin and he's also considered small (not Gionta small but not Pacioretty big)

I'm thinking most people here would be comfortable with Gallagher, Drouin, Carr, Plekanec in the top 9 as long as you can balance it with bigger fwds, it's all good.

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
If Beaulieu is a second pairing D-Men, Drouin is a sheltered 3rd liner....

Beaulieu's potential is a solid second pair d man. Drouin's potential is ppg top line forward. We have a chance that we rarely get we have a chance to get top line talent without selling the farm. Drouin's progression is pretty much the same as Galchenyuk's but with more potential. Would you trade a Beaulieu for a Galchenyuk? I would. Is there a risk? Always, ask Pittsburgh about the established winger they traded for. .......

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
But it's not Kunetsov, it's Drouin. A guy with 6 goals who hasn't shown he can play in the NHL and is demanding a trade as a 20 y.o.

Risk is a part of all trades but there is varying degrees of risk and giving up a top 2/4 young defencman and an ahl rookie all star with size and a 1st is way to much a price to pay for way too much risk IMO.

Keep in mind Kuznetsov is almost three years older than Drouin. Last year in 80 games he posted the following:

11G 26A 37Pts

Last year in 70 games, Drouin has posted the following... and keep in mind he is 3 years younger:

4G 28A 32Pts

So I am asking you this again. Last year, you are offered Kuznetsov for Beaulieu and/or McCarron. Do you do it or not? Do you take the risk?

Keeping in mind that I believe Drouin's potential to be even better than Kuznetsov's I say it's worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->