TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Whats the most valuable asset Bergevin has traded so far in his GM role? Collberg, Sekac or a 2nd round pick? i'm trying to decide. For Collberg i'm assuming he already knew he was gonna suck after seeing him in the system for almost 2 years and not develop in the slightest. Same for Sekac.

Its like he doesn't want to take any chances. If you don't take chances, you can't win big (or lose big) and things will stay the same.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Whats the most valuable asset Bergevin has traded so far in his GM role? Collberg, Sekac or a 2nd round pick? i'm trying to decide. For Collberg i'm assuming he already knew he was gonna suck after seeing him in the system for almost 2 years and not develop in the slightest. Same for Sekac.

Its like he doesn't want to take any chances. If you don't take chances, you can't win big (or lose big) and things will stay the same.

It was probably the caproom taken by Gonchar.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's about all the Habs' could realistically give up without creating a hole somewhere else. If they need to add a pick... maybe a 1st next year that is lottery protected, but even that's a lot.

Sherback + Juulsen is actually a good enough package to not justify giving away a first as well.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
A fun thing if Bergevin happens to get Drouin for cheaper than we expect will be the spontaneous praise he then gets from a board currently hating him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
A fun thing if Bergevin happens to get Drouin for cheaper than we expect will be the spontaneous praise he then gets from a board currently hating him.

....but then again, expectations for the "price" are all over the place.

Some would not trade Eller for Drouin.
Some would trade Galch + Beaulieu + 1st for Drouin.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
i'm having trouble reading about some of the names being tossed around for Drouin in mainstream media (Shattenkirk for example).

It's hard to pin down Drouin's value, but his value IMO, shouldn't be higher or all that higher than what the Yotes' got for Kyle Turris a few years ago (which was David Runblad, can't remember if a pick was involved).

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal

Yeah, If he does happen to get him cheaper and fires Therrien so that Drouin and Galchenyuk prosper, then he will get some props from me.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
He's very calculated, one might argue too calculated when it comes to trades. AKA, doesn't go for big splash gamble.

Yet, people fear he'd trade the future away for nothing. Makes no sense.

You could argue Gainey hadn't given away any asset of substantial value before THE trade.

Besides I think it's more a combination of different factors. The team hurting so badly, the divisional rival premium, the french star factor with Drouin...all potential ingredients for a disaster trade.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
i'm having trouble reading about some of the names being tossed around for Drouin in mainstream media (Shattenkirk for example).

It's hard to pin down Drouin's value, but his value IMO, shouldn't be higher or all that higher than what the Yotes' got for Kyle Turris a few years ago (which was David Runblad, can't remember if a pick was involved).

And a 2nd.

And this was before Rundblad completely flopped (his days as a possible Nicklas Lidstrom were long gone, however).

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Drouin is a high-risk, high-reward kind of move.

It could backfire and you could end up losing a few important assets.

But he has a lot of upside still. He's highly skilled and there's still a lot of value there.

You have to make that move if you are only giving up prospects.

It could backfire but thems the breaks when it comes to being a GM. Can't play it safe forever.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You could argue Gainey hadn't given away any asset of substantial value before THE trade.

Besides I think it's more a combination of different factors. The team hurting so badly, the divisional rival premium, the french factor, the Tinordi trade...all potential elements for a disaster trade.

Ribeiro had substantial value (and he indeed gave him away).

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

They gave a 2nd as well as Rundblad.

It's hard to say "shouldn't be all that higher than Rundblad" because Rundblad was seen as a pretty high price to pay at the time. A lot of people thought Turris was a bust and the Sens got fleeced.

So if you're looking at an equivalent piece from Montreal it would probably be our top prospect too...so, McCarron and a 2nd for Drouin?

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Drouin is 5.11, 20 years old and a left winger shooting from the left.

Why do we need to overpay for this guy again?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
It's not going to happen people and he would just be put on a line with DD anyways.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

But he has a lot of upside still. He's highly skilled and there's still a lot of value there.

It could backfire but thems the breaks when it comes to being a GM. Can't play it safe forever.

All depends on what you're giving up. You have to draw the line somewhere. Using prospects that are similar to Drouin, like Hudon or Ghetto, would at least help ensure that we're not perpetuating more redundancy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Hence why Juulsen is an important asset you can give, due to his depth chart possible spots are taken for a while (and bottom-pairing D-Mens are easy to get anyways).

Sherback is... a bit more complicated. Not many prospects on that side.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
This isn't the time to give up assets for a gamble player -- spend more to get a proven player, screw all these small unproven players, it won't help.

Marc Bergevin is only digging a deeper grave by acquiring these types of players.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
All depends on what you're giving up. You have to draw the line somewhere. Using prospects that are similar to Drouin, like Hudon or Ghetto, would at least help ensure that we're not perpetuating more redundancy.

Hummm... Hudon is ... a completely different player than Drouin.

I mean, in a trade for Drouin, I know I'd want to use Reway, but I don't think he has much value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad