TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You're right Montreal doesn't have any small skilled forwards in our system like Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, Ghetto, Audette, Bozon etc. who have the TALENT to score 6 goals in 90+ NHL games.

I mean we have so many hulking power forward centre men who are AHL All Stars as rookies like McCarron... Wait, just McCarron. Oh right... :sarcasm:

All kidding aside, Drouin is the type of player you would want to complement precisely a guy like McCarron, adding skill to a line with beefy goal scoring potential

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
TB did trade Connolly a former 6th overall pick to Boston, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they trade within the division. Different players of course, but there is precedent for TB trading to a rival.

I'll also throw this out there. TB needs defence and Beaulieu has played significantly more mins since mid-december, in a very anti-Therrien like manner, so maybe there's been mutual interest for a deal? Just speculating.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
TB did trade Connolly a former 6th overall pick to Boston, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they trade within the division. Different players of course, but there is precedent for TB trading to a rival.

I'll also throw this out there. TB needs defence and Beaulieu has played significantly more mins since mid-december, in a very anti-Therrien like manner, so maybe there's been mutual interest for a deal? Just speculating.

Hedman-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn

in the top four. They're not really hurting for defense and have Slater Koekkoek and Anthony DeAngelo in the system. Plus, have you seen Markov play lately? There's a reason Beaulieu is playing more minutes. We can't afford to give up Beaulieu otherwise our left side defense is Markov-Emelin-Tinordi/Barberio.

RE Connolly: he's pretty much a middle-six forward, more like a third-liner. Drouin still has that high-end potential.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Oh boy... The M.O.A.R big argument... Are you really comparing the talent level of any of our current prospect to Drouin? Andrighetto, Bozon, Reway, Drouin...all the same to you?

I am confident that it would not even take MB a split second to pull the trigger on a trade to land Drouin for McCarron. The next second he would be running to the nearest depanneur to buy some lottery tickets.

It's not a knock on McCarron but the talent level of Drouin and his upside is so high that it's a chance you can't possibly refuse to take.

It's not just because he's big. He's big and talented and shown growth at every level he's been in and can do things that we need and don't have anyone else to do right now or in the future.

As for Drouin, if he was so talented. Why hasn't it translated into success on a very good Tampa team yet? He's not a sniper/Gia scorer which is what we actually need right now. So even in a best case scenario, he comes here for Big Mac and Beau and has what to offer exactly? We lose a top 4 D for a player who may or may not put up numbers in the NHL and will be a good passer to a player we don't have to score the goals.

This trade only makes sense to me because he's a montrealer. If he was from Sweden, Norway etc, no way he gets 2 threads dedicated because he asked for a trade. In fact, no one has mentioned the lack of character of a player on an ELC demanding a trade yet.

I wouldn't mind having Drouin in our team, I just don't see this superstar in the making player worthy of our best prospects. I see a young player with upside but is a looong way from realizing it at the NHL level.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
A trade for Drouin would definitely have to involve Beaulieu. If Colorado and Winnipeg want him NB is the only tradeable asset that could top their offers imo.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
With the Stamkos thing over their heads, I would be surprised if they let Drouin go unless they are getting back a potentially impactful young F.

Maybe that means Eberle RNH Yakupov or for the Habs Galchenyuk.

I would love to be a fly in the wall in Yzerman's office and know what the conversation is.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Does everyone here know that Drouin is not the best player avalilble for trade and that he doesn't fill the main need we have which is scoring goals?

Just because he became possibly available doesn't mean we HAVE to trade for him even is he's a Quebecor. I know, shocking right?!

If the price is too high, we should turn our attention to an actual NHL player who's actually scored goals and actually won a cup. Perhaps such an individual would be a better option than an enigmatic 20 y.o old who hasn't proven anything and who's apparent asking price is most of our quality farm assets. Just saying, this whole Drouin situation has gone out of control a little perspective is needed at this point.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Does everyone here know that Drouin is not the best player avalilble for trade and that he doesn't fill the main need we have which is scoring goals?

Just because he became possibly available doesn't mean we HAVE to trade for him even is he's a Quebecor. I know, shocking right?!

If the price is too high, we should turn our attention to an actual NHL player who's actually scored goals and actually won a cup. Perhaps such an individual would be a better option than an enigmatic 20 y.o old who hasn't proven anything and who's apparent asking price is most of our quality farm assets. Just saying, this whole Drouin situation has gone out of control a little perspective is needed at this point.

Drouin is a good young player for the future but short term acquiring him may not give the results people hope for.

In addition, depending on the price I'm certain we'd be better long term either.

At right price I'd welcome him with open arms though.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Drouin is a good young player for the future but short term acquiring him may not give the results people hope for.

In addition, depending on the price I'm certain we'd be better long term either.

I don't think there's anyone here that wouldn't want him on the Habs. The price is the trickiest part and so far the rumoured players such as Beau, McCarron etc would leave more of a hole than filling another with Drouin

Maybe it'll be worth it in the long run but we're in our window now. We need an established player that can help us now. I think we'd be better off trading those assets or even more for a better and established player that addresses our current needs.

Just think this Drouin trade has gotten out of hand a little and ultimately, he's not the best fit for Montreal over other players like Eberle, Staal, Stamkos etc etc etc who should be our actual targets.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

What's a Quebecor? lol!

Stamkos might not be the greatest fit for the Leafs at this point of their development curve but you know what? I can guarantee you that they will try whatever they can to prey him out off Tampa Bay if they have a chance to. Even via a trade if this is what's needed.

The reason is simple, hockey is also entertainment. It's also about emotions and giving people what they want.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan-drouin/

Talent analysis:

"Drouin is a wizard with the puck who lit up the highlight reels by making fans' jaws drop and opposing defenders look foolish in junior hockey. has magical stickhandling ability with great lower-body strength making it nearly impossible to knock him off the puck. His on-ice vision and an ability to slow the game down makes him a threat both in scoring a goal himself and setting up a teammate with an excellent chance. He has been more of a playmaker than a scorer so far in his NHL career but his production should increase as he gains experience."

Future

..."Playing in a lower line role on a team with several dynamic scorers he had 28 assists, one less than leading scorer Steven Stamkos. Drouin should continue to improve as he gains experience and matures physically and could be among the league's top forwards in a few years."

There is always a risk associated with any players but given the talent level of Drouin - regardless of the need for a passer or a finisher- added to the fact he is a local talent, it becomes a no brainer to attempt to get him with the Habs.

I guess McCarron could always become John Leclair 2.0 and align 40 goals seasons but he could also translate into a Bryan Boyle which far from being useless would be pale in comparison to an exciting offensive dynamo with the potential of being among the top point producer in the entire league.

Yes it's a risk. But it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What's a Quebecor? lol!

Stamkos might not be the greatest fit for the Leafs at this point of their development curve but you know what? I can guarantee you that they will try whatever they can to prey him out off Tampa Bay if they have a chance to. Even via a trade if this is what's needed.

The reason is simple, hockey is also entertainment. It's also about emotions and giving people what they want.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jonathan-drouin/

Talent analysis:

"Drouin is a wizard with the puck who lit up the highlight reels by making fans' jaws drop and opposing defenders look foolish in junior hockey. has magical stickhandling ability with great lower-body strength making it nearly impossible to knock him off the puck. His on-ice vision and an ability to slow the game down makes him a threat both in scoring a goal himself and setting up a teammate with an excellent chance. He has been more of a playmaker than a scorer so far in his NHL career but his production should increase as he gains experience."

Future

..."Playing in a lower line role on a team with several dynamic scorers he had 28 assists, one less than leading scorer Steven Stamkos. Drouin should continue to improve as he gains experience and matures physically and could be among the league's top forwards in a few years."

There is always a risk associated with any players but given the talent level of Drouin - regardless of the need for a passer or a finisher- added to the fact he is a local talent, it becomes a no brainer to attempt to get him with the Habs.

I guess McCarron could always become John Leclair 2.0 and align 40 goals seasons but he could also translate into a Bryan Boyle which far from being useless would be pale in comparison to an exciting offensive dynamo with the potential of being among the top point producer in the entire league.

Yes it's a risk. But it's a risk I'd be willing to take.

People would have said the same about other 3rd overall picks like Svitov, Barker, Stuart, Dumont etc. All have very good talent analysis like the one above and turned out to not translate into the NHL.

Let's call a spade a spade and say this urge to trade for a distgruntled 20 y.o who hasn't proven anything in the NHL is because he's from Montreal. I would love to see tye reaction if Galchenyuk demanded a trade last year or if Drouins name was Drewin and he was from the USHL development program. The amount of hate and vitriol against him would be incredible. I'm sure there would be a massive urge to trade a considerable number of our assets for someone like that. Give me a break.

#drouinnotwhathabsneed

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013

I don't see how adding him wouldn't be an improvement even short term, he would be an upgrade on Eller offensively and we could slide the latter to 3rd line center or just trade him.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Drouin would instantly become our best LWer after Pacioretty. He's an NHL player and would be a roster player in Montréal, as he should be in Tampa.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
People would have said the same about other 3rd overall picks like Svitov, Barker, Stuart, Dumont etc. All have very good talent analysis like the one above and turned out to not translate into the NHL.

Let's call a spade a spade and say this urge to trade for a distgruntled 20 y.o who hasn't proven anything in the NHL is because he's from Montreal. I would love to see tye reaction if Galchenyuk demanded a trade last year or if Drouins name was Drewin and he was from the USHL development program. The amount of hate and vitriol against him would be incredible. I'm sure there would be a massive urge to trade a considerable number of our assets for someone like that. Give me a break.

#drouinnotwhathabsneed

That's exactly it, caught every single one of us. Especially considering he's not actually from Montreal.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
With the Stamkos thing over their heads, I would be surprised if they let Drouin go unless they are getting back a potentially impactful young F.

Maybe that means Eberle RNH Yakupov or for the Habs Galchenyuk.

I would love to be a fly in the wall in Yzerman's office and know what the conversation is.
This makes zero sense. How can Yzerman ask for talented proven top 6 guys with high ceilings, except for Yakupov, for a guy they can't keep on their NHL roster.
Drouin's value isn't as high as it once was. I can't believe a GM would offer a young strong proven player for Drouin.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Drouin help us score more. I actually think we need a playmaker as much as we could use a goalscorer. Patch, Plek, Gallagher, Galch, they can score goals. Heck, Eller scored 15 as a 3rd center with terrible wingers. Weise already has like 11.
We have nobody that can dangle the puck and set up guys though. We're so desperate for one that people call DD a playmaker.
Drouin has the potential to be Joe Thornton level for playmaking. He turned Cheechoo into a 56 goal scorer, 93pts!
So if Drouin can reach his potential, he will help a lot of players score more. The question is whether or not he'll reach it, and what would the cost be.

I agree, Beaulieu+Mac+pick is way too much. Can't believe Ferraro said he wouldn't take that deal. Although he did admit not knowing much about big Mac.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I don't buy that people are clamoring over Drouin in MTL simply because he's french.

You do not pass up a possible high tier talent like Drouin if you have the chance to get him. We have seen guys like Sequin, Turris etc. be moved with 'potential attitude issues' go on to thrive in new situations.

We have a REAL lack of top 6 talent, we should be excited about the prospect of adding Drouin, the fact that he's somewhat local is nice but ultimately does not matter.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Drouin would instantly become our best LWer after Pacioretty. He's an NHL player and would be a roster player in Montréal, as he should be in Tampa.

Alex Emelin would also become a mainstay in the Top-4, and also possibly our best skater on the left side of defense.

That alone should be a reason not to trade for Drouin, unless he can be obtained without moving Beaulieu, which I seriously doubt.

I mean, if Yzerman would've been satisfied with Juulsen and Andrighetto -- which is probably a reasonable price to pay for a guy like Drouin at this point for a team that isn't in rebuild mode, such a deal would already have been made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad