TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
No way Tampa accepts that, just no way. A former 60 goal scorer (who's also scored 50 once and 40+ twice) and a potential first line winger for a potential top line centre and a 3rd line centre?

You missed my ninja edit where I said I was channeling Gaston Therrien !

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
No way Tampa accepts that, just no way. A former 60 goal scorer (who's also scored 50 once and 40+ twice) and a potential first line winger for a potential top line centre and a 3rd line centre?

Stamkos has to be the guy who would fetch the biggest return out of all the rumored players.

If we DID trade for him... Given the circumstances (the uncertainty of him resigning, his value dropping as we get closer to the deadline as Tampa won't want to lose him for nothing)

this would get it done:

Galchenyuk, McCarron, 1st Round Pick.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think that's over payment. Personally, and I called it when McCarron was called up that he would be underwhelming, I believe that McCarron will end up the better player of the two. Honestly. All things considered McCarron will be the better more useful player.

We need to hang on to him no matter what, he will be our first profitable harvest from the farm in a long time. Since Gallagher atleast.

The thing about McCarron is that he's had a meteoritic climb the last 2 years, whereas Drouin's stock has fallen a little due to his injuries and his inability to force his coach to give him ice time. Still, Drouin is ahead of McCarron, and always had more talent, but McCarron is a very unique package. And I don't know if it's written in stone that Drouin is > McCarron as far as both player's NHL careers are concerned. Chances are Drouin will be better, but he could also keep being the injury prone entitled defensively unaware/unwilling winger in 2-3 years. Things can change fast after the draft. I just wouldn't bet against McCarron. Ever since that year after the draft he's always taken steps forward, who knows when it will stop ?

Well I'm glad that you have your sanity in order. I thought you lost it!

I did lose it a long time ago.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Stamkos has to be the guy who would fetch the biggest return out of all the rumored players.

If we DID trade for him... Given the circumstances (the uncertainty of him resigning, his value dropping as we get closer to the deadline as Tampa won't want to lose him for nothing)

this would get it done:

C'mon. Stamkos is a 5 month rental. No GM in his right mind will pay anything close to that for an impending UFA who will cost $10+ million to resign. Not even mentioning Galchenyuk and McCarron's cap-friendly salaries.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
The thing about McCarron is that he's had a meteoritic climb the last 2 years, whereas Drouin's stock has fallen a little due to his injuries and his inability to force his coach to give him ice time. Still, Drouin is ahead of McCarron, and always had more talent, but McCarron is a very unique package. And I don't know if it's written in stone that Drouin is > McCarron as far as both player's NHL careers are concerned. Chances are Drouin will be better, but he could also keep being the injury prone entitled defensively unaware/unwilling winger in 2-3 years. Things can change fast after the draft. I just wouldn't bet against McCarron. Ever since that year after the draft he's always taken steps forward, who knows when it will stop ?

Well that's just it. Chances are. When this story first broke the comparisons to the seguin trade were terrible. Seguin was going to be a star I felt at the time everyone knew that. Granted he may have become better than some expected but we knew he'd be good. I don't think the same could be said of Drouin, we don't know he will be a star. As you said he could just end up being injury prone and unaware.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
C'mon. Stamkos is a 5 month rental. No GM in his right mind will pay anything close to that for an impending UFA who will cost $10+ million to resign. Not even mentioning Galchenyuk and McCarron's cap-friendly salaries.

You might be right. But that package as I said would have Stamkos in a Habs jersey. Tampa would not trade Stamkos to us for a bargain like they might for another team. A team not in the conference could probably get Stamkos for certified top line roster player and top draft pick.... If deadline creeps up and Tampa panics maybe a top prosect and top draft pick.

Remeber... Rental yes, huge salary impending yes... but it's steven f'en stamkos man. And he's 25 years old don't forget.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal

this would get it done:

fortunately Molson would fire you long before you put pen to paper in that craptastic trade

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
They would accept it if they know he won't resign with them. Why lose him for nothing! But it would take more. Add a 1st and Andrighetto.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

No team is going to pay a super high premium for Stamkos without being able to discuss an extension with him first.
TB will likely grant permission to the other team to discuss it. If an extension is agreed upon, then TB will be able to get more. It's in their best interest to allow it if they know Stamkos won't be back.

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
I'm not a believer in the "won't trade within conference" utter BS but if we're talking about two players like Stankos and Drouin, I think red lights would start going off that you don't want these guys going to the same team lol

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Drouin has the hype though being a 3rd overall and from the Q.

I'd rather keep Mac though. Drouin does not fill a need for us atm. Mac does.

What? Drouin certainly fills a HUGE need for us. Atm, yesterday and tomorrow. TALENT.

If anything, McCarron doesn't fill any need for us atm. Maybe tomorrow he does. He's even more unproven than Drouin and not even in his wildest dream he can imagine having the talent Drouin posseses.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
fortunately Molson would fire you long before you put pen to paper in that craptastic trade

Meh if you told me we were getting stamkos for Galchenyuk and McCarron I'd be excited. Like you saw in the Johansen trade, to get Stamkos it's going to take a top roster player, plus. But I digress I'm derailing the topic of this thread which is Drouin.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
What? Drouin certainly fills a HUGE need for us. Atm, yesterday and tomorrow. TALENT.

If anything, McCarron doesn't fill any need for us atm. Maybe tomorrow he does. He's even more unproven than Drouin and not even in his wildest dream he can imagine having the talent Drouin posseses.

You're absolutely right.

This lineup is full of big strong right handed shot power forwards that can play and drop the gloves.

We have too many of this type of player.

Deal McCarron immediately.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

You're right Montreal doesn't have any small skilled forwards in our system like Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, Ghetto, Audette, Bozon etc. who have the TALENT to score 6 goals in 90+ NHL games.

I mean we have so many hulking power forward centre men who are AHL All Stars as rookies like McCarron... Wait, just McCarron. Oh right... :sarcasm:

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
People need to realize drouin has played 89 games in the NHL he scored six goals.

His assist column in that span isn't terrible with 34 helpers.. But he's not the finisher we need.

Still though home town boy playing for us... hard to resist the allure.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
People need to realize drouin has played 89 games in the NHL he scored six goals.

His assist column in that span isn't terrible with 34 helpers.. But he's not the finisher we need.

Still though home town boy playing for us... hard to resist the allure.

I just do see the hype. He has proven nothing.
I would rather try and snag Yakupov who could explode if given the right team and atmosphere. Seeing him and Chuckie together would be amazing.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
You're absolutely right.

This lineup is full of big strong right handed shot power forwards that can play and drop the gloves.

I never said we couldn't use his skillset in the future but he's certainly not ready now and hasn't proven he could play in the NHL. Drouin at least had some interesting streaks at the NHL level.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
You're right Montreal doesn't have any small skilled forwards in our system like Hudon, Reway, Lehkonen, Ghetto, Audette, Bozon etc. who have the TALENT to score 6 goals in 90+ NHL games.

I mean we have so many hulking power forward centre men who are AHL All Stars as rookies like McCarron... Wait, just McCarron. Oh right... :sarcasm:

Oh boy... The M.O.A.R big argument... Are you really comparing the talent level of any of our current prospect to Drouin? Andrighetto, Bozon, Reway, Drouin...all the same to you?

I am confident that it would not even take MB a split second to pull the trigger on a trade to land Drouin for McCarron. The next second he would be running to the nearest depanneur to buy some lottery tickets.

It's not a knock on McCarron but the talent level of Drouin and his upside is so high that it's a chance you can't possibly refuse to take.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Can't believe there's a part 2 for a player who's never coming here.

And yet Nashville has like 10 pages about their blockbuster trade while we are on thread 2 of a player we're never gonna get. Gotta love HF habs fans. :)

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
You're absolutely right.

Except habs want him to play as a big defensive center apparently, so I'm not too sure where you're getting all of that optimism. Tinordi also can drop the gloves and look... Press box. McCarron is going to be good, his ceiling is just not that high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->