the drop of robbie schremp

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
so what's the deal with schremp and why he's dropping so quickly. I remember at one point he was easily a top 4 pick and often times the 3rd player taken. Then he went top 8. Now I'm hearing that not only is he out of the top ten, but he's possibley top 20 or even dropping out of the 1st round? Did his performance decline that badly? What about his potential? is it still as highly regarded as it once was?

Lastly, did he go down or did everyone go up?

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have read that the fact he has asked for a trade as a junior has nothing to do with it. And he does have a good attitude and is also a great guy in the dressing room. Having said all of that you have to wonder why he has dropped. I do not think that it is because other players have increased their value. I still believe that he is one of the best offensive players available.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
There is no one outside of Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Tukonen, Ladd that I would consider taking before Robbie Schremp.(I am of the "Don't take goalies in the first round." club)

Then again, I would have selected O'Sullivan before 20th last year... ;)

sbutler66

Feb 25, 2004
Whatever the reson for the drop, I think if it does transpire a team low downthe order might get themselves a steal with Schremp.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I would be utterly shocked to see Schremp drop past 14th overall. The Edmonton Oilers need to draft skill and if he is there, then they would be well suited to pick him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think there's a story here. I guess Schremp could pull an O'Sullivan this year, but I doubt it. He won't last past the middle of the 1st round, and even that's pushing it IMO.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
George Bachul said:
There is no one outside of Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Tukonen, Ladd that I would consider taking before Robbie Schremp.(I am of the "Don't take goalies in the first round." club)

Then again, I would have selected O'Sullivan before 20th last year... ;)

Definitely agree with you on that one.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I read on here that he was being benched frequently in the playoffs.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
I read on here that he was being benched frequently in the playoffs.

Yup that's true, not so much in the first 2 rounds of the playoffs but in the semi final against the Guelph Storm, a series which went 7 games Schremp was on the bench sometimes not even getting one shift at all during the 3rd period whether the Knights were winning or losing. Dale Hunter seems to have a problem with the kid, I think his drop in the draft order is definitely a result of him being labeled as a problem child. Still a very talented kid though just has the wrong attitude.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.

Yeah if the Oilers pick up someone like Stafford or Chipchura instead of Schremp or Picard if they fall to 14 I will be less proud of KP and our scouting staff.

I am a Pouliot fan but I would give a solid portion of my left nut to have drafted Parise at 17 last year and Schremp at 14 this year. Two potential franchise players in back to back drafts.

O well...let's not miss the boat this year...like slats said we NEED to draft skill and a finisher with our first two picks...unless we move and grab a guy like Tukkonen.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
salostyle said:
Yeah if the Oilers pick up someone like Stafford or Chipchura instead of Schremp or Picard if they fall to 14 I will be less proud of KP and our scouting staff.

I am a Pouliot fan but I would give a solid portion of my left nut to have drafted Parise at 17 last year and Schremp at 14 this year. Two potential franchise players in back to back drafts.

O well...let's not miss the boat this year...like slats said we NEED to draft skill and a finisher with our first two picks...unless we move and grab a guy like Tukkonen.
Ummmm... Who would want part of your nuts? I sure wouldn't, I have two right here, and back-ups, too!

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
TJF said:
Still a very talented kid though just has the wrong attitude.

seriously people, aside form the fact that Rob claims to be a Yankees fan, there is no attitude problems! I don't think anyone could be as nice as Rob in a situation of being called "great" since your 11...with that considered he's as down to earth as anyone could expect! DESPITE ALL OF YOU spreading lies about the kid, atleast none of you have had the awdasity to question his work ethic!

44=god!

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Someone asked me back in October why I thought Schremp wasn't a top ten pick. Here's my reply and I think it's held pretty true...

Alot of players that break into the CHL are forced to earn their ice time and prove that they can play a solid defensive game. Schremp was pretty much handed 1st line ice time (and played well). So last year we pretty much saw what he could do with first line ice time. Alot of players didn't get that oppurtunity last year but will this year and catch up to him offensively plus their play without the puck will likely be better due to the fact they had to work on it their rookie years.

Also one of the hardest things for a player to do is balance the offensive and defensive aspects of the game and Schremp hasn't proved he can do it. Also I thought that he was fairly physically mature last year which limits his upside a little.

Plus I don't think that he crazy outstanding speed which offensive players his size would need in the NHL (I say his skating was good by NHL standards). He might fall into the trap of trying to play a game that won't work for him in the pro's, it's happened to prospects before.

I still think that he's worth a first round pick due to his strong offensive skills but I think that he's a good bet to drop out of the top ten for the above reasons.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Vlad The Impaler said:
I see to remember you having him 3rd overall I think. Is this still the case?

To me, after Ovechkin and Malkin, the draft is a complete and utter mess. With that I mean that I believe that there are seriously 10-15 guys who could not be considered reaches going in the top 5. It's crazy.

And with that, If I were personally drafting, I'd roll the dice on a player like Schremp at 3, yes. There really isn't anyone else who really has blown me away. The times I've seen Barker, I just havent been impressed. Same with Ladd. Picard is an enigma. And when it comes to guys like Thelen or Radulov, I really don't know cause I've never seen them play, and I trust my own eyes over scouting reports.

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Til the End of Time said:
Why would all of us be spreading lies about Schremp? I doubt anyone has a hidden agenda against him. People are just saying what they have heard, which is that he has an attitude problem.

tell that to Dr Holiday...whos' trying to "fight the evil schremp cult"

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
seriously people, aside form the fact that Rob claims to be a Yankees fan, there is no attitude problems! I don't think anyone could be as nice as Rob in a situation of being called "great" since your 11...with that considered he's as down to earth as anyone could expect! DESPITE ALL OF YOU spreading lies about the kid, atleast none of you have had the awdasity to question his work ethic!

44=god!

Your right I don't know anything about the kid at all but just looking at the facts something has to be up with him. Earlier in the year he walked out on his junior team (Missisauga) and demanded a trade to a contender. Than he gets shipped off to London who did set the record for most points in a season. Than when the playoffs start his own coach and the guy who traded a lot to get him ends up benching one of his best offensive players for the most important series of the playoffs. I'm not spreading lies but if an outsider looks in on the Schremp situation you can clearly see that something just isn't right.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
There are many many reasons for a player to ride the pine. Unless I hear from someone who knows him well enough to say "Robbie has an attitude problem" or something like that I say that if he is still around at 14 in the draft the Oilers must grab him.

Prucha73

Brock said:
To me, after Ovechkin and Malkin, the draft is a complete and utter mess. With that I mean that I believe that there are seriously 10-15 guys who could not be considered reaches going in the top 5. It's crazy.

And with that, If I were personally drafting, I'd roll the dice on a player like Schremp at 3, yes. There really isn't anyone else who really has blown me away. The times I've seen Barker, I just havent been impressed. Same with Ladd. Picard is an enigma. And when it comes to guys like Thelen or Radulov, I really don't know cause I've never seen them play, and I trust my own eyes over scouting reports.

What do you think of Tukonen?

thestonedkoala

I don't know if Stafford and Radulov are gone, Schremp won't last past 12 :D

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Prucha73 said:
What do you think of Tukonen?

Tukonen is a guy who interests me. He looked alright at the WJC's, but thats the only time I've seen him play and it really isnt a good measuring stick for basing your full opinion on. There are so many conflicted reports on him though. It seems people either really like him, or have no interest in him.

TJF

Feb 27, 2002
London, ON
Visit site
Oilhitch said:
There are many many reasons for a player to ride the pine. Unless I hear from someone who knows him well enough to say "Robbie has an attitude problem" or something like that I say that if he is still around at 14 in the draft the Oilers must grab him.

I agree I still think he'll be a top 15 pick hell even top 10 but I'm just saying his ranking could be much higher if not for all the issues around him. Look what happened to Patrick O'Sullivan last year, great player but had some problems and his stock fell fast, scouts take everything into consideration.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
DESPITE ALL OF YOU spreading lies about the kid, atleast none of you have had the awdasity to question his work ethic!

44=god!

I question his ability to fight threw traffic and muck it up to score goals. Hes not very intense. Though you cant doubt his skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->