OT: The driving/racing/karting/meLVin on ATV/motorsports enthusiast thread

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The one critique of F1 is the lack of passing, the straight dominance of just a few teams. Not that any driver can win a NASCAR race, but only very few have a realistic chance of winning an F1 race. Most drivers are in serious competition for places 5-10, than they are 1 through 3.

But as far as driving goes, and the technical mastery, F1 is a much better product than NASCAR. The races are shorter as well, which is a perk as it frees up more of the day. NASCAR will always have the wow, OMG IS HE STILL ALIVE! factor though, just due to the cramped racing conditions and forced parity between the cars.
The points you make are correct and are both reasons why a lot of my attention has turned to DTM. It has some forced parity and passing of NASCAR, but some of the technicality and aero of F1. Plus the races are short (there are two races) and it can get pretty intense. I love watching classic DTM as some of the cars/rivalries were fantastic. Kind of like watching classic F1 for the engine sounds.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The points you make are correct and are both reasons why a lot of my attention has turned to DTM. It has some forced parity and passing of NASCAR, but some of the technicality and aero of F1. Plus the races are short (there are two races) and it can get pretty intense. I love watching classic DTM as some of the cars/rivalries were fantastic. Kind of like watching classic F1 for the engine sounds.
DTM?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I was reading an article about the 10 best sounding BMW engines ever and it made me watch some great videos (with the sound way up), but it reminded me to share one of my favorite racing related youtube videos. A nice reminder about how any time you think you are driving fast, just watch this. The speed F1 carries is just unreal, and to think Porsche made a car that's faster than that is absurd

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
the more rules they made and them messing with the cars, made nascar boring and set it up that only a few elite teams win. it was way better when the teams had more freedom to try different stuff. most races are boring, with short track being the rare exception.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
That would be huge. Who replaces him? Verstappen at Red Bull is probably the next best driver, but I don't see Red Bull losing consecutive best drivers to Ferrari. And even more juicy, which driver gets displaced to make room for Vettel on a new team? He's still too good and too young to switch circuits. (Although I'd love if he lost his chair and came to NASCAR for a season, like real life Talladega Nights.)
not sure who would replace him, i'm sure they would have someone in mind though. i'm guessing hass would be a likely landing spot for him.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It's a german touring car racing series. It starts in May. I usually watch on youtube. Mercedes just left and Aston Martin is actually taking their place this year. Audi and BMW is the other manufacturer and they employ some of their best factory drivers and historically have had some really famous drivers at some point. Important to note (and a downside for some) is that it is heavily regulated now and all the cars are the same underneath.

But it features some racing like this:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigToe

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Really thinking about getting into F1. Huge NASCAR fan but the product is just terrible.
DO IT. This weekend would have been an ideal race to start with, best GP in the last couple seasons that I can remember off hand. China is in like two weeks I believe, but that can be a pain because of the 2:10am start time. After that they hit Europe for a while and they all have pretty much 7, 8 or 9 am starts if you are on the East Coast. Azerbaijan is always a pretty fun race and Monaco in May is the most famous.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The Blancpain stuff is pretty good. Ferraris, BMWs, Porsches, Audis, McLaren, etc. The races seem pretty competitive although I can't say that I follow it that closely.

Reactions: Ruck Over

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
DO IT. This weekend would have been an ideal race to start with, best GP in the last couple seasons that I can remember off hand. China is in like two weeks I believe, but that can be a pain because of the 2:10am start time. After that they hit Europe for a while and they all have pretty much 7, 8 or 9 am starts if you are on the East Coast. Azerbaijan is always a pretty fun race and Monaco in May is the most famous.
and the most boring :( still have to watch though!

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
The Blancpain stuff is pretty good. Ferraris, BMWs, Porsches, Audis, McLaren, etc. The races seem pretty competitive although I can't say that I follow it that closely.
If Cadillac had kept it's GT team and they were part of this series, it'd be my favorite. Blancpain is similar to the WeatherTech Sportscar series. I give a slight edge to the Europeans. I think the American version Cadillac used to race in was called Pirelli World Challenge, and maybe there was a branding change recently.

Reactions: Jack Straw

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
It's a german touring car racing series. It starts in May. I usually watch on youtube. Mercedes just left and Aston Martin is actually taking their place this year. Audi and BMW is the other manufacturer and they employ some of their best factory drivers and historically have had some really famous drivers at some point. Important to note (and a downside for some) is that it is heavily regulated now and all the cars are the same underneath.

But it features some racing like this:

Haha that was nice.
I was reading an article about the 10 best sounding BMW engines ever and it made me watch some great videos (with the sound way up), but it reminded me to share one of my favorite racing related youtube videos. A nice reminder about how any time you think you are driving fast, just watch this. The speed F1 carries is just unreal, and to think Porsche made a car that's faster than that is absurd

Love videos like this. There’s a channel on YouTube “19Bozzy92” with a lot of similar high quality videos.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Indy 500 is my favorite race of all. Rooting for Marco, naturally, but I have a few others I am hoping for. Sad Alonso didn’t make it in. Hopefully he can get a better car for next year

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
On an off-topic but related note, is anyone interested in slot cars? I was really into my HO scale cars when I was a kid and recently was possessed by an irresistible impulse to revisit my childhood. So I bought a 1:32 scale set, started expanding it, and I have to say it is very cool. For one thing, it’s digital- the cars and track have chips in them. I have an app for my iPad that connects to the track and gives me lap times and can set up races. The detail of the cars is amazing. Definitely a fun way to kill lots of time (and $$$).

Reactions: Ruck Over

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Exciting finish to the 500.

Great racing by Pagenaud and Rossi.
Really fantastic finish. Sato in third had me excited too cause you know that guy is crazy and will do whatever to win. Ultimately ran out of car. Penske Chevy turned it up and no one could match it.

Reactions: Foggy14

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
On an off-topic but related note, is anyone interested in slot cars? I was really into my HO scale cars when I was a kid and recently was possessed by an irresistible impulse to revisit my childhood. So I bought a 1:32 scale set, started expanding it, and I have to say it is very cool. For one thing, it’s digital- the cars and track have chips in them. I have an app for my iPad that connects to the track and gives me lap times and can set up races. The detail of the cars is amazing. Definitely a fun way to kill lots of time (and $$$).
Had some as a kid, my father may still have them in a box somewhere. Lots of fun. Never got super crazy with the track expansion, but would change the config ever so often.

That would need to be a hobby I got into because kids wanted to do it, couldn't justify adding it to my own plate.

Slot cars, or enrichment programs? Trick conundrum, slot cars are enriching... Yeah, that oughta work...

Reactions: Jack Straw

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Best race of the season.
I started watching right when LeClerc hit the wall. Gotta say, with the poor performance by Hamilton, Vettel starting so far back in the field, and the non-stop crashes forcing the field to compact with the safety car, it was a much higher drama filled race than expected. Maybe F1 should only race on a damp track. I was rooting hard for Lance Stroll to make the podium. It seemed feasible at 10 laps to go, but that was a pipe dream actualized faulty with about 7(?) left.

I like Haas in theory, but they need better cars and better drivers. The two almost took each other out in a pass situation toward the end of the race. It would've been high drama, and it was totally unnecessary.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I started watching right when LeClerc hit the wall. Gotta say, with the poor performance by Hamilton, Vettel starting so far back in the field, and the non-stop crashes forcing the field to compact with the safety car, it was a much higher drama filled race than expected. Maybe F1 should only race on a damp track. I was rooting hard for Lance Stroll to make the podium. It seemed feasible at 10 laps to go, but that was a pipe dream actualized faulty with about 7(?) left.

I like Haas in theory, but they need better cars and better drivers. The two almost took each other out in a pass situation toward the end of the race. It would've been high drama, and it was totally unnecessary.
Yea after that pit I wanted Stroll to make the podium too. I used root for Verstappen and Ferrari, but at this point I just root for a good race. They’ve been so bad lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad