OT: The driving/racing/karting/meLVin on ATV/motorsports enthusiast thread

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I think people would get hurt on the trails with this badass Thing. Too much speed
A buddy of mine has a can am side by side that we did some trail riding on. So much fun. It feels like you are in a rally car without the crazy speed those things carry. Quite a workout with how often you lose traction or the wheel gets turned by rocks. Truly awesome feeling.

Reactions: Hextallent63

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Hell yeah! Australian Grand Prix weekend starts one week from today!!!

A couple pics from the German Grand Prix last year:

View attachment 196337
View attachment 196339
View attachment 196341

Coolest thing about the event I thought was how relaxed security was. You could just bring in all the food and beers and champagne and people were just ripping cigs and joints right in the stands. It was awesome. And no one fought or threw up or acted a fool.
Who do you root for?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Who do you root for?
Max Verstappen and RBR. Still love Vettel from his RBR days so when it is a two-horse race between Ferrari and Mercedes I pull for him but I stuck with RBR after he left and have no plans to leave!

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Max Verstappen and RBR. Still love Vettel from his RBR days so when it is a two-horse race between Ferrari and Mercedes I pull for him but I stuck with RBR after he left and have no plans to leave!
Haha I’m almost the same. I root for Verstappen and Ferrari. Really wanted him to move to Ferrari but Leclerc seems like a good choice too.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Back in the ‘70s I used to go up to Watkins Glen to see the 6 hour endurance races. Saw Mario Andretti drive a 12 cylinder Alfa there one year (car broke down so he didn’t finish). I still follow F1 but not as closely as I used to. Basically root for anyone but Mercedes.

Reactions: Ruck Over

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
For watching motorsports I've always liked WRC the most, at least until recently. Rally racing takes balls of brass like no other imo. We get SCCA Pro-rally events in the forests west of Portland OR and I've been to a bunch.
Was there the day a famous Brit named Mark Lovell hit the trees at 100+ mph and died along with his co-driver.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I hate Mercedes...would've liked a better showing from Haas too

anyone watch 12 hrs of Sebring?
There were a few other tv distractions, primarily the 76ers. But I caught a bit of it, reading how the race finished. Adulting and errands, plus a wife whom is not impressed, and a toddler who likes race cars, but can't be bothered to sit still and actually watch them.

Cadillac swept the podium, it was a good day for racing.

What were you looking for/most impressed with from Sebring?

As far as F1, I have a disdain for e$p!n, so don't watch. Haas is the team I most root for, but that's so uphill. I like Hamilton, but could do without Mercedes. He has no reason to switch teams, but I wish he would, because reasons.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
There were a few other tv distractions, primarily the 76ers. But I caught a bit of it, reading how the race finished. Adulting and errands, plus a wife whom is not impressed, and a toddler who likes race cars, but can't be bothered to sit still and actually watch them.

Cadillac swept the podium, it was a good day for racing.

What were you looking for/most impressed with from Sebring?

As far as F1, I have a disdain for e$p!n, so don't watch. Haas is the team I most root for, but that's so uphill. I like Hamilton, but could do without Mercedes. He has no reason to switch teams, but I wish he would, because reasons.
I thought the NBC coverage of Sebring was pretty awful. I just like checking in on it. Watching certain drivers. Wanted BMW to win, but they did alright

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't disagree, but ... this is the first time NBC is covering the race(s). Coverage was better on SpeedTV, but that's in their wheelhouse, pun intended. Fortunately/unfortunately, NBC is trying to replace the F1 circuit, which I thought they covered extremely well, with a completely different race format, to which there are obvious growing pains. That it was on tv at all, and a major broadcaster at that is a boon.

Nascar is a lowest common denominator, currently split between Fox and NBC. That coverage is fine for what it is. IndyCar and F1 are far closer to Nascar, than IMSA is to either. So NBC took a circle peg, and tried to jam it through their square hole. Growing pains.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
@Ruck Over - fair enough. A 12 hour race with multiple classes featuring drivers most people don’t know is a tough task. It’ll be interesting to see if they find their groove as the season goes on.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
@Ruck Over - fair enough. A 12 hour race with multiple classes featuring drivers most people don’t know is a tough task. It’ll be interesting to see if they find their groove as the season goes on.
Yeah I just felt they didn't let the cars speak for themselves enough. Not much in car footage.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah I just felt they didn't let the cars speak for themselves enough. Not much in car footage.

Yeah, that was my complaint too. They focused on the drivers, most of whom I'd never heard of and meanwhile I'm trying to figure out which car is which. Especially when it got dark.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
gonna take a guess, and predict, he won't be with the same team next year.
That would be huge. Who replaces him? Verstappen at Red Bull is probably the next best driver, but I don't see Red Bull losing consecutive best drivers to Ferrari. And even more juicy, which driver gets displaced to make room for Vettel on a new team? He's still too good and too young to switch circuits. (Although I'd love if he lost his chair and came to NASCAR for a season, like real life Talladega Nights.)

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Can’t believe Vettel lost it there.
At first I thought it sounded like he lifted, but I think the weight just came off the back tires and they spun. Agreed it was surprising and certainly seemed like his mistake. Front wing looked awesome when it time bombed though.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Yea at lease he got help from the safety car. The Renault’s going out at almost the same time was crazy too.
Yeah that was wild....based on their battle earlier in the race I thought they took each other out but just seemed like terrible luck

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Really thinking about getting into F1. Huge NASCAR fan but the product is just terrible.
The one critique of F1 is the lack of passing, the straight dominance of just a few teams. Not that any driver can win a NASCAR race, but only very few have a realistic chance of winning an F1 race. Most drivers are in serious competition for places 5-10, than they are 1 through 3.

But as far as driving goes, and the technical mastery, F1 is a much better product than NASCAR. The races are shorter as well, which is a perk as it frees up more of the day. NASCAR will always have the wow, OMG IS HE STILL ALIVE! factor though, just due to the cramped racing conditions and forced parity between the cars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad