OT: The driving/racing/karting/meLVin on ATV/motorsports enthusiast thread

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I am a huge fan of the above, and cars/racing are a close second to my interest in the Flyers. Driving is one of my favorite activities and I enjoy discussing things related to cars. I enjoy frequenting the food thread and was hoping there would be a need for one like this. Ignoring the obvious signs as to why there probably isn't one already, here I am putting myself out there.

Might delete later.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
"I want to go fast." - Ricky Bobby

I've only ever gotten one speeding ticket (and one warning to drive faster) in my life. But the need for speed is there, as much as a base 2012 ford focus can muster.

Nascar, F1, IMSA, Formula E these are all great circuits. Fords and if available, Cadillacs, are my jam teams. In F1, I like Hamilton, but hate the manufacture he drives for. In that sport, I root for upsets, so any good showing from a non-Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull team.

Recently, a husband of my wife's co-worker told me about One Lap of America It has become a bucket list desire to compete in this. Other road related wants, drive the entirety of US Route 1, and US Route 30, likely in the retirement years, in an RV, trailing a smaller go-about vehicle, like a Jeep.

The smell of an auto shop is euphoric, the scrapped knuckles of a wrench slip stingily therapeutic.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know absolutely nothing about professional racing, but given that my dad is a massive car/motorcycle guy, I've had no choice but to learn to work on them. Biggest job I've ever helped him do was an engine replacement on a 1965 Corvette.

Not that I move my car much anymore, but hell yes fast cars are fun.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
For me racing and cars are my life and hockey has become a hobby. I grew up playing hockey, played a little jr and still play a couple times a week in beer league and pickup. Automotive is my career though. I started into cars and racing in high school doing autocross and club racing, and made a living as a mechanic on GT cars in IMSA for my 20's and 30's. I got tired of traveling and opened my own auto shop 5 years ago doing German car repair and performance tuning, as well as running a BMW M3 club racer. I follow pro racing a little now, F1 and IMSA, WEC, Touring car stuff etc, but really I focus on having fun with club stuff.

Attachments

• 47322253_1187904171362248_7535708871759757312_o.jpg
    47322253_1187904171362248_7535708871759757312_o.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 9

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
"I want to go fast." - Ricky Bobby

I've only ever gotten one speeding ticket (and one warning to drive faster) in my life. But the need for speed is there, as much as a base 2012 ford focus can muster.

Nascar, F1, IMSA, Formula E these are all great circuits. Fords and if available, Cadillacs, are my jam teams. In F1, I like Hamilton, but hate the manufacture he drives for. In that sport, I root for upsets, so any good showing from a non-Mercedes, Ferrari, Red Bull team.

Recently, a husband of my wife's co-worker told me about One Lap of America It has become a bucket list desire to compete in this. Other road related wants, drive the entirety of US Route 1, and US Route 30, likely in the retirement years, in an RV, trailing a smaller go-about vehicle, like a Jeep.

The smell of an auto shop is euphoric, the scrapped knuckles of a wrench slip stingily therapeutic.

Ford/Cadillac is an interesting combo. I am a BMW fan, but Ford is my favorite american make. I was a Nico Rosberg fan actually (and always a Kimi fan). F1 just bugs me how certain teams can be so much faster than the others. He is an amazing driver, but that isn't the only reason he is so dominant.

One Lap actually came through PittRace when I lived out there and I knew one of the guys competing. My road related wants would be any track time in an open wheel race car, part of a ChumpCar/LeMons team, and competing in the LVGP 500 series they have here. Hopefully one/both of my kids get into karting.

Bucket list items would be driving some classic race cars or some of my favorite dream cars and I have plans to build a rear mid engined car using a motorcycle engine to emulate the high revving V8/V10 era of F1

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
If you are using an ATV or dirtbike on a street in Philly, I hope you crash and injure ONLY yourself, damage ONLY your vehicle and preferably if male slide balls first into a pole and are rendered sterile.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If you are using an ATV or dirtbike on a street in Philly, I hope you crash and injure ONLY yourself, damage ONLY your vehicle and preferably if male slide balls first into a pole and are rendered sterile.

Into bikes more than cars.

Had a CBR 600 for a couple years
Honda 500 Rebel ‘17 for an in town bobber

G’luck with the thread.

Reactions: BigToe

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
For me racing and cars are my life and hockey has become a hobby. I grew up playing hockey, played a little jr and still play a couple times a week in beer league and pickup. Automotive is my career though. I started into cars and racing in high school doing autocross and club racing, and made a living as a mechanic on GT cars in IMSA for my 20's and 30's. I got tired of traveling and opened my own auto shop 5 years ago doing German car repair and performance tuning, as well as running a BMW M3 club racer. I follow pro racing a little now, F1 and IMSA, WEC, Touring car stuff etc, but really I focus on having fun with club stuff.
Awesome...this is the stuff I was hoping for. I would need a business to warrant running a club racer as you've done, but it has been a thought. Hopefully will find a parter in the endeavor eventually. My cousin and I talk about it but as of now have no plans to live in the same area to make it work. He runs an S2000

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

The electric car era is one of the best/worst things to ever happen.

I am personally more into the way a car makes you feel compared to how fast it can hit 60, and sound is a huge part of that. Looks like they are here to stay though so we will see.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Into bikes more than cars.

Had a CBR 600 for a couple years
Honda 500 Rebel ‘17 for an in town bobber

G’luck with the thread.
I like bikes, but have reasons for staying off of them. Jealous of the thrill I know I am not getting, but have no plans on trying them out.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
lots of racing history, in the area of eastern pa. grumpy jenkins frazier/malvern,jungle jim west chester area, penski reading area, mike dunn mount joy, andretti and joe amatto in the lhv area. to name the ones off the top of my head.

RonHextall27

Mar 12, 2008
Halifax, NS
Awesome...this is the stuff I was hoping for. I would need a business to warrant running a club racer as you've done, but it has been a thought. Hopefully will find a parter in the endeavor eventually. My cousin and I talk about it but as of now have no plans to live in the same area to make it work. He runs an S2000
We have one track in our region and run 5 race weekends. We took a couple trailers up to Mont Tremblant a couple years ago, and hopefully will make it back there this summer. It's a world class circuit.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Ford/Cadillac is an interesting combo. I am a BMW fan, but Ford is my favorite american make. I was a Nico Rosberg fan actually (and always a Kimi fan). F1 just bugs me how certain teams can be so much faster than the others. He is an amazing driver, but that isn't the only reason he is so dominant.

One Lap actually came through PittRace when I lived out there and I knew one of the guys competing. My road related wants would be any track time in an open wheel race car, part of a ChumpCar/LeMons team, and competing in the LVGP 500 series they have here. Hopefully one/both of my kids get into karting.

Bucket list items would be driving some classic race cars or some of my favorite dream cars and I have plans to build a rear mid engined car using a motorcycle engine to emulate the high revving V8/V10 era of F1
First car was a hand-me down Caddy from my deceased grand father. Brand loyalty. They started their prototype racing team my junior/senior year in highschool and was my introduction to becoming a racing fan. Ford is more of a Nascar thing, and that has more to do with driver loyalty than brand. I followed Tony Stewart from Chevy (he was disowned for the year he was with Gibbs and Toyota) to Ford. I drive a Ford because I have a ridiculous jingoist attitude toward cars, and at the time, Ford was the most healthy company of the Big 3, not having taken the bail-out.

My dreams of actually racing are only stunted by the absolute money sink the practice is. I have a 2 year old, and another on the way. I'd love for them to get into karting, that would be a justified reason to splurge. We took a family vacation to Orlando last year, 2 years ago??? Took a road trip to Daytona, took a tour of the track & museum, got pics of me and the little guy, probably the highlight of the trip for me aside from seeing family. Otherwise it was too hot, and not enough drinking alcohol.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Jealous of Mont Tremblant. I will be at Pocono a few times and hope to make it to either the Glen or NJMP at some point this season

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
lots of racing history, in the area of eastern pa. grumpy jenkins frazier/malvern,jungle jim west chester area, penski reading area, mike dunn mount joy, andretti and joe amatto in the lhv area. to name the ones off the top of my head.
Yep, I grew up going to Nazareth speedway with my grandparents and there is a greater than 0 percent chance I am eskimo brothers with Marco Andretti

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
First car was a hand-me down Caddy from my deceased grand father. Brand loyalty. They started their prototype racing team my junior/senior year in highschool and was my introduction to becoming a racing fan. Ford is more of a Nascar thing, and that has more to do with driver loyalty than brand. I followed Tony Stewart from Chevy (he was disowned for the year he was with Gibbs and Toyota) to Ford. I drive a Ford because I have a ridiculous jingoist attitude toward cars, and at the time, Ford was the most healthy company of the Big 3, not having taken the bail-out.

My dreams of actually racing are only stunted by the absolute money sink the practice is. I have a 2 year old, and another on the way. I'd love for them to get into karting, that would be a justified reason to splurge. We took a family vacation to Orlando last year, 2 years ago??? Took a road trip to Daytona, took a tour of the track & museum, got pics of me and the little guy, probably the highlight of the trip for me aside from seeing family. Otherwise it was too hot, and not enough drinking alcohol.
the museum at taladega was pretty good. if you're ever there it's worth a look.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I grew up on my friend's and cousins quads and dirtbikes, but that's about it. I can change my oil and breaks, and fix other minor mechanical issues on my car.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad