The Dream's Top 30 2011

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Once again it is time for my yearly top 30 list, which is always 100% correct and accurate!!!

I do get to see many many players, and most if not all on this list, but it is still all in fun, so keep the flamming to a Trevor Gillies goon level minimum, cool??

2011 Top 30

#1. Sean Couturier - Still the best offensive player in this draft. Combine that with his size and strength, and he should be a pro next year. Has dropped on some lists, but this kid has all the tools to be a very solid NHLer.

#2. Adam Larsson - The best dman available for the draft. The kid has stood tall for the past 2 years of hyped city, and has come out on top in my mind. I once questioned his overall game, I really cant any longer.

#3. Gabriel Landeskog - No player has risen faster or higher then him. Has all the tools to be an immediate impact at the NHL level. Love the way he plays and competes, and absolutely love his grasp of the English language!

#4. Jonathan Huberdeau - Some say he is better then Couturier, though he may one day become that, I still think he is a notch below Couturier. Another solid sized skilled forward that is going to go high in June. Bout damn time the Q produced some players!

#5. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Way too many people have this kid at #1, simply cant see it. His size is a slight concern as he looks like a young Kyle Turris out there. He simply needs to score more goals to get drafted higher then this. He is an all world talent and playmaker, but there are better all around options then him right now.

#6. Dougie Hamilton - Kid has size and skill that will make him a very high pick in June. I love his compete level and physicality as well. No slouch on his feet with skating and first step, kid has risen very fast in a short time.

#7. Ryan Strome - Strome seems to be continually underrated on these boards. Kid is an offensive wizz, that has just continued to put up massive numbers all year long. Pure sniper here, could be this years Jeff Skinner as sniper that makes the jump to the NHL next year.

#8. Duncan Siemens- Another big strong kid that I had a tough time putting behind Hamilton at this point. Kid can play both sides of the puck, and is one of the younger players in this first round. I wouldnt be shocked if he does get picked ahead of Hamilton, as he reminds me of another Brent Seabrook.

#9. Brandon Saad - Much more was expected from Saad this year, hence the drop from the top 5. We know this kid has offensive skills and size that should put him in the top 5, but his compete level, consistency, and lack of physical effort is what drops him a bit. Need to see that fire from Saad that many of us expected this year.

#10. Ryan Murphy - Most skilled dman in this years draft. If he was a bit bigger he would be a top 5 lock, but teams may still pass on him like they did with Fowler and Gormley last year. Whoever lands this kid will get the next great puckmoving power play qb.

#11. Ty Rattie - I just love this kids game, and have loved it for some time. Gives a solid effort each and every shift, but still gets put down on peoples list because of the depth he plays with in Portland. Kid is a legit talent that is a top 15 pick. He may never be top end offensive talent, but his work ethic and skill set will lead him to the NHL.

#12. Tyler Biggs - One of my favorite players in this draft. Biggs plays the game BIG. He is a nasty power forward that has soft hands and goal scoring ability. He might go higher then this in June because of his physical maturity and the way he can skate and play for such a big power forward.

#13. Matt Puempel - Matt has dropped on some lists, but the kid is a sniper that will be a top 15 pick as well. He really got hyped up last year, and has come down some, but the talent and skill are clearly there. He has future NHL sniper written all over him, but does need to get a bit quicker and stronger on the puck.

#14. Scott Mayfield- Many who dont follow the USHL wonder how this kid is rated so high. But trust me when I say he is the best dman to come out of the USHL since John Carlson. He has size, skill, and leadership skills well above his years. Needs to bulk up a lot, and college will do that, but whoever lands this kid will unearth a real gem.

#15. Sven Bartschi - Sven was someone that I never really thought would get ranked this high. Like Rattie, plays on a stacked Portland team, but after watching him at the WJC and playing with less talent, this kid is legit. He has high end offensive skills and a physical side that I love as well. Simply not afraid to get dirty.

#16. Jamie Oleksiak - The 6'7 man child is the most intriguing player in this draft. He can honestly go top 10 or 30th depending on how a team views him. He has improved so much since his Chicago Steel days in the USHL, Players of this size and ability do not come around that often, dont be shocked if he gets drafted right around where McIlrath did last year.

#17. Joel Armia - This skilled two way forward is up and down on a lot of peoples lists. From what I have seen, it is tough to get a read on him as he has really good stretches and then some bad ones as well. Played very well at the WJC and could be a riser no doubt with his solid size and skillset.

#18. David Musil - Another player that was hyped early on but has fallen some, Musil is a solid all around dman, that will likely make it as a pure defensive minded dman in the NHL. Solid blood lines and size will make this kid an interesting selection in June, but he has the ability to be a high end player no doubt.

#19. Victor Rask - I will admit I didnt buy the hype with this kid last year, and though I do have him at #19, I am not sure he goes first round at all to be honest. He has been very inconsistent as well, and though he has solid size I just dont see him as being anything really high end. But when he is on, he is something special to watch which is why I have him at 19 because he may find that more often in the future.

#20. Vlad Namestnikov - The first Russian in my top 30, Vlad is a typical highly skilled offensive player that has many flaws as well. Plays like a floater a lot of nights, his compete level isnt where it needs to be, and when you arent as high end as some previous Russians who dropped a bit in the draft, going at #20 is something to be happy with imo.

#21. Mark McNiel - Mark is a solid two way forward that I have been noticing more of late. He isnt going to be anything elite offensively, but he will give you a solid two way game and effort every night. Stands out most nights, Mark is a player that has risen bigtime the past 3 months.

#22. Matt Nieto - Playing as a true freshman on a powerhouse program will not help draft rankings as the ice time he gets is limited. But Nieto has the skill and talent to be a real talented player one day. Very crafty and solid at both ends, Nieto has solid two way player written all over him, Jason Zucker mold.

#23. Zack Phillips - highly skilled offensive dynamo that has solid enough size to be a force one day. Phillips is a player that can go higher due to his offensive ability, but the Q hasnt produced this many first round players in a while, so believe it when you see it I guess.

#24. Rocco Grimaldi - One of the most skilled players in this draft. We all know his size issues, but if there is ever a player to overcome that, this is it. I still believe he goes even higher then this, but those that have never seen him play that focus only on his size will be eating non stop crow in three years as this kid will be an NHLer.

#25. Mark Scheifele - Another late riser, Mark has the build to be a pretty solid NHLer, though needs to bulk up a lot. He has solid playmaking ability and that will be his bread and butter imo. Has a solid shot, but his passing and vision are more defined at this stage. Should be a late first round pick.

#26. Daniel Catenaccia - Super skilled offensive force that seems to fly under the radar on many lists. If he played with more talent this kid would be much higher on this lists. He just has the all around ability to be a solid player, is a wonderful playmaker and shooter, and has excellent backchecking and tenacious play. His size holds him back as well, but should be a first rounder in June.

#27. Shane Prince - Like Catenaccia, I for the life of me cant understand why he isnt ranked higher. Has all around skills well above most on these lists, but takes a hit for his size and because he plays with very good linemates. Prince is a two way force that goes in the dirty areas and usually comes out with the puck. Is a solid sniper and playmaker as well, some team (SHARKS) will take this kid very high.

#28. Michael St Croix - Another highly touted player who dropped some, St Croix still has the ability to be a very solid player. Needs to get stronger, more mature, and more consistent, but the talent and skill is there. He no longer looks like an elite offensive player, but if he progresses over the next two years, he should make a team very happy with his offensive abilities.

#29. Mario Lucia - The top US highschooler for this draft, Mario is the son on Don Lucia coach of Minnesota, but thats not why he is ranked here. He has solid size, skills, and physical play that makes him a very tempting kid to pick. Like a Kevin Hayes, you just feel Lucia will get even bigger and stronger in a year or two, and with his offensive skills, this is a package to keep an eye on.

#30. Nicklas Jensen - Jensen is another up and downer on lots of lists. I just dont see the consistency to see him go any higher then this. He has solid size and skill, but doesnt really stand out in any one area. He has come on of late which will help him on draft day, but I have seen too much inconsistency to really put him any higher.

The next 15

#31. Stefan Noesen
#32. Colin Jacobs
#33. Tomas Jurco
#34. J.T Miller
#35. Myles Bell
#36. Rickard Rackell
#37. Luca Lessio
#38. Jonas Brodin
#39. Adam Clendening
#40. Vincent Trocheck
#41. Nathan Beaulieu
#42. Shane McColgan
#43. Seth Ambroz
#44. Joe Morrow
#45. Alexander Khokhlachev/ Boone Jenner

Lots of names can be placed between 25-45 here, solid depth, should be a very nice draft

Last edited:

vad87

Feb 15, 2008
Quebec
Good job. But what about Zibanejad? Just forgotten him or you don't see him in your top 45? I'm pretty sure that the guy's going to be picked between 15th and 20th. Other than that, Mayfield maybe too high and Jensen too low. RNH's size worry me and like you said, he could be this year Kyle Turris. I just hope that the team who'll pick him won't rush him like the Yotes did with Turris because the guy's a real talent.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Why do you think RNH's size will be a concern? He is plenty tall enough, and will be able to add weight and muscle mass for the next year and a half before he is expected to play in the Chel. Don't see how that is a concern.

Also, I think RNH has done a great job elimintating the doubters in regards to his finishing ability. I guess there are a few out there (such as yourself).

I'm curious how many times you have seen him play, and have you seen him play live at all?

Also, I highly doubt St. Croix goes that high.

Besides that, pretty good list.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why do you think RNH's size will be a concern? He is plenty tall enough, and will be able to add weight and muscle mass for the next year and a half before he is expected to play in the Chel. Don't see how that is a concern.

That's what we've all been saying about Turris for the last four years. It's not always easy to just pack on forty pounds of muscle.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That's what we've all been saying about Turris for the last four years. It's not always easy to just pack on forty pounds of muscle.

Where did anyone say fourty?

Last stats have him at 170. A comfortable playing weight for him is likely going to end up between 185-190 at 6'0 or 6'1.

That's 15 pounds. He could probably add 10 this summer alone.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

Also, I think RNH has done a great job elimintating the doubters in regards to his finishing ability. I guess there are a few out there (such as yourself).

I'm curious how many times you have seen him play, and have you seen him play live at all?

Also, I highly doubt St. Croix goes that high.

Besides that, pretty good list.

Are you saying RNH doesnt have size issues?

My main problem with RNH has been and still is his lack of scoring. He is not a high end goal scorer to be taken that high. Couple that with his size issues, and yes I dont think he goes as high as some on here think he will.

I do a WHL trip every year, saw him twice in person the past two seasons, plus countless games on the internet. I dont need to see 100 games to see the kid is skinny and doesnt shoot or score enough.

That is my opinion of him. He is a hell of a playmaker and offensive creator, but he needs to bulk up a lot and start scoring some goals before I change my tune of him.

As for him eliminating his doubters, how has he done that? He still has the lowest goals total in the top 30, and is one of the lowest in the top 60....must have missed something.

St Croix is another gifted kid that I enjoyed watching. He has sick skills, plays with little help, but has issues as well. Hence the late first round where lots of home run swings try to get made.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Well thought out list but like anyone I have some minor tweaks.
My most notable tweak would be flip-flopping Alexander Khokhlachev and Vlad Namestnikov (but that's just me).
Two players that I've seen quite a bit and would have higher would be Ryan Murphy and Stefan Noesen.
If the draft was for 19 year olds and up I suspect Noesen would be 12 to 18 ranking.
He's a late bloomer and even though he's having a really fine season, next year could be his true break-out season.

edited to add.....I would also pick Strome of RNH, His playmaking is almost as good and he's a goalscorer also.

Considering all the NHL scouts would have a different order you did an admirable job.:handclap:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I'd bet good money Grimaldi goes no earlier than the 2nd round..

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

And if Oleksiak has improved from his time spent in Bensonville, Illinois he's still not going to go that high.

Then again the Chicago Steel absolutely BLOW.

Pretty much if you play for Chicago Young Americans, Chicago Mission, Team Illinois, or are any good on a Varsity team here you could be quite competitive in tryouts for that team.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Are you saying RNH doesnt have size issues?

No, but what I am saying is that he should be given plenty of time to add that size. It's not like the kid is short. He's above average height. Weight and muscle mass is something that can be added with hard work, something he is no stranger to according to many many many reports.

As for him eliminating his doubters, how has he done that?

Doubters in regards to his goal scoring totals. Which have drastically increased over the last 2 months-ish. That includes a hattrick game last week.

The kid has 19 goals, and will likely finish north of 25. Is that an "elite" number? No it isn't. But I will take 25 goals from a kid who has the best vision in the CHL.

That's fine if you think that he won't go in the top 4. You are allowed to have an opinion. I am just pointing out why some of your logic behind it is flawed, in my opinion.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Worst analysis i have read about Armia...

and that's something.

Instead of replying like an ass, why don't you say why you think the analysis is wrong and give your opinion of Armia.

This is a great read, AD, and of course I agree and disagree with something, just like everybody else. Three guys that are really becoming favorites of mine are, in no particular order, McNeill, Biggs and Mayfield. Guys I usually don't like in any drafts are guys that are ranked highly before the season starts and drop during their draft year (i.e. Ambroz, Rask, Saad).

Hybbe

Oct 6, 2009
Mika Zibanejad's missing. He's a better prospect than Rask for sure.

Latex*

Instead of replying like an ass, why don't you say why you think the analysis is wrong and give your opinion of Armia.

This is a great read, AD, and of course I agree and disagree with something, just like everybody else. Three guys that are really becoming favorites of mine are, in no particular order, McNeill, Biggs and Mayfield. Guys I usually don't like in any drafts are guys that are ranked highly before the season starts and drop during their draft year (i.e. Ambroz, Rask, Saad).

Well here you go then:

I could never see Armia as a two way forward, as defensive/physical play is one one of his major weaknesses alongside with skating. He's alot more like a sniper.

He was pretty bad in the WJC and could be seen as a "dropper" than riser.

But i really expected nothing from the American Dream, i recall him betting that Granlund would drop atleast to the second round if not more last year.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the list, I appreciate the work. I disagree with quite a few guys, but everyone has their own opinion. Guys I would have higher are: RNH, Beaulieu, Miller, Khokhlachev...guys I would have lower are: Huberdeau, Grimaldi, St. Croix, Namestnikov, and Puempel.

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
I don't understand why people get upset when their favorites are not the favorites of others. The whole point of these lists is for scouting discussions (for fun!). Anyway.

First, I'm glad someone has Nieto back in the 1st round. He has been a little inconsistent for sure, which I suspect has lead to some seeing him go outside of the 1st round. I don't think Biggs, Miller, or Grimaldi are better prospects than either Saad or Nieto. I love Grimaldi's game too, but it will be tough to translate to NHL success. Back to Nieto, I'd love to see the Red Wings get him late in the 1st round. He has Red Wings-type written all over him. He reminds me a lot of Zetterberg, actually.

Second, I agree on McColgan and Ambroz dropping. I would take almost all of the listed Americans over Ambroz. But I bet he'll get some love at the draft simply because of team's wishes to have the next potential Guerin/Tkachuk.

Third, I don't see Cat going that high. (No, I haven't seen him a lot - just about 3-4 games.) I really don't see the hockey mind. I see elite skating and a very nice 4th line player, aka Helm. I guess that may be good enough for a 1st round selection though.

Fourth, RNH reminds me a little of Daigle (oh no, they flak I'm going to get for that). Of course, Daigle's problem was his head and not his talent. RNH may have his head on straight... I hope so.

Last, I really like Joe Morrow. I haven't seen him much, but I don't see enough love for the guy on HF. I see lots of potential there.

PS. Can't see SC going 1st. And I love Murphy. I think Boston takes him whereever they land (2-6).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well here you go then:

I could never see Armia as a two way forward, as defensive/physical play is one one of his major weaknesses alongside with skating. He's alot more like a sniper.

He was pretty bad in the WJC and could be seen as a "dropper" than riser.

But i really expected nothing from the American Dream, i recall him betting that Granlund would drop atleast to the second round if not more last year.

notice how it is based off of from what I have seen. I cant help it that he looks more like a two way forward then a sniper from what I saw. He isnt going to make it as a sniper because he just doesnt have the sniper tools. He has size and played very solid from what I saw of him this season, including the WJC. He is a very inconsistent player, that you cant get an accurate read on.

As for Granlund, still dont think the kid is going to be that great. Dont recall saying he would drop to the second round, but he has more concerns now then he did back then.

You guys from Finland get too worked up in where players from your country get ranked. I have Armia pretty high, dont know if he gets taken that high because he simply isnt dominating in any one area.

I know each year you have less and less players to have hope for, but dont even bother posting because your nationalistic pride is butt hurt over my rankings or analysis. I do this for fun and love doing it to have intelligent debate over where we all see players at differently.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Armia doesn't play for a very good team and is chock-full of talent.

The entire Suomi squad SUCKED at the u20's and all the notable stars didn't play very well.

Yes we get excited about our kin being good hockey players.

But if there's one thing my dad had always said about our "Kokkonen Blood" (not my last name FYI) is that...

we are stubborn
bull headed
arrogant
prideful
driven
and fiery

Don't blame us... Blame genetics :sarcasm:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
And if Oleksiak has improved from his time spent in Bensonville, Illinois he's still not going to go that high.

Then again the Chicago Steel absolutely BLOW.

Pretty much if you play for Chicago Young Americans, Chicago Mission, Team Illinois, or are any good on a Varsity team here you could be quite competitive in tryouts for that team.

why do you make comments like this? I usually like what you say, but with stuff like this, you come off kind of childish.

I was one of Oleksiak's biggest non supporters 1-2 years back, but who cares how he looked back then, they dont draft on that, and bringing that up looks silly.

Oleksiak is one of the most dominating college freshmen around, and I guarantee you he gets picked first round, and thats not even for debate at this point. The Chicago Steel have been bad and good over the past few years, but again, that has nothing to do with how Oleksiak improved this season, and how he looks playing NCAA hockey at Northeastern.

He is a wildcard, and guys like this go very high in the right situation. I dont care how he looked 2 years back, I care how he looks now.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
As for him eliminating his doubters, how has he done that? He still has the lowest goals total in the top 30, and is one of the lowest in the top 60....must have missed something.

yep, you missed the goal he scored to defeat USA at the Ivan Hlinka tourney in the summer ;) That's where he scored 5 goals in 5 games to Huberdeau's goose egg.

C'mon Dream, just teasing ! :laugh: Enjoyed your list, thanks for posting !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->