GDT: The Draft Lottery, Tuesday, April 9th

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
After getting Dahlin last year getting 7th this year is no big deal. Would it be any different if we had 5th instead of 7th? I do worry that we are awful at developing our prospects and mismanage them like the Oilers seem to do.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I was just shocked, for a guy, whose focus is drafting and development, and wanted to push back the timeline a bit, and for punting these past two seasons, I was thinking that we might have a lot more in our draft pick collection. For what we had to endure, for the players we traded away, I hoped we would have more opportunities to hit on picks/prospects. Now if Skinner doesn't re-sign here, that's really going to leave a black eye on his asset management ability for me.
Don't forget to factor in that one of those 1sts was used to get Montour, which I think most would consider a good move. If we had that 1st back, your list of draft picks would look a lot stronger, but we'd be without that top-4 D-man.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Don't forget to factor in that one of those 1sts was used to get Montour, which I think most would consider a good move. If we had that 1st back, your list of draft picks would look a lot stronger, but we'd be without that top-4 D-man.

Oh, I'm aware. Still stand by my point about the state of the organization and where we should be asset wise.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
This pick should be whatever center falls.

The Blackhawks and Kings strike me as orgs that'll have no problem taking Podkolzin. Colorado or DET will take Byram for sure.

NJD Hughes
NYR Kakko
CHI Turcotte
COL Byram
LAK Podkolzin
DET Cozens/Dach/Krebs

US: Whatever of Cozens/Dach/Krebs is left. Not bad.
I think Dach is gonna be the next Schiefele, If we get Dach I see us set at center.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
One of them being a pending UFA (who we all wanted gone) who we essentially turned into Montour . I'd take that swap any day.
Ok, we traded a top 15 center in the NHL, and if San Jose makes a run, and either St. Louis also makes it to conference finals, or, none of Vegas, Colorado, Columbus, or Dallas makes a run to the conference finals, we'll end up with a first round pick that is 10 slots higher than our 2nd would have been.
If Skinner doesn't resign, that is an astounding waste of assets
Out
RoR
2nd round pick
bunch of nothing
In
late 1st round pick
1 year of Jeff Skinner
bunch of nothing

How do you not see how terrible that is?

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Ok, we traded a top 15 center in the NHL, and if San Jose makes a run, and either St. Louis also makes it to conference finals, or, none of Vegas, Colorado, Columbus, or Dallas makes a run to the conference finals, we'll end up with a first round pick that is 10 slots higher than our 2nd would have been.
If Skinner doesn't resign, that is an astounding waste of assets
Out
RoR
2nd round pick
bunch of nothing
In
late 1st round pick
1 year of Jeff Skinner
bunch of nothing

How do you not see how terrible that is?
I was commenting specifically on the Kane trade. I don't disagree about any of the rest of it, though you have couched it in a bunch of hypotheticals to make it sound more dire...

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I was just shocked, for a guy, whose focus is drafting and development, and wanted to push back the timeline a bit, and for punting these past two seasons, I was thinking that we might have a lot more in our draft pick collection. For what we had to endure, for the players we traded away, I hoped we would have more opportunities to hit on picks/prospects. Now if Skinner doesn't re-sign here, that's really going to leave a black eye on his asset management ability for me.
For me too if Skinner walks..he missed to trade him for assets at the TDL plus early 2nd pick gone...

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
For me too if Skinner walks..he missed to trade him for assets at the TDL plus early 2nd pick gone...
And we have already been down this road and suffered from it recently. How can buffalo gms just not trade talent and let it walk for nothing.
Yea i know skinner had a nmc. Yes i know botts didnt even ask him if he wanted a shot for a playoff team this year and thought shittt house fly could somehow turn it around.
Thanks head.:help::booboo:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Do you actually know that he had a fill nmc? You say you do but act like you dont.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Why are you consoling them? They almost made it to the finals very recently, let them stew for a decade before we start feeling bad.
It's hard to say we have been lucky when all we do is move down rather than up winning one out of 3 lotteries when we were last 3 times.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Strange comment. Perhaps getting player x helps but we are never gonna be set. Always need someone in reserve pushing other players.

Plus Dash isn’t an NHL contributor until 20-21 at the earliest.
We need a 2C for the next 10 to play behind Eichel, once we have that we are set for center. Mittlestadt isnt the answer.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I saw a conditional 4th round pick from SJ from the Kane trade. Sharks can keep it but it becomes a 3rd next year. Did SJ elect to keep the pick already?

I was counting that one. I haven’t heard anything yet

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Do you actually know that he had a fill nmc? You say you do but act like you dont.

He had full NMC, credible sources like Lebrun have said that. It's also been said he wouldn't waive it. You think Carolina gave him up so cheaply for no reason?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We need a 2C for the next 10 to play behind Eichel, once we have that we are set for center. Mittlestadt isnt the answer.

Mittelstadt isn't the answer right now. But they may still have faith that he can develop into that player. It's that they don't have much after him that is a point of concern, nearly as much as whether or not Casey can deliver on his potential.

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad