GDT: The Draft Lottery, Tuesday, April 9th

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Last year wasn't exactly one for the "darlings". I still can't believe people actually believe the lottery is rigged, the mental gymnastics that people go through to convince themselves it's so is obscene.

If altering the odds and further making teams stay in the bottom is rigging the lottery then sure. Otherwise you just did some amazing mental gymnastics to claim I said it was rigged. I'll take Jumping To Conclusions for $500, Alex.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Chicago with the big jump but #3 is a complete wildcard. I'm fascinated to see who they pick.

You want to win a lottery, you trade for Taylor Hall!!!
NJ has mastered winning the lottery in years that have a good but not great talent at the top. Nico and Hughes/Kakko

I'm not shedding any tears over 7. Will get the same player at 7 as at 5 in this draft (probably as at 3 as well)

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
RE:Trading the picks

It all depends on what our window is perceived to be by management. I think we are still 2-3 years away from being a serious playoff team without some type of bold move. Given that, keep the picks and draft for the future unless somebody is willing to give up on a young 2nd line center.

Reactions: Vito_81

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So right now, am I right I’m thinking we have our 2 1sts and then don’t pick until the 4th round? Or am I missing something.

Seems Botts went a little drunk spending with a chest not full of draft picks.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Here's the way I see the draft board:

Tier 1
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko

Tier 2
3. Dylan Cozens
4. Kirby Dach
5. Bowen Byram
6. Vasily Podkolzin

Tier 3
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Trevor Zegras
9. Matthew Boldy
10. Peyton Krebs

To be honest I'm happy with anyone in Tier 3 and would be thrilled to get anyone in Tier 2 should any of them fall (but I really do not want Byram because we need scoring help so badly).

If I had to bet, I would say we'll take either Turcotte or Zegras.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
If altering the odds and further making teams stay in the bottom is rigging the lottery then sure. Otherwise you just did some amazing mental gymnastics to claim I said it was rigged. I'll take Jumping To Conclusions for $500, Alex.

gln6bwoamx121.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So right now, am I right I’m thinking we have our 2 1sts and then don’t pick until the 4th round? Or am I missing something.

Seems Botts went a little drunk spending with a chest not full of draft picks.

Third round is the next pick, 4th is the Sheary deal unless he tosses Hunwick out prior to the draft.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
RE:Trading the picks

It all depends on what our window is perceived to be by management. I think we are still 2-3 years away from being a serious playoff team without some type of bold move. Given that, keep the picks and draft for the future unless somebody is willing to give up on a young 2nd line center.

With Botterill the window is perpetually "next year".

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Here's the way I see the draft board:

Tier 1
1. Jack Hughes
2. Kaapo Kakko

Tier 2
3. Dylan Cozens
4. Kirby Dach
5. Bowen Byram
6. Vasily Podkolzin

Tier 3
7. Alex Turcotte
8. Trevor Zegras
9. Matthew Boldy
10. Peyton Krebs

To be honest I'm happy with anyone in Tier 3 and would be thrilled to get anyone in Tier 2 should any of them fall (but I really do not want Byram because we need scoring help so badly).

If I had to bet, I would say we'll take either Turcotte or Zegras.

Turcotte could be there at 7. There are a few mock drafts that have Turcotte at 7 or 8. If Dach and Cozens go in the top 6 then Turcotte will be there.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
If your gm thinks he has to trade a 7th overall pick to help his team win now you should have changed GMs already
This this this. Trading a top 10 pick is risky. Trading a top 10 pick to help “win now” Is a fireable offense.

I’m especially wary of moving the 7th + Risto for one player back.

I know we are used to drafting top 8 for what feels like a century but moving those types of picks are not wise.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This this this. Trading a top 10 pick is risky. Trading a top 10 pick to help “win now” Is a fireable offense.

I’m especially wary of moving the 7th + Risto for one player back.

I know we are used to drafting top 8 for what feels like a century but moving those types of picks are not wise.
Not really, if you trade a top 10 pick PLUS for someone like Point why would that be a bad thing?

Reactions: Tatanka

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
honestly, just swing for the fences. if pod is still there, take him. if turcotte is off the board, go all in on krebs or caufield.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So basically, relative to the normal set of picks, we are missing a 4th and 5th but upgraded a 2nd to a late 1st. Not great, but also not what I would call a "dearth."

I didn't call it a "dearth"

I was originally commenting on when we would be picking.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know you didn't, but the person you quoted did. Sorry for the confusion.

I was just shocked, for a guy, whose focus is drafting and development, and wanted to push back the timeline a bit, and for punting these past two seasons, I was thinking that we might have a lot more in our draft pick collection. For what we had to endure, for the players we traded away, I hoped we would have more opportunities to hit on picks/prospects. Now if Skinner doesn't re-sign here, that's really going to leave a black eye on his asset management ability for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad