The Draft Analyst: NHL's Top 25 under 25

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Reactions: MatthewFlames

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Disagree with a large portion of the list. Hampus way too high, Provorov should have cracked the top 25, Keller should be higher, Vasi that low is ridiculous given how how high Murray is, Ekblad too high.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Personally, I would rank Barkov over Forsberg, Vasi over Murray & Ekblad is too high on the list IMO.

Pretty hard to knock the goalie with 2 cups(yes it's a team game but goaltender is a tough position in the playoffs)

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
Pretty good list. Forsberg, Ekblad, Rantanen too high, Draisaitl, Werenski, Vasilevskiy too low.

Reactions: zar

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Thing is, Murray was hurt and his dad died. I don't think anybody ranks Vasilievsky over Murray to start last season. And Vasilievskiy was marginal in the 2nd half and was carried by his mates.

In the end, Murray's two Cups and an injury-riddled season trumps Vasilievskiy's one Vezina finalist season, and a suspect one at that.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
After Mackinnon this is a very, very, very bad list...

Laine, Barkov, Eichel, Draisaitl and Rantanen are all way too low.

Ekblad, Foresberg, Pastrnak, Murray, Lindholm and Nylander are way too high.

Point, Larkin and Provorov not making the list is makes it even more of a joke.

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Sorry I disagree with quite a bit of the list. Ill put a top15 of my personal preference.

1) McDavid
2) MacKinnon
3) Mathews
4) Barkov
5) Laine
6) Eichel
7) Jones
8) Draisaitl
9) Pastrnak
10) Gaudreau (24 for a few more weeks)
11) Forsberg
12) Barzal
13) Marner
14) Matt Murray
15) Werenski
---

Reactions: Ukki

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Personally would put Barkov number 2. He is an incredibly solid two-way player. There's a reason why he makes the "hardest players to play against" and similar rankings done by NHL players.

That being said, data and analysis was done so there's a good reason for the rankings, regardless of whether people disagree with it or not.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Struggling to find any case for Marner being ahead of Laine.

Or many of the others, honestly. You forgot the guy was #2 in NHL in goals?

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
McAvoy basically looks like a Doughty clone on the ice but he's not even an honorable mention? I dunno about that.

Think Ekblad is too high, Laine too low, some little things.

Nice list anyway.

B Stemhovilichski

Feb 15, 2016
Bay Town

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Jets fans arent gonna be happy Laine is that low and Ehlers/Connor didnt make it

Matt Murray coming off a .907sv% season at #7 but Vasi barely making it?

Lindholm top 10 but Rielly with 52pts in 76 games last year not even top 25?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Struggling to find any case for Marner being ahead of Laine.

Or many of the others, honestly. You forgot the guy was #2 in NHL in goals?

Case 1: Feb 10th - April 24th
14g,27a,41 pts in 33 games

I'd take Laine over Marner for the record, but perhaps Marner basically being a 1.10+ ppg player after being moved from the Bozak line to the Kadri line had something to do with it?

at the same time, Laine completely faded. 6g,8a,14pts in 27 games from march 20-may 20

once again, id still take laine but one guy was an absolute monster down the stretch and the other was a ghost

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Provorov spent a lot of time in his own end. He also was turnover prone.

Slavin and Lindholm are 100% cleaner defensively. There simply is no reason for me to believe Provorov at this stage is superior to either.

If you ignore analytics, then yes, and argument could be made. Provorov's traditional stats are very good.

Ekblad's traditional numbers practically are identical to Provorov's -- goals, points, shots, shot attempts, TOI.

Ekblad was far less sheltered, however. 47.8 for Provorov at 5v5 versus 41.5 for Ekblad. That six percent is a big difference and partly explains the edge Provorov has in points.

They had very similar seasons. I gave the edge to Ekblad because he had a bigger crap sandwich to eat.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Marner got the slightest edge over Laine because of Corsi and expected goals.

Blew my mind that such a heavy shooter like Laine with sheltered minutes spent a ton of time in his own end with little success.

Granted, he's a goal scorer and a great one at that. But It seemed like Marner took him game to a new level in the 2nd half and was dominant all over the ice, as opposed to Laine who was up and down.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Matt Murray over Vasi and Point? Ew

Two Cups are "ew"?

The kid had a Conn Smythe-worthy postseason and had another great run before turning 24.

After Mackinnon this is a very, very, very bad list...

Laine, Barkov, Eichel, Draisaitl and Rantanen are all way too low.

Ekblad, Foresberg, Pastrnak, Murray, Lindholm and Nylander are way too high.

Point, Larkin and Provorov not making the list is makes it even more of a joke.

So who gets removed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->