The Draft Analyst: Hart Trophy Contenders & Sleepers

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Hart Trophy Contenders and Sleepers - The Draft Analyst

This was a fun project. I think the biggest takeaway is how young these guys are.

None are ranked in any type of order. If I would make a prediction I'd say McDavid gets the nod over Draisaitl as long as he stays close in production and the Oilers make the playoffs. All things considered, I think MacKinnon deserves it the most and should be the other finalist.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Interesting article, I can tell you that Pasta has been basically the only one on his line creating consistent offence for about the past month and a half, Marchand has been in a mega slump.

With McDavid sidelined now I wonder how that effects the voting.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I'd say McDavid gets the nod over Draisaitl as long as he stays close in production and the Oilers make the playoffs. All things considered, I think MacKinnon deserves it the most and should be the other finalist.
McDavid's injury should change that. If we still manage to make the playoffs with this roster Draisaitl deserves the Hart.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
If the Hart doesn’t go to Mack I’ll be astounded at this point

If the voters consider he's got what, 45 points more than the closest teammate, plus they are a Cup contender, then he should be the favorite. But that's only if their definition is most valuable rather than the top scorer or best player in the league. I think what Draisaitll does without McDavid, however, will be a huge talking point come April.

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
If the voters consider he's got what, 45 points more than the closest teammate, plus they are a Cup contender, then he should be the favorite. But that's only if their definition is most valuable rather than the top scorer or best player in the league. I think what Draisaitll does without McDavid, however, will be a huge talking point come April.
Agreed, McDavid going down changes the complexion here. If Drai can continue to carry the load and manage to drag the Oil into the playoffs without MCD it'll be a tough roll

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Voters always remember what’s happened the most recently. So it will be largely forgotten that MacKinnon carries the Avs on his back while Rantanen and Landeskog were out where as Draisaitl playing without McDavid will be fresh in everyone’s minds.

I can’t see McDavid getting it if he misses three weeks. In my mind it’s a two horse race between MacKinnon and Drai, if the Oilers make the playoffs I think the Hart goes to Draisaitl.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Hmmm a couple points:

I don't think McDavid has a shot at the Hart if Draisaitl wins the Art Ross. There's just no way you can say a guy is MVP if his teammate has the most points in the league. Actually depending on how much time McDavid misses I think Draisaitl will win the Hart.

MacKinnon is the favorite above these guys IMO. Voters love a guy who does it own his own and it's not like MacKinnon is scoring significantly less than either of them. His team is also better. That's also why Eichel will probably get the throw in 3rd place nomination since he is so good and his team is so crappy. Wont win since they wont make the playoffs.

"90 point winger" Marchand - really? He scored 100 points last year dude.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Hart Trophy Contenders and Sleepers - The Draft Analyst

This was a fun project. I think the biggest takeaway is how young these guys are.

None are ranked in any type of order. If I would make a prediction I'd say McDavid gets the nod over Draisaitl as long as he stays close in production and the Oilers make the playoffs. All things considered, I think MacKinnon deserves it the most and should be the other finalist.

I liked the article and also really wonder if HM is really even a top 10 candidate this year?

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The most valuable should be the player who had the best season with the playoff cavaet.

Quality of linemates/team, % of offense, % over the next scorer all factor into a player's value. How much you consider this depends on your personal bias.

The AVs have more depth but Mac has been the most productive by far on his team. Drai carrying the Oilers gets stronger every game.

These two should be #1 and #2 by far at this point.

CanuckCity

Aug 23, 2012
Budapest
With McDavid out it really lightens the path for Draisaitl now. IMO its between him and MacKinnon and a toss up for 3rd. Before the injury Drai likely competes with McDavid for a lot of 1st place votes, maybe not so much now.

As a side note: for the Canucks I would rate their Hart candidates as 1. Markstrom, 2. Hughes, 3. Miller then Pettersson

BertMcDrai

Middle old guy loving sports
Nov 26, 2018
At this point (and if nothing changes significantly) it has to be one of Drai and MacK...both would be deserved winners.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->