Post-Game Talk: The dogs are back

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was a flatline performance because McDavid and Draisaitl were off, not because of Chiasson
That and the fact that the officials decided to let the Canucks cheat as much as they liked. Pretty hard for McDavid to play his game with someone holding, hooking, interfering with him every shift all night long. As others have noted Draisaitl wasn’t playing his best game last night either.

The line is doing well. Hitchcock is overplaying them, but looking at the NHL stats page, it doesn’t seem like playing a lot of minutes, or playing with a PTO is hurting Drai or McDavid’s numbers. In fact im pretty sure the broadcast put up a graphic last night during the game that showed most points since Dec 4, and McDavid and Draisaitl were 1 and 3.

So ride the horses that you got. Whenever I see McDavid sitting on the bench he always looks ready to go. I think talk of these guys being ‘exhausted’ is over stated. If Drai can’t handle the workload, which again, I don’t believe but some fans frequently use ‘exhaustion’ as an excuse when Drai plays poorly, then he needs to train harder and be in better shape. Since he and McDavid gobbled up so much of the cap themselves I’m sure that, whatever the fans think, those two guys understand the reality that they get to play with a lesser guy on one wing. I bet they’re delighted that the guy on their line at the moment is finishing some plays for them.

Hockey players appreciate a team mate who can put the puck in the net. Simple. I guarantee no one in that room is telling Chiasson he’s ‘just a PTO sitting in the slot benefiting’.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A solution to really open up the game is a radical change.

4 on 4 hockey instead of 5 on 5.

Much harder to hack and hold with more space out there.

Ideally I'd love 3 on 3 hockey for 60 minutes... but that's much, much too radical for anyone except guys like me who don't give 2 f***s for the traditions/reverence of the game.

3 on 3 in OT f***ing rocks and you'd have a startlingly large influx of new fans if that 3 on 3 hockey gets more exposure by being played for full games.

Here's another radical thought/proposal...

5 on 5 in the 1st period.
4 on 4 in the 2nd period.
3 on 3 in the 3rd and in OT.

FUN.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Russell has arguably been the most consistent dman on the Oilers since he arrived here (not necessarily the "best" at all times... but the most consistently good/above average)... but people can't get over his contract and NMC.

Fact is he makes the D better and the team is worse without him... but not a week goes by without someone saying he's overpaid and the contract sucks and they need to dump him somehow.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I hate to say this because I like Hall, but Nuge might be proving that he never needed Hall to carry him. He is playing with Borderline 4th line players right now and is doing great.

Reactions: WIOiler

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Don't watch the CFL btw then in any means. I'm pretty much turned off that product due to how bizarre the officiating is and its much worse in football because bad calls can just basically hand teams TD's or take them back. PI can put the ball on the one yard line. WTF? I've seems get 2-3 TD's that way, just that way, on bogus calls and win the game.

So I'm sympathetic to your message that bad calls can kill enjoyment and I've gone through some waves like that myself. But actually the game today is much more wide open then its usually been. This is free skating hockey. With the change in the lines, long passes, it opens up the game. More interference is called generally, its a lot more open today then hockey has usually been. That's something someone wouldn't necessarily know unless they watched hockey for 50 years.

Mostly last night the Oilers had trouble with the Canucks schemes, coverage, and pressure. it was the complete opposite of the prior game in which the Flyers didn't give a **** to cover anything. The Oilers get lulled into that kind of thing. I dread games like the Flyers game because I know it makes the Oilers feel "scoring is easy now". Then its back to reality a game later when a well coached club is actually covering them. Most of what stopped the Oilers was not infractions. It was well drilled systems, schemes, execution. Nucks played a better, and more cerebral game, and won.

Yeah, I suppose at this point us younger fans are spoiled by the new NHL. I personally didn't start watching hockey or the oilers until their 06 playoff run, and can honestly say I didn't understand the majority of the smaller aspects until years later.

My memories of hockey are going to be a much more open, free flowing game with every bit of interference being considered a potential game changing missed call.

Where as anyone who watched the glory days will likely remember a totally different style of hockey.

So here I am complaining that I want things to be as open as they were when I first started watching, not knowing how far the game has come in terms of freedom for skaters already.

I appreciate that things don't change overnight, and that obviously fans whining about things that were just good veteran plays not that long ago are going to come off as whiny and entitled, but I can't help but think the NHL itself is partially to blame for setting us up for disappointment.

The debate every offseason seems to be "how to increase scoring' and "how to grow the game" and it just seems so simple to me.. call the game by the books, but if you look at it from the perspective of these guys actually reffing and running the NHL I guess it makes more sense. They come from a generation of clutch and grab and getting their "bells rung", so trying to do something like calling every little play for these refs would be going against the norm of what these refs are used to. I can't speak for them obviously, but in a business like the NHL, I can't imagine having the balls to oppose a 20+ year old ref telling you you're doing something wrong.

It feels like the NHL is in an awkward spot overall. I can see why the games are called the way they are, but at the same time, if they want to grow the game to appeal to more than the average Canadian or hardcore American hockey fan, it's going to be through players like McDavid, Matthews, Eichel and the like being allowed to play to their fullest potential.

Until they hammer down and decide which way they want to go, and hold the refs and players accountable for not acting accordingly, they're going to be in this middle ground that everyone appears to hate.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Did anyone else notice Hitch singing Larssons praises in todays media scrum? I bet he felt horrible after his penalty last night...soo Hitch goes out of his way to praise what he brings to the team....what a great coach.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
lol, are you my brother? ;) haha

I bet we watched the Same Saturday morning cartoons as well. heh, that's too funny. That is EXACTLY who I was thinking of. Its a bird, its a duck, no, its Skinny Minny Miller flying through the air and getting extra points..

Haha!! Yes sir - too funny!
I loved Rollerderby!

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
The NHL does lip service to Calgary because the Flames org requires it financially and the NHL is trying to get a new arena built there. I'm being a bit flippant but sometimes I wonder.

My other theory is instigators like Tkachuk get away with a lot of **** because the NHL likes the drama. It sells controversy, sells passion, sells tickets. People shouldn't entirely ignore that there is some element of Carnival barker in all pro sports. It just isn't front Center, its more subtle.

I've also stated why Gaudreau gets so many calls.

But the NHL in anycase plays favorites. I don't think its ridiculous to state that, its the case, and it ain't changing.

Absolutely. Arizona anyone?
California reffing for playoffs?
And... sorry I have to do this - 3X lottery wins.
No doubt in my mind that Calgarys in the "don't touch / benefit of every doubt" phase.

It's what Bettman does best. Hate it but it works for the overall profit of the league.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
Don't read the posts then if I'm the cause of your annoyance. Simple. My point is clear.

The line had one goal ( a late one that proved to be immaterial). The line struggled with possession all night. The line was having trouble sustaining any considerable Ozone time. To the degree that in the same game Hitch had removed Chiasson from the line twice, in the 2nd , and 3rd period, and was rotating Pulju in there who was at least doing some grunt work.

Maybe you didn't notice it, but the first line, the Mcdrai line, had 2 SOG last night. They had one, one shot for 56mins of the game.

Now Hitch is talking about policing the topline and needing to do that. Meaning consideration of putting a Kass or a Lucic in there.

Sorry if we're playing the Vancouver Canucks, and losing, and getting outplayed if I'm not jumping out of my seat because the line gets one goal on a night the line was not even a factor.

As I stated yesterday in multiple posts, sure Chiasson is a nice story. He's worked hard here. He's deserved some toi. But its a temporary story and stop gap desperation ploy that doesn't work on every angle.

If you think McDrai should be digging in the corners all the time looking for pucks (I mean constantly) while a disposable PTO is sitting pretty in the slot what will you think when either of the lynchpins on this club gets injured doing it. Drai has already had serious concussion protocol, The last one impacted his play for over a month., the next one probably won't be pretty.

Neither of these guys are Benn or Getzlaf. They are not as big, and both are absorbing a crazy level of punishment out there. Teams are literally chopping these players down figuring its the only way to stop them. They're human, they'll fall eventually. There aren't two other topline players in the game that absorb more punishment. But hey, c'est la vie, why worry?

I think people get riled up because - and correct me if I'm wrong - but you wouldn't behave this way say if a certain player - Draisaitl comes to mind - had scored instead of Chaisson.

How on earth can you criticize this guy for doing what hes doing? I'm pretty sure even he knows it won't last. And what the hell other option do we have? Yes Chia f**ked up the team. But you still have to try to compete. And right now that's what's working.

Also...
Leon is kind of a big guy.

Reactions: TB12 and harpoon

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
You'd think introducing a talent like McDavid might force the opposition to adjust accordingly, but instead the refs are gracious enough to adjust instead so nobody else has to.

Actually this is true.
It's been quite a while since we've seen McD wind up and start to blow by a D that won't turn to skate backward or has to start skating 15' ahead of him just to have some type of position in his own end.

I really dont think all 30 teams suddenly adjusted to his speed. In my mind the bloody league and it's refusal to call any impedance on him has done this.
Great post - thanks for the reminder.

Reactions: Hopelessoilfan

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I hate to say this because I like Hall, but Nuge might be proving that he never needed Hall to carry him. He is playing with Borderline 4th line players right now and is doing great.

Might be proving?
IMO RNH clearly doesn't need Hall to be an effective player.

Reactions: ujju2

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Being an official is one of the most thankless jobs out there. You are always abused by fans on both sides no matter what you call. They should have a ref in the stands to overrule calls as that would vastly improve the officiating. Not perfect but a start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad