Post-Game Talk: The dogs are back

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
This would be true if it wasn't every fffffffffnn game. Any person with an objective opinion can see how bad the reffing is. Contact with McD 50 ft from the puck every game, slashing, holds, trips and cross checks. Absolute joke, you can even probably find 5 minutes of footage where the ref is standing 2 ft away doesn't call it.

If the Oilers PK played well last night they wouldn’t have lost.

Doesn’t matter if theres a ref conspiracy (lol). Wah Wah, its not fair, who cares? Play your game and you’ll win.

Oilers deserved more than one PP last night but two of our penalties were delay of game, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Reactions: RegDunlop

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If the Oilers PK played well last night they wouldn’t have lost.

Doesn’t matter if theres a ref conspiracy (lol). Wah Wah, its not fair, who cares? Play your game and you’ll win.

Oilers deserved more than one PP last night but two of our penalties were delay of game, talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
Kanye in your avatar

makes sense now... ;)

Reactions: North

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
So we outshoot our opponents in 5 out of the first 6 GP, being outshot in a game which we won 7-2... And the problem is we're not scoring enough.

Now we are scoring a lot and winning but have been outshot in the last games... COL outshot us 16-4 in the 3rd being down 5-1 and us missing Klefbom; WPG outshot us 15-2 in the 3rd being down 1 goal and us missing Klefbom and Russell; Philly outshot us 13-7 in the 3rd being down 2 goals us missing Klefbom and Russell; Vancouver got 5 PPs vs our 1 PP and funny enough outshot us...

We have had high offense teams in COL and WPG chasing in the 3rd, we've played the last 4 games without 1 1st pair D and 1 2nd pair D and we went 1 vs 5 in PPs against Van.

Come on. The narrative keeps changing here to fit whatever new heaven-is-falling scenario that can be drawn up from the last games.

The game scenarios are pretty telling, and that we are missing 2 out of our top 4 D (not even counting Sekera) has had an obvious effect. Doesn't mean this team is shit, it means they need to step up and fight (and get some good goaltending) until Russell, Klefbom and Sekera gets back.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
While I can appreciate the effort of the game day thread, the nature of the poll does speak to the up and down emotions and a bit of arrogance of some Oiler fans. It's true we were on a roll coming in, but missing some key players on the back end and facing a team we've historically had trouble with the last 5 years or so that was also coming in on a roll themselves is no reason to dismiss them. We ourselves have a team with one superstar and then a bunch of varying talents that hang by his coattails a lot of time. Pettersen is going to be a special player, and others like Horvat and Boeser are already great complimentary pieces. And this league is so tight that if you don't bring your A game, and the other team does, it won't be pretty. I can understand being positive and enthusiastic, but it's a good lesson to swallow a piece of humble pie when heads get too big and respect your opponent, no matter where they are in the standings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
So we outshoot our opponents in 5 out of the first 6 GP, being outshot in a game which we won 7-2... And the problem is we're not scoring enough.

Now we are scoring a lot and winning but have been outshot in the last games... COL outshot us 16-4 in the 3rd being down 5-1 and us missing Klefbom; WPG outshot us 15-2 in the 3rd being down 1 goal and us missing Klefbom and Russell; Philly outshot us 13-7 in the 3rd being down 2 goals us missing Klefbom and Russell; Vancouver got 5 PPs vs our 1 PP and funny enough outshot us...

We have had high offense teams in COL and WPG chasing in the 3rd, we've played the last 4 games without 1 1st pair D and 1 2nd pair D and we went 1 vs 5 in PPs against Van.

Come on. The narrative keeps changing here to fit whatever new heaven-is-falling scenario that can be drawn up from the last games.

The game scenarios are pretty telling, and that we are missing 2 out of our top 4 D (not even counting Sekera) has had an obvious effect. Doesn't mean this team is ****, it means they need to step up and fight (and get some good goaltending) until Russell, Klefbom and Sekera gets back.

Agree with all of your points. Unfortunately it's the very nature of some fans to expect blowouts when we're on a roll, and as soon as things get tough, the team is a bunch of bums. Will be interesting to see how this team plays in March when Sekera has a bunch of games under his belt.

Reactions: LaGu

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
The Oilers got out worked, but didn't play as bad as some here are suggesting. The reffing was atrocious though. When Louie said 'the Canucks have done a great job playing McDavid hard' I lost it. IT'S NOT PLAYING HIM HARD IT'S A f***ING NONSTOP SERIES OF PENALTIES!!!

I don't think Draisaitl was as bad as people are arguing, he created more than he gave up as usual. The weak spots I saw was the team's lack of finish overall, the weak D, and poor passing outside of the three star centres. Spooner, Lucic, Rieder all had weak games by my eye for forwards. Lots of fumbling the puck whenever they touched it. Chiasson got a good shot away but also didn't do much else all game.

I like Puljujarvi's game quite a bit but he needs to elevate the puck when he's getting wide open opportunities. Really happy to see him not look out of place on the first line for a few shifts.

Reactions: LaGu

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
It was just a shitty game where everything went wrong for the Oilers. We can expect more games like that while Klefbom and Russell are out.

The reffing was terrible though. That call on Puljujarvi was ridiculous, Pettersen grabbed his arm and then fell down. Would love to see McDavid start doing that, see how many calls he gets.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It was just a ****ty game where everything went wrong for the Oilers. We can expect more games like that while Klefbom and Russell are out.

The reffing was terrible though. That call on Puljujarvi was ridiculous, Pettersen grabbed his arm and then fell down. Would love to see McDavid start doing that, see how many calls he gets.

McDavid would be the one getting the penalty. For embellishment.:(

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The Oilers got out worked, but didn't play as bad as some here are suggesting. The reffing was atrocious though. When Louie said 'the Canucks have done a great job playing McDavid hard' I lost it. IT'S NOT PLAYING HIM HARD IT'S A ****ING NONSTOP SERIES OF PENALTIES!!!

I don't think Draisaitl was as bad as people are arguing, he created more than he gave up as usual. The weak spots I saw was the team's lack of finish overall, the weak D, and poor passing outside of the three star centres. Spooner, Lucic, Rieder all had weak games by my eye for forwards. Lots of fumbling the puck whenever they touched it. Chiasson got a good shot away but also didn't do much else all game.

I like Puljujarvi's game quite a bit but he needs to elevate the puck when he's getting wide open opportunities. Really happy to see him not look out of place on the first line for a few shifts.

I thought Drai did struggle some in the game. To me, he looked bagged. When he's feeling it and skating he is a beast, but last night was one of those games where he pulled up over the line and stopped, making it easy on the defenders to keep him in check. He needs to keep his feet moving, but I think he needs some rest. Hitch might want to throttle back a bit on his minutes.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Yeah, its as if by stating "I'm a huge Drai' fan half a dozen times a week it excuses an average 100posts a week where he's flaming the player for something.

The guy will look for literally any play by Drai in a game where he can say something about it. With that player getting 10X more negative focus than any other player.

I mean I can't think of one other player that Nabob commonly critiques. Not one. Anybody?

This is what I was trying to point out to him, which, in combination with his lavish praise for Pulju (and, Nuge), makes it obvious which players he likes and which players he's not a fan of. And then he thought I was some teenage fangirl defending Leon from criticism :laugh:.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
its is, but it isnt, the refs with the worst ratings dont get to ref in playoff games or past the 1st round. this is a source of lost revenue as they get paid for those games. it doesnt stop a ref who wants a 4 month break and doesnt need extra cash in his pocket though.
Yeah, but teams with the worst refs wont make the playoffs either. I'm obviously exaggerating but there needs to be a system in place that is controlled by the actual league (collectively) that it affects. I say keep it private, not public knowledge, but let the GMs elect and vote on all referee fines and suspensions. Problem solved. This way they're held accountable by the teams they f*** over.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I thought Drai did struggle some in the game. To me, he looked bagged. When he's feeling it and skating he is a beast, but last night was one of those games where he pulled up over the line and stopped, making it easy on the defenders to keep him in check. He needs to keep his feet moving, but I think he needs some rest. Hitch might want to throttle back a bit on his minutes.

I didn't say he was at his best, haha. Just that he wasn't a net negative or anything out there. I can think of this scoring opportunities he created on his own for instance. Agree that he wasn't skating as hard and might need his minutes cut back.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Now I can ***** and moan...

I want Wideman in the lineup as he's been good from what I've seen of him... and I'd bring Zykov and Rattie back in as well as they both have some ability to snipe and it's time to rotate some bodies out in the bottom 9.

I'd probably pull out 2 of Rieder/Spooner/Caggiula and either Benning/Garrison for the next game.

I want to see Zykov back in, but I think Rieder/Spooner/Cags have all been excellent. I absolutely agree that Wideman should draw in for Benning/Garrison.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
This is what I was trying to point out to him, which, in combination with his lavish praise for Pulju (and, Nuge), makes it obvious which players he likes and which players he's not a fan of. And then he thought I was some teenage fangirl defending Leon from criticism :laugh:.

The problem as I see it, is that the haters of the player or the clowns who just like to pile on, get lumped into the same category as the legit posters like Nabob or Guymez that offer constructive criticism as well as praise where warranted. Same way you, unfairly, get chucked into the same pot as other jaded posters that think the player can do no wrong, and become overly sensitive to the point they slam other players on the team.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Agreed.

The reffing isn't just bad for us. It's just bad period. Look what happened in Montreal the other night. Christ. And you can't say anything about it either. They're like a obnoxiously crooked police precinct,

Yep. Not sure how the NHL expects to "grow the game" when the fate of either team can be majorly influenced by how the stripes feel that day.

There should be no discretion in a penalty call. Either it was or wasn't a penalty. The only discretion should be if it's intent, unsportsmanlike or worthy of a misconduct.

There should be an official up in the pressbox capable of calling plays that the refs on the ice might not be able to see for one reason or another.

It's so frustrating to watch the same league every night, but have the rules be applied completely differently.

Reactions: TB12

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
The problem as I see it, is that the haters of the player or the clowns who just like to pile on, get lumped into the same category as the legit posters like Nabob or Guymez that offer constructive criticism as well as praise where warranted. Same way you, unfairly, get chucked into the same pot as other jaded posters that think the player can do no wrong, and become overly sensitive to the point they slam other players on the team.

I see your point - it's very perceptive - and what it actually leads to is a binary, or at least the perception of some dichotomy - between "lovers" and "haters" of certain players or posters that have undying love for certain players and no time for other players. For instance, I notice that some posters have this Drai vs. Nuge binary going where one player is glorified and the other is slammed at the expense of the first player. It makes me think, aren't these guys teammates? Aren't these guys working together for a common goal? What's the point in setting up some false dichotomy where one player is a god and the other garbage? Can we not just embrace both players for what they bring to the table?

Constructive criticism is great - it's the trashing that I take objection to. As I mentioned to Nabob, even the garbage I read about Benning, Talbot, Lucic, and Nurse is disgusting. Why I take exception to the Draisaitl bashing in particular is that he's one of the top contributors to the team and takes, from my perspective, an excessive amount of heat in proportion to what he brings to the team. Did he play well last night? No. Does he deserve 12 posts slamming him for every small mistake? No. It seems that for some posters the microscopes are focused more directly on Drai while other players get a much longer leash for their mistakes.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Yep. Not sure how the NHL expects to "grow the game" when the fate of either team can be majorly influenced by how the stripes feel that day.

There should be no discretion in a penalty call. Either it was or wasn't a penalty. The only discretion should be if it's intent, unsportsmanlike or worthy of a misconduct.

There should be an official up in the pressbox capable of calling plays that the refs on the ice might not be able to see for one reason or another.

It's so frustrating to watch the same league every night, but have the rules be applied completely differently.

Unfortunately, when a ref is "faced" with having to deal with a player like McDavid on any given night, the disparity between his speed and skill at that speed and everyone else's is so apparent that they could likely give someone a penalty nearly every shift he's out there. So they overcorrect and only give the odd blatant one. Meanwhile, much lesser players seem to have no problem getting the most innocuous calls,

Reactions: RegDunlop

North

Jun 25, 2009
I thought the team started off well but completely lost their rhythm when the reffing took over.

The delay of game penalties were gimmes but the other calls were horrible as were the non-calls specifically on Kassian’s breakaway and the ongoing interference on McDavid.

I’m glad Hitchcock said something because the guys in the room need to know he has their back. That was something McLellan never did.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Unfortunately, when a ref is "faced" with having to deal with a player like McDavid on any given night, the disparity between his speed and skill at that speed and everyone else's is so apparent that they could likely give someone a penalty nearly every shift he's out there. So they overcorrect and only give the odd blatant one. Meanwhile, much lesser players seem to have no problem getting the most innocuous calls,

You'd think introducing a talent like McDavid might force the opposition to adjust accordingly, but instead the refs are gracious enough to adjust instead so nobody else has to.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I thought the team started off well but completely lost their rhythm when the reffing took over.

The delay of game penalties were gimmes but the other calls were horrible as were the non-calls specifically on Kassian’s breakaway and the ongoing interference on McDavid.

I’m glad Hitchcock said something because the guys in the room need to know he has their back. That was something McLellan never did.

I may have seen it incorrectly, but I swear one of the delay of game calls was clearly off the glass as well

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
If they start calling all of the penalties they'll be forced stop taking the penalties. Wouldnt that be something. There are no consequences right now and they know they can get away with it. Just because McDavid is elite doesn't mean the rule book goes out the window. It's insane to mistreat a player like that.

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I see your point - it's very perceptive - and what it actually leads to is a binary, or at least the perception of some dichotomy - between "lovers" and "haters" of certain players or posters that have undying love for certain players and no time for other players. For instance, I notice that some posters have this Drai vs. Nuge binary going where one player is glorified and the other is slammed at the expense of the first player. It makes me think, aren't these guys teammates? Aren't these guys working together for a common goal? What's the point in setting up some false dichotomy where one player is a god and the other garbage? Can we not just embrace both players for what they bring to the table?

Constructive criticism is great - it's the trashing that I take objection to. As I mentioned to Nabob, even the garbage I read about Benning, Talbot, Lucic, and Nurse is disgusting. Why I take exception to the Draisaitl bashing in particular is that he's one of the top contributors to the team and takes, from my perspective, an excessive amount of heat in proportion to what he brings to the team. Did he play well last night? No. Does he deserve 12 posts slamming him for every small mistake? No. It seems that for some posters the microscopes are focused more directly on Drai while other players get a much longer leash for their mistakes.

Unfortunately, and likely unfairly, Draisatl is going to continue to get more than his fair share of heat, due to a couple things. # 1 is his contract. Other guys can have lousy games, but when you're only making a couple mill, people are more likely to brush it off. But he is such an immense talent, the expectations for him are through the roof, that people want full value and beyond. And it doesn't help when he is put up next to the best and fastest player in the game. While it helps his point production and compliments his game, being up on the pedestal next to McDavid is not going to help anyone's perception of this fine player.

As to hearing and acknowledging your comments, it should be noted that one of the posters that has sidled up to you on this issue is noted for picking out a particular player on a team, and not only defending everything he can, but dismissing all others who play with him. He did this with the Eskimos, deeming Mike Reilly a god, and basically trashing every other player around him and blaming them for any lack of success. This type of thought process and behavior tends to bring the other loonies on the opposite side out of the woodwork, and I would suggest provides copious amounts of oil to be dumped on the fire.

Reactions: TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->