Confirmed with Link: The Devils call-up Jon Merrill

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Looks like he never had one

With the way he was helped off the ice and had the case of the "spaghetti legs"... there's just no way he didn't suffer a concusion.

The last thing I'd trust if I was a pro athlete is our medical staff

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I agree... Maybe that's why they are getting multiple opinions because he really did not look good or aware and conscious.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
With the way he was helped off the ice and had the case of the "spaghetti legs"... there's just no way he didn't suffer a concusion.

I've been knocked out cold (literally) from a hit and I didn't suffer a concussion. At least to the best of my knowledge. It's possible to get crushed on a hit and even lose consciousness without suffering a concussion. Not saying Merrill did or did not, but it's not definite.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
It would be really nice if he never suffered a concussion. A poster brought up a good point recently that if there's one thing I don't think Lou can lie about anymore it's concussions. With the protocols in place, the lawsuits in the NFL, and the transparency in the process there's very little Lou can do to hide it. So if we're being told no, for once, I believe we can accept that as truth.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
there's no way he did not suffer a concussion. maybe it was very minor, but it's really not physically possible with the amount of force he hit the boards he didn't suffer one at all. there's no real accepted medical definition of a concussion anyway, so doctors saying he didn't suffer one is meaningless. minor head injury = concussion and they have a cumulative effect regardless of if he's showing textbook signs of one right now.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey

They made him go to a neurologist. They take head injuries really seriously now so I'll trust what they have to say.

ThePSEGPowerPoster

LOSER POINTS!
Feb 23, 2013
there's no way he did not suffer a concussion. maybe it was very minor, but it's really not physically possible with the amount of force he hit the boards he didn't suffer one at all. there's no real accepted medical definition of a concussion anyway, so doctors saying he didn't suffer one is meaningless. minor head injury = concussion and they have a cumulative effect regardless of if he's showing textbook signs of one right now.

I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate. But I can provide the NHL Policy so everyone can know what he passed (so maybe we feel more comfortable with the team saying he had no concussion):

Here are the official NHL test forms: http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/concussionprotocol1.jpg?w=791&h=1023
http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/concussionprotocol2.jpg?w=791&h=1023

The players are taken off the ice, into a quiet area, and are taken through the SCAT2 Exam using imPACT. The baseline, from what I've read, is pretty systematic. Granted, the test alone isn't sufficient and requires a doctor's opinion - the team doctor.

I just don't understand why the team doctor would lie or skew the results towards his favor. The Devils wouldn't rush him on the ice regardless.

Khione

Swede or Turnip?
Jul 24, 2013
Duna
Well if the team doctor say that i got to believe it. But i think this is his first so it went over quick. His egg has been rocked. :shakehead

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate. But I can provide the NHL Policy so everyone can know what he passed (so maybe we feel more comfortable with the team saying he had no concussion):

Here are the official NHL test forms: http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/concussionprotocol1.jpg?w=791&h=1023
http://sportsdocuments.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/concussionprotocol2.jpg?w=791&h=1023

The players are taken off the ice, into a quiet area, and are taken through the SCAT2 Exam using imPACT. The baseline, from what I've read, is pretty systematic. Granted, the test alone isn't sufficient and requires a doctor's opinion - the team doctor.

I just don't understand why the team doctor would lie or skew the results towards his favor. The Devils wouldn't rush him on the ice regardless.

I don't think anyone is lying, but this clearly effected his brain just by seeing how clueless and out of it he was after the impact. Regardless of any tests that were done, he suffered a head injury. Head injury that effects cognition/balance ≈ concussion and that can impact his future. I'm not worried, but I'm also not completely at ease because a team doctor said he was okay.

NC107*

Devils Team doctor like Lou don't tell it all.

It is a Lou mandate. Finger on everything.

Control freak.

njdevscup30

Boom Boom
Apr 25, 2006
Blacksburg
I don't think anyone is lying, but this clearly effected his brain just by seeing how clueless and out of it he was after the impact. Regardless of any tests that were done, he suffered a head injury. Head injury that effects cognition/balance ≈ concussion and that can impact his future. I'm not worried, but I'm also not completely at ease because a team doctor said he was okay.

Agreed, he got a concussion, whether it was significant enough for IMPACT to tell him if he can play or not is another story. I'd err on the side of caution. Head injuries are pretty serious.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Odds are ya he did have a minor concussion. He also apparently had a lot of facial lacerations. Feel bad for the kid, what a messed up way to premier in the NHL.

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
Sorry to chime in with medical knowledge here, but there really aren't any "tests" for concussions. It's a diagnosis made entirely by clinical presentation. Concussions don't show up on x-rays, CAT scans, or MRI's. The neurologist can do some physical tests and mental tests---but the "tests" won't 100% confirm a concussion.

Given his wooziness when getting up and the sheer force of the impact though, I'd say there's a very good chance he has a concussion.

EDIT: They may be concerned even more given his history of a neck vertebra fracture. I think the Devils are smart here in following the current medical recommendation of "when in doubt, sit out".

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
From what I understand, the only "required" symptom needed to diagnose a concussion is memory loss. Everything else is at the physician's discretion.

Iceman78

Jan 6, 2006
Bayonne, NJ
From what I understand, the only "required" symptom needed to diagnose a concussion is memory loss. Everything else is at the physician's discretion.

Memory loss is not required for a concussion diagnosis---just as loss of consciousness is not required for a diagnosis. But of course, either of the two definitely supports a concussion diagnosis.

It's almost entirely at the physician's discretion. I know because I've had 2 concussions diagnosed, and as a medical student, one of my biggest interests is neurology.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->