The Detroit Black Wings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
This is the end....

ESPN Insider Story.......

Noting that in 1927, when known as the Detroit Falcons, the franchise had both red and black striping, the Red Wings have announced their new uniforms will contain black accents.

"The history of this franchise is very important to us, as are the fan’s desires." said owner Mike Ilitch. "We feel the fan want to see a more modern look. With Detroit’s Lions adding black with such great success recently, I thought it was only natural to bring the same look to the Red Wings."

The jerseys are said to closely resemble the current practice jerseys, as Reebok has stated most NHL teams’ new jerseys will, but with black cuffs and collar and black panels under the white gusset inserts.

The new Red Wings home jersey will be red, and will feature a mid-weight ULTRAFIL polyester construction, as well as double layered shoulders, black interlock neck trim, reinforced stitching on the shoulders and armholes, with black cuffs and white polyester mesh gusset inserts for better ventilation. Below the gussets, the jersey will be black. The flying wheel chest crest will feature a black drop shadow, and the jersey will have black player numbers under the white player name. Piping across the shoulders will be reflective white.
http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=31867&st=40

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I think I'm going to be sick.

One day people are going to look back at this "EVERY JERSEY IN SPORTS MUST HAVE BLACK ON IT!" phase as some sort of bad acid trip.

Michael Morbid

Jun 11, 2004
PBC
It's bad enough all the jerseys will look like those ridiculous practice jerseys next season (I give it half a season, tops) but now this. :shakehead

Shame on you Reebok and shame on you NHL. :teach:

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Ew. Is this supposed to be a 3rd jersey or is this gonna be the replacement?

I like the jersey the way it is. Besides, I already spent $200 on the authentic jersey, I'm not going to get another one especially if it's ugly (which is what Illitch is hoping for, fans to buy the new jersey).

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Maybe it's just me, and I'm sure I'll get flamed, but you really shouldn't be quoting an article that you have to pay to read, especially reprinting the entire article. Yes, I know you copied it from the other site (I am also a member there) but it's not ethical to give for free what they expect you to pay for, no matter how you feel about the arrangement.

Coffee and 7's*

and the jersey will have black player numbers under the white player name

jesus christ...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Epsilon said:
I think I'm going to be sick.

One day people are going to look back at this "EVERY JERSEY IN SPORTS MUST HAVE BLACK ON IT!" phase as some sort of bad acid trip.
Remember the Teal Era?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
No black, unless on a third jersey.

Or are they trying to mime the Ottawa Sen's look?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
They should be a 3rd jersey at least first...

and please tell me why the Red Wings would want to follow the lead of the Lions...

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Holy moly - first the Ducks uniform change (which is welcome) and now the Red Wings?
Wonder what other team might change things?
I hate to think the Red Wings are going to mess with the uniforms because Reebok wants them to. Or because the local NFL team did it. Hopefully they don't follow any more of the Detroit Lions lead.........
I know the article states they had black way back in '27, but c'mon.

edit: I looked on NHLuniforms.com, and when the Detroit franchise was the Falcons in '31, it doesn't show ANY black on the uniform - take a look:

So? I see orange, not black.

Last edited:

Vic Rattlehead*

Black only works for a few teams.

Detroit is not one of them.

EDIT---I found this in the thread:

am i the only one who's freakin' pissed that the bruins are supposedly getting a new logo, too?

Huh?

Scotty Hockey

Jan 6, 2006
Commack, NY
zetterberg40 said:
personally i think added black is what we needed

Why?

I don't see the desire to change the best. Maybe come out with a 3rd jersey, but don't mess with the classics. That is just f-ed up ... I couldn't imagine the league redoing the diagonal Rangers jersey or the Habs C with black ...

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
This is a big mistake by Illitch. I don't know what the hell he's thinking, but I'm sure this is the advice of one of those turds in the wings ultra-cheesy Marketing Dept.

The Wings have one of the most recognizable jerseys in all of sports. Why make it look just like everything else? OK, I know....$$$$$. Nowadays teams treat jerseys like fashion trends. Next year it'll be black, and in 5 more years they can just switch it to the whatever color will be "in" then.

Edit: All the above presupposes that these jerseys are replacing the present jerseys. If they just add a third jersey for a few selected games, i could live with that.

Guy Legend

Jun 2, 2005
St. Louis
Sounds terrible.

It's ridiculous if the switch to the new Reebok jerseys next year include overall design. That would be a travesty and a complete joke.

phillypensfan

Aug 3, 2005
I was trying to post the pics of the jerseys but the best thing you can do is check out that link and look halfway down the page and you'll see which one I'm talking about that the fans wear.

Last edited:

octopi

Dec 29, 2004

O'shizzle

Oct 21, 2005
Detroit
octopi said:
Just because the jerseys are aerodynamic, is there some rule stating they must be striped down the sides?
You know that the stripes are what give the players greater speed, don't you? It'll be like illegal sticks: Your side stripes can only be so wide. Teams will challenge an opposing players stripes, and either get a power play or be shorthanded depending on the measurements.

My guess is that Homer will be a repeat offender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad