Boston Bruins The demographic of Boston Bruins fans

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
82, headlined by Cape Cods finest "The Freeze"

Guess it was earlier than I thought. I was a huge punk fan, though not so much of hardcore, or later, thrash.

Nonetheless, "This is Boston/Not L.A. /This is Boston/Eff L.A.!"

Let Them Eat Jellybeans was fab. As were the Meatmen (We're the Meatmen & You Suck).

RIP the Rat (Rathskeller), Spit, Bunratty's, Narcissus, TT's, et. al.

"Where have all the good times gone?"

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I had that album- bought in 8th grade. I used to listen to a punk show on the Keene State radio station on Sunday nights and heard some of the bands. Next trip to Boston my mom took me to a record shop on Newbury Street (I think) where I bought it. What a blast from the past.

Newbury Comics or Nuggets?

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Bobby Orr made me a Boston fan when I was a youngster. I’m well educated (M.A.), speak a few languages and am fortunate to have a darn good white-collar job, but I came from a single-parent household that was decidedly lower-middle class.

I just love that there are Bruins fans around the world. It’s always great to see the support for the team when it’s on the road.

Bruin

Apr 19, 2018
Alaska
I was a weird smoker, I would only smoke a smoke or 2 a day and sometimes none, but if I drank I would smoke 10-15. I promised myself I would quit when I was 40 and as above, I turned 40 last year and smoked until October until I got a cold and felt like garbage. October 4th 2018 was the last day I picked up a smoke and hopefully will never again. I really have no desire to smoke anymore but I bet if I had one I would be right back on the darts again.
Sounds like me, a pack of smokes would last me up to a week as long as I didn’t drink. Being in the military at that time damn near everyone smoked and I had 2 good buddies I’d smoke with outside, I got tired of it so I challenged them to quit in Nov 1994. I was the only one that quit and did it cold turkey and haven’t had a smoke since.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Bruins fans get it from their parents who got it from their parents.

The Red Sox have the same DNA.

The roots of Bruins fandom is Irish and Italian blue collar and I don't think that has changed that much. The Red Sox and Celtics pick up fans from people who went to school in Boston and stayed in the area.

The bolded is true in my case.

My grandfather came to the US from Bonaventure, Quebec in the early 20th century. He was a Boston Bruins fan likely from the team’s founding in 1924. He detested the Montreal Canadiens with a rare contempt that I could never hope to match. The catalyst for his coming here was both parents and his grandparents all dying in 1909 and leaving him orphaned. The cause of this calamity has been lost to the mists of time, but what isn’t lost on me is that 1909 was also the year the Canadiens were founded. So, both in life and in sport, the province of Quebec was not kind to Poppy (as he was known). Poppy was a blue collar man working as an operating engineer with IUOE Local 4. A union man and Bruins fan till he passed 4 months before I took my first breath.

upload_2019-6-11_18-0-48.jpeg

Dad came on board during the Bobby Orr era. Dad was always more into cars and girls growing up, and didn’t share Poppy’s passion for the Bruins in quite the same way. Dad kind of drifted a little bit as there was less and less fighting in the game, but found the Bruins again in retirement. Of the current Bruins, Brad Marchand was his favorite and could do no wrong in his eyes. Dad was also a blue collar IUOE Local 4 operating engineer.

Miss you, Pop. Wish you were here for this.

upload_2019-6-11_18-4-58.jpeg

I’m also a blue collar guy. I went to college, graduated, but pulled a major career switcheroo. I’m a IBEW Local 103 electrician, as is my brother, with whom I’ll be watching the game tomorrow night.

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
They're still around. Locations on Newbury & (I think) in the Cambridge "Garage" (sic).
Loved going to Newbury Comics as a high schooler; think I bought my Mission of Burma album there. Then Nuggets a lot when I was at BU. There used to be an awesome sandwich shop next door called Mississippi’s, though I could rarely afford a sandwich there.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I became a fan of hockey years before I became a fan of the Bruins. My father got me into hockey, but is from Detroit and remains a Red Wings fan.

From a historical perspective, the “blue collar” thing may be correct, but that’s changing as the city is changing and you see it with young fans. There is less and less blue collar and most young fans are not blue collar at all IMO.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I became a fan of hockey years before I became a fan of the Bruins. My father got me into hockey, but is from Detroit and remains a Red Wings fan.

From a historical perspective, the “blue collar” thing may be correct, but that’s changing as the city is changing and you see it with young fans. There is less and less blue collar and most young fans are not blue collar at all IMO.
There’s less blue collar in the country in general (and that’s not exactly a good thing).

Get out of the road, if you want to grow old.

Reactions: rfournier103

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
There’s less blue collar in the country in general (and that’s not exactly a good thing).

Get out of the road, if you want to grow old.

We’re going to get off topic, but your assertion about “less blue collar” is certainly something in which this 30 year old agrees.

I think almost daily about how backwards (and unhelpful) it was that my middle class upbringing never once asked me to think about going into the trades. The shortages in blue collar America are only getting bigger and are thus opening up huge monetary opportunities to those with those skills.

Meanwhile, here I am with my Bachelor’s degree in business, not liking my current job, trying to figure out what mediocre pay path to travel.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Loved going to Newbury Comics as a high schooler; think I bought my Mission of Burma album there. Then Nuggets a lot when I was at BU. There used to be an awesome sandwich shop next door called Mississippi’s, though I could rarely afford a sandwich there.

Next door to Nuggets on Comm. Ave.? Don't recall that.

What was the used record shop in Kenmore a few doors down from the Rat, the one that had the fire (sic)? I also forget the name of the used record place on Boylston, across the street from Berklee College of Music. That was there forever.

Though, of course, it's long gone now.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I became a bruins fan on my own more or less, my parents would put games on occasionally but I ended up making that happen more and more. My dad grew up a flyers fan but always loved seeing Bobby Orr play, he went to get jerseys at a store and they were all sold out, except for a Derek Sanderson. So he wore that and his brothers wore flyers jerseys and he grew up loving both. My mom loved the bruins too growing up in Whitman but she was always more rabid about the Pats

So I used to watch the games on a crt by a wood stove while it snowed out and I just loved the feel of the game and sounds of it as a child, and the juxtaposition of the cold and cool colors of it with my windows around the room during the winter (especially if it started to snow which happened a lot 10 minutes north of mount wachusett)

I’ve never loved a team more than the Chara Bergeron era though

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Next door to Nuggets on Comm. Ave.? Don't recall that.

What was the used record shop in Kenmore a few doors down from the Rat, the one that had the fire (sic)? I also forget the name of the used record place on Boylston, across the street from Berklee College of Music. That was there forever.

Though, of course, it's long gone now.
Omg I just took a look at Google maps and that whole block is completely different now. Course, I was a student there from 1981-1986 so it would be different ! But yeah that record store a few doors down from the Rathskeller (which appears to be a 7-11 now) that WAS Nuggets!! It was a small hole of a shop that you walked down steps into. Maybe that was the original ? Awesome shop, it was. I got a ton of music there and posters I still have, including a sweet rare Sex Pistols poster. One of my treasures.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Omg I just took a look at Google maps and that whole block is completely different now. Course, I was a student there from 1981-1986 so it would be different ! But yeah that record store a few doors down from the Rathskeller (which appears to be a 7-11 now) that WAS Nuggets!! It was a small hole of a shop that you walked down steps into. Maybe that was the original ? Awesome shop, it was. I got a ton of music there and posters I still have, including a sweet rare Sex Pistols poster. One of my treasures.

That's pretty funny. And yes, Kenmore Square, which used to be rather down at the heel, is now a playground for the well to do. Just like everywhere else in town.

Perhaps I'm wrong, but the record store I thought was Nuggets was further down toward Mass. Ave., not in the square proper. The other store (the one that had the fire) was more or less next door to the 7-11. For all I know, there's a new 7-11.

Big Pistols fan here. Shook Lydon's hand in '85 when he passed through with PIL. Won't bore anyone further, but believe *that* show was at the Paradise...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->