Boston Bruins The demographic of Boston Bruins fans

Hat Trick Wizard

May 20, 2018
So I am curious to know about the infography makeup of Bruins fans. There was a post in a ratings thread where a poster said the Bruins have always had a more blue collar fan base compared to other Boston sport teams. This viewpoint has been beaten to death by the Boston media, notably by such personalities as Dan Shaughnessy and Mike Felger.

Fenway said:
This debate does back generations and much of it is cultural.

The Celtics hardcore base going back to the Bill Russell dynasty years was heavily Jewish and affluent. The same applied to NBA teams in Philadelphia and New York. The Bruins fanbase was heavily Catholic and blue collar. Even today you can monitor it by train traffic out of North Station after a game. The Fitchburg line which goes to some of the most affluent suburbs in Boston is packed after a Celtics game, the Bruins games not so much. The reverse is true on the Lowell, Haverhill and Newburyport/Rockport lines.

On the subway, the Riverside line that travels through Brookline, Chestnut Hill, and Newton is packed with Celtics fans, the Bruins games not so much.

That useful idiot Shaughnessy wrote an article back in 1990 that portrayed the fanbase as being the beer-drinking American car driving crowd that packs in the Bruins games. Who are the Boston fans?

There are some identical conclusions we could make about the fanbase of this great team. It's obvious going to have a very white fanbase. The gender makeup is largely male, though a good size of females I know love hockey and the B's. The blue collar image I don't get because the NHL is supposedly has the highest educated and most affluent fanbase of the four main professional sport leagues. Is the Boston media portraying of the Bruins fan outdated, or does this still reflect the diehard fan who couldn't afford to go to games but watches them in the comfort of their home?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Having only been to Boston to watch games and watch my bride spend money shopping, the vibe I have always gotten from the fans when at a game was a great appreciation for the hard working, lunch pail kind of players while clearly having an equal appreciation of the skilled one`s too. Bruin fans have been so fortunate having a ton of past greats and even those who played with skill, also brought grit.

I don`t think being educated or having financial comfort plays any role in determining what type of game the fans crave or want. I think teams tend to take on the identity of the city and when it comes to Boston, it always felt like a town where you take pride in working hard and working honest and that`s what fans seem to appreciate from their athlete`s.

My only real comparison is Ottawa where Dad had season tix for a few years until he couldn`t take it any longer, the city itself is a huge Gov`t town, lots of affluent areas, certainly some lower income and public housing areas too but overall, a very conservative city and the teams I have watched over the years have taken on that type of personality. Not really a team whose ever iced a bunch of bruisers/goons who win by trying to run teams out of the building physically. They were, once they became decent (and before the last few years) a team who focused more on skill and less on the grit and sandpaper guys

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
The Bruins' fan base, at least as I ride the subway and bus in various parts of the metro, primarily still seems very blue collar, at least the fans wearing team gear. But often seen smoking a cigarette, unfortunately.

Since tix are so expensive, how do they afford it? Maybe they don't often go away on vacation or own a vacation home in New England, and most of their disposable income goes to their Bruins fandom. Or maybe they don't even by tix but just watch on tv.

Surprisingly in recent years, I've noticed a growing fanbase seen on the subway and elsewhere of Hispanic and some Asians wearing Bruins hats and shirts. That'll make Gary Bettman happy!

I do notice more Bruins license plates than Celtics ones, I think, and almost as much as Patriots and Red Sox plates -- though overall, very few cars sport any of them. Some jeeps are seen displaying a big Bruins covering over the spare tire of which I like the look.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The Bruins' fan base, at least as I ride the subway and bus in various parts of the metro, primarily still seems very blue collar, at least the fans wearing team gear. But often seen smoking a cigarette, unfortunately.

Since tix are so expensive, how do they afford it? Maybe they don't often go away on vacation or own a vacation home in New England, and most of their disposable income goes to their Bruins fandom. Or maybe they don't even by tix but just watch on tv.

Surprisingly in recent years, I've noticed a growing fanbase seen on the subway and elsewhere of Hispanic and some Asians wearing Bruins hats and shirts. That'll make Gary Bettman happy!

I do notice more Bruins license plates than Celtics ones, I think, and almost as much as Patriots and Red Sox plates -- though overall, very few cars sport any of them. Some jeeps are seen displaying a big Bruins covering over the spare tire of which I like the look.

It's not easy being a B's fan

giphy.gif

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA
Its interesting. 80% of the time I see someone out and about with heavy Bs gear on (sans playoffs) the individual(s) definitely look blue collar!! Ive been going to games since 19984 and I always thought fans at Pats games prior to 2001 were way more savage. Me, I have a Masters Degree and some means for whatever that is worth. Id rather go to a Bs game than Sox, Pats and I don't watch or go to Celtics games. I live on Cape and also play mens league hockey and have plenty of Bs gear!

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Its interesting. 80% of the time I see someone out and about with heavy Bs gear on (sans playoffs) the individual(s) definitely look blue collar!! Ive been going to games since 19984 and I always thought fans at Pats games prior to 2001 were way more savage. Me, I have a Masters Degree and some means for whatever that is worth. Id rather go to a Bs game than Sox, Pats and I don't watch or go to Celtics games. I live on Cape and also play mens league hockey and have plenty of Bs gear!

I have two Masters Degrees, so I can only afford to go once a year now!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think its all over the place. But the Boston area in general is that way these days I don't see a huge divide between white and blue collar. Just my take. Bruins have a bigger loyal base than the C's when times are bad but I think there's no real difference between the 2 on a finals run. Sure the Patriots are #1 but how many fans age 18 or under have set foot in Gillette Stadium for one of the 8 regular season games a year that cost hundreds of dollars for nosebleeds? I only went to old Foxboro for a handful of games and turned 17 right when the stadiums swapped set up the industrial shelving in Gillette for a HS job missed school one day for it because it paid union. But point is I'd say its maybe 1-2% or so you could make the case that a super blue collar 18 year old Pats fan that watches every game is a pink hat because they've never been to a Pats game if you see my point their parents can't drop 2 grand to take them and their siblings to a game.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I quit smoking 4 months after the 2011 cup.

Between the Cup run, watching Chernobyl on HBO and this gif I could really use a smoke.

I've been battling quitting smoke since November. It's been on and off. The good news, I've only smoked 4 packs since Jan. 3rd, and 3 of the 4 was on the same weekend. But I've gotten into the habit of buying Captain Black cigar singles, usually one every couple days so that has to go next.

If I make it through this Cup final without picking up a pack of smokes it will be a miracle.

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
I've been battling quitting smoke since November. It's been on and off. The good news, I've only smoked 4 packs since Jan. 3rd, and 3 of the 4 was on the same weekend. But I've gotten into the habit of buying Captain Black cigar singles, usually one every couple days so that has to go next.

If I make it through this Cup final without picking up a pack of smokes it will be a miracle.

Keep trying, cigars are gross cause you're probably inhaling them.

Maybe make the cup victory your last if it happens... I'd go out with a decent smoke though lol

My last Marlboro Red 9/9/11, that pack was only $8.50, same pack is $11.29 now.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

good luck you two! I'm still not sure how I did it cold turkey mid-divorce, but I did. After numerous previously failed attempts. All I can come up with is, when you're really ready to quit, you will and it will be easier mentally than any other time you've tried before.

My last cigarette was 5pm, 12/31/17 and still going.

Y'all got this!!!!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Keep trying, cigars are gross cause you're probably inhaling them.

Maybe make the cup victory your last if it happens... I'd go out with a decent smoke though lol

My last Marlboro Red 9/9/11, that pack was only $8.50, same pack is $11.29 now.

I am, and they are.

That's sounds like a great way to go out. It'll be an Export A Light (Gold pack) for my final cig. The cost of smokes is crazy now.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Smoked for 25 years, quit 12 years ago using Chantix and never went back. Never could have done it without the drug, I highly recommend it.

Reactions: BruinDust

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Smoked for 25 years, quit 12 years ago using Chantix and never went back. Never could have done it without the drug, I highly recommend it.
quit about 7 years ago myself but did so on my own after a disasterous experience with Champix, took it and experienced some way too funky dreams/nightmares and incredible stomach pains so pushed it aside and continued to smoke.

Then I had a horrible flu a year or so after that and still stood out on my deck driving a cig into my guts and said to myself "this is crazy", it just so happened that the weather was horrible that day and it was the last smoke in the pack so I didn`t smoke another for the entire day, haven`t had one since then

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
quit about 7 years ago myself but did so on my own after a disasterous experience with Champix, took it and experienced some way too funky dreams/nightmares and incredible stomach pains so pushed it aside and continued to smoke.

Then I had a horrible flu a year or so after that and still stood out on my deck driving a cig into my guts and said to myself "this is crazy", it just so happened that the weather was horrible that day and it was the last smoke in the pack so I didn`t smoke another for the entire day, haven`t had one since then

Only had funky dreams for 3 days, then they went away. Same dream each time, a woman with a strawberry patch tattoo that became an actual strawberry patch on the ground. Crazy, but it was only 3 days.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Not to get too far off-topic but I did the Champix about a decade ago, it was effective. But I also didn't have a good experience with the drug, just gave me a weird feeling overall when taking it and also made it hard to sleep. After the first script was gone I didn't buy any more even though it recommended taking them for another 6-8 weeks.

I did do the laser therapy before and that to me is the best way I've tried. It's not invasive, it's based on acupuncture but using lasers instead of needles. It just takes the cravings away, and you have a thought about smoking and then its gone. Some will say it's just placebo effect but I've done cold turkey a bunch of times and I seen a noticeable difference. I lasted 4 months without a single smoke but the willpower wasn't there at the time like it is now. Two of my friends did the laser therapy the same time I did and haven't smoked since and that was almost 5 years ago. This time was sort of a modified cold turkey and it's gone well considering just 4 packs in over 5 months and 3 of them were smoked partying at a hotel for 3 days. Like @ODAAT I got a bad flu just before new year's this year and it gave me incentive to drop the smokes on Jan. 3rd as I couldn't enjoy it anyways.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It's an old comment when most supporters were Bostonians and immediate suburbs largely made up of blue collar folks. Now the appeal due to Orr,simple maturation and evolution of the region and it's population and growth through TV makes the comment obsolete.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not to get too far off-topic but I did the Champix about a decade ago, it was effective. But I also didn't have a good experience with the drug, just gave me a weird feeling overall when taking it and also made it hard to sleep. After the first script was gone I didn't buy any more even though it recommended taking them for another 6-8 weeks.

I did do the laser therapy before and that to me is the best way I've tried. It's not invasive, it's based on acupuncture but using lasers instead of needles. It just takes the cravings away, and you have a thought about smoking and then its gone. Some will say it's just placebo effect but I've done cold turkey a bunch of times and I seen a noticeable difference. I lasted 4 months without a single smoke but the willpower wasn't there at the time like it is now. Two of my friends did the laser therapy the same time I did and haven't smoked since and that was almost 5 years ago. This time was sort of a modified cold turkey and it's gone well considering just 4 packs in over 5 months and 3 of them were smoked partying at a hotel for 3 days. Like @ODAAT I got a bad flu just before new year's this year and it gave me incentive to drop the smokes on Jan. 3rd as I couldn't enjoy it anyways.

so different for everyone but ultimately, just like me with alcohol, it`s all about being 100% ready and committed to stop and stay stopped. I used to set dates on the calendar as my "quit" dates, they`d come and go, I`d kick myself in the gut about it then continue smoking. Mrs Odaat still smokes ,about a pack every 2 days, sometimes 3 which still isn`t good but far less than I ever smoked, not going to lie, still love the smell of a cig being lit but man do I despise the smell of an old cig that`s been sitting in an ashtray.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
so different for everyone but ultimately, just like me with alcohol, it`s all about being 100% ready and committed to stop and stay stopped. I used to set dates on the calendar as my "quit" dates, they`d come and go, I`d kick myself in the gut about it then continue smoking. Mrs Odaat still smokes ,about a pack every 2 days, sometimes 3 which still isn`t good but far less than I ever smoked, not going to lie, still love the smell of a cig being lit but man do I despise the smell of an old cig that`s been sitting in an ashtray.

Totally agree.

I've only had 4 Captain Black cigars in the past 14 days so and my last pack cigarettes was smoked on May 12th and that was my first since March 16th so I'm almost at one pack in 3 months so I'm really hoping I got it beat this time around.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
I was a weird smoker, I would only smoke a smoke or 2 a day and sometimes none, but if I drank I would smoke 10-15. I promised myself I would quit when I was 40 and as above, I turned 40 last year and smoked until October until I got a cold and felt like garbage. October 4th 2018 was the last day I picked up a smoke and hopefully will never again. I really have no desire to smoke anymore but I bet if I had one I would be right back on the darts again.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was a weird smoker, I would only smoke a smoke or 2 a day and sometimes none, but if I drank I would smoke 10-15. I promised myself I would quit when I was 40 and as above, I turned 40 last year and smoked until October until I got a cold and felt like garbage. October 4th 2018 was the last day I picked up a smoke and hopefully will never again. I really have no desire to smoke anymore but I bet if I had one I would be right back on the darts again.

Many out there like you friend. My line when I was in a bar and someone asked for a cig exclaiming they only smoked when they drank was "well, you knew you were coming out drinking tonight so you shoulda grabbed a pack"....yeah I was that pr**k

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
good luck you two! I'm still not sure how I did it cold turkey mid-divorce, but I did. After numerous previously failed attempts. All I can come up with is, when you're really ready to quit, you will and it will be easier mentally than any other time you've tried before.

My last cigarette was 5pm, 12/31/17 and still going.

Y'all got this!!!!
You need to be decided and mentally ready. I did it with patches, was pretty much rolling 2 at the times, replacing the oldest with a new one only when in need. It took a month, then no more cravings.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

Champix is really nasty stuff. Bought it read the secondary effects and through it in the garbage.
In the end what matters is what ever works for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->