The Defensive Pairings

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
I haven't seen a lot of discussion regarding our defensive lineup for the upcoming season. Those who have played together in the past may no longer do so given the implementation of Johnston's new offensive system which favors those who excel at puck moving on the back end.

For the purpose of this thread, I'm going to assume that Määttä is healthy. Given this, my lineup is as follows.

Letang, Martin
Ehrhoff, Despres
Scuderi, Määttä
Bortuzzo

This lineup keeps our top two defensemen together for an offensive duo who can also play shutdown when needed, while having a puck mover on each pair. I think this may be one of the top pairs in the league. For our bottom four, we're keeping each inexperienced player with an experienced veteran. I also feel that Scuderi is going to play a lot better this year than last (if injuries haven't caught up with him), and he and Määttä may prove a better pairing, especially defensively, than Ehrhoff/Despres.

What are you pairings? How does each player adapt to the new system?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The same, except Bortuzzo is in instead of Scuderi. Despres and Maatta could end up swapping as well, but I really like Despres' size in the top 4.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Martin-Letang
Maatta-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bort
Scuds

best way when all healthy. Throw Despres up there until Maatta is 110%.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Martin-Letang
Despres/Scuds-Ehrhoff
Despres/Scuds-Bort
Domoulin(Harrington or Samuelsson)

To start the season.
Then when Maata and Pouliot are healthy, i dunno what it'll look like.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I can't decide if I'd rather have Despres and Bort together for an awesome bruising pair, or to split up the size. Either way, unless Harrington or Dumoulin forces the teams hand and takes a spot, I'd probably keep Despres and Bort together until Maatta gets back because a pairing of Scuds-Bort makes me cringe.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
We really need someone in the top 4 who can handle bigger players in front of the net. I think Despres is the best option for that.

Country Mac

Violent Gents Unite
Apr 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I'd have it as

Martin-Letang
Määttä-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

With Määttä and Despres alternating top 4 ice time so as to not overplay either of them and keep both fresh for the playoffs

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
My pairings would exclude Scuderi entirely.

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Ehrhoff
Despres - Bortuzzo
Dumoulin

No Quarter*

My pairings would exclude Scuderi entirely.

Martin - Letang
Maatta - Ehrhoff
Despres - Bortuzzo
Dumoulin

I like this but I'd prob have Ulfs kid as our 7th and Dumoulin at WBS

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
I know a lot of pens fans are desperate for wingers but, I think the team would be better keeping the current dman and letting them grow their value.

Letang-Maatta
Pouliot-Harrington
Depres-Bortuzzo

Sure there's lack of veteran players and likely won't happen but, that could potentially be a very good defense corps in a few years

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Maatta-Bortuzzo

is the most balanced I think. Every pairing has good puck movement and a bit of physicality.

I absolutely love the Despres-Bortuzzo pairing, but I think a Maatta-Ehrhoff pairing lacks grit.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Maatta-Bortuzzo

is the most balanced I think. Every pairing has good puck movement and a bit of physicality.

I absolutely love the Despres-Bortuzzo pairing, but I think a Maatta-Ehrhoff pairing lacks grit.

I'm with you. It seems like most people think Maatta is significantly better than Despres though.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Martin - Letang
Maatta/Despres - Ehrhoff
Maatta/Despres - Bortuzzo
Samuelsson

I'd want Maatta and Despres splitting time in the top 4 to manage their TOI. They'd both get top 4 experience but the workload would be reduced.

Scuderi went missing, it was very sad.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Healthy:

Martin-Letang
Maatta-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

Start of the Season:

Martin-Letang
Scuderi-Ehrhoff
Despres-Bortuzzo

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
When healthy I'd roll:
Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Maatta-Bortuzzo

To start the season:

Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Scuderi-Bortuzzo

It'd be so, so awesome to move Scuds and that bad contract

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
When healthy I'd roll:
Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Maatta-Bortuzzo

To start the season:

Martin-Letang
Despres-Ehrhoff
Scuderi-Bortuzzo

It'd be so, so awesome to move Scuds and that bad contract

I really do not want to see a Scuderi-Bortuzzo pairing this year. Especially not in a system that encourages the defense to skate and join the rush. Best case IMO is you pair Scuderi with Ehrhoff and hope that Scuderi rebounds and becomes a tradeable asset by the time that Maatta is ready to return.

I also really like Despres-Bortuzzo as a pairing for this year. I wouldn't be upset to see Despres-Ehrhoff and Maatta-Bortuzzo when Maatta returns either. Just really, really dislike Scuderi-Bortuzzo.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I really do not want to see a Scuderi-Bortuzzo pairing this year. Especially not in a system that encourages the defense to skate and join the rush. Best case IMO is you pair Scuderi with Ehrhoff and hope that Scuderi rebounds and becomes a tradeable asset by the time that Maatta is ready to return.

I also really like Despres-Bortuzzo as a pairing for this year. I wouldn't be upset to see Despres-Ehrhoff and Maatta-Bortuzzo when Maatta returns either. Just really, really dislike Scuderi-Bortuzzo.

I do too, but I dislike Scuderi in the top 4 even more.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA

Yeah I don't like the Scuds-Bort pairing either but I can deal with it for a month, or until Maatta is healthy I guess.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Exactly. I want Despres to be given that time to show what he can do in the top 4.

I think you could find ways of making sure that Scuderi and Bortuzzo see the least total icetime without playing them together necessarily. I'd much rather see that than potentially 12+ minutes a night at ES of defensemen unable to effectively support the forwards.

You'll get no argument from me about how Despres should be getting top-four icetime as long as Maatta is out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad