Line Combos: The defence without Emelin

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
Won't be Kaberle as he is in the same situation as Gomez. If we play him and he gets hurt, he counts against the cap next year and that is a disaster o not gonna happen. St.Denis was good last year so give him a shot. Diaz must be lose or they would have traded for another dman....I hope.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Markov-Gorges(I'd try this out... I think Emelin and Gorges are really similar. One is faster and the other one is stronger and more physical.) Speed would help Markov, IMO.

Tinordi-Subban for a few games. (If Suter can pull it out with Brodin... Why not P.K.?)

Drewi-BouBou

If the first pairing doesnt not work.

Gorges-Subban
Markov-Drewiski(Similar to Emelin again, just a bit worse and less physical and not as gifted offensively.)
Beaulieu-Bouillon

We need speed on our back end to cover for the old farts (L)

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 4m
Nathan Beaulieu could be call up today after Alexei Emelin injury. #canadiens #RDS

So looks like the management trust Drewiskey, they will likely bump him up one pairing and put Beaulieu on the #6 spot until Diaz returns (Considering they are the same type of Dman, more offensive orrientated)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 4m
Nathan Beaulieu could be call up today after Alexei Emelin injury. #canadiens #RDS

So looks like the management trust Drewiskey, they will likely bump him up one pairing and put Beaulieu on the #6 spot until Diaz returns (Considering they are the same type of Dman, more offensive orrientated)
Yup, I'd imagine;

Subban-Gorges
Markov-Drewiske
Bouillon-Beaulieu

I wonder if Weber will just go back to Switzerland next year. No way he re-ups with us not to get a chance.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Yup, I'd imagine;

Subban-Gorges
Markov-Drewiske
Bouillon-Beaulieu

I wonder if Weber will just go back to Switzerland next year. No way he re-ups with us not to get a chance.

Renaud was talking about the Habs pondering on sending him down to Hamilton with the "Fitness"(I don't remember the exact term) arguement for a couple of games, so he won't have to got through waivers

headliner

Feb 11, 2007
It's obvious that our D has taken a tremendous "hit" with the loss of Emelin. Our D provided the threat and promise of clean, hard-hitting, keep-your-head-up hockey for three-quarters of the game: Subban 24+ minutes, Emelin 20+ minutes.

Now, we're down to Subban....and, once again, it's a marshmallow world back there for most of the game.

Really going to notice it in the playoffs.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I don't doubt he will be a physical NHL d-man in time. The 2 videos That posted tonight of his hits are insane. But he wasn't during the call-up, that's a fact.

You have to be careful with the call-ups until the AHL season ends on the 21st. We already used 1 of the 4 post-deadline on Dumont and he hasn't played.

Didn't they remove the limit in the new CBA?

Last edited:

headliner

Feb 11, 2007
we need some hits back there, I would call up Tinordi

Tinordi-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Bouillon-Drewiske

From reports I've read, Tinordi has been working on that aspect of his game...and has been tougher and meaner since he was sent down.

But is it enough to bolster us for a decent playoff run? At least one in which we keep opposing forwards honest?

Too much to expect/demand, if we're realistic. But I'm betting he gets called up for that reason.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
we need some hits back there, I would call up Tinordi

Tinordi-Subban

Markov-Gorges
Bouillon-Drewiske

When I see this pairing, I think of the goal where Crosby toyed with Tinordi. If Tinordi plays with Subban, he will have to play against the opposition's Alfredsson, Nash or Tavares. As much as the Habs dominate possession while Subban is on the ice, Tinordi will still have to deal with one on one situations against elite forwards. I don't think it's fair to put the kid in that position yet. I'd put him with Drewiske or Cube, and be hyper vigilant about putting the pair on the ice in relatively safe situations.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Defense hasn't played bad tonight. Holtby is making the big saves(and getting post help) and Price isn't.

14 shots in 40 mnutes is not exactly sucky defense.

Caps have about four times that in missed shots and the Habs have blocked that many shots as well. Caps protect Holtby well, that's the big difference. If a rebound goes off it's always a cap stick on it first in both zones. We're playing with negative urgency.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
Defense hasn't played bad tonight. Holtby is making the big saves(and getting post help) and Price isn't.

14 shots in 40 mnutes is not exactly sucky defense.

Quality of shots allowed is way too high. Can't let OV or any decent player snipe it from the slot.

Also, Holtby has nothing to do with our defense. Even if it was 5-4 Habs, D isn't playing good enough.

And yes, Price hasn't been exactly stellar.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Caps have about four times that in missed shots and the Habs have blocked that many shots as well. Caps protect Holtby well, that's the big difference. If a rebound goes off it's always a cap stick on it first in both zones. We're playing with negative urgency.

The Caps haven't protected that well, 2 have gone off the posts that could have been goals and we have had guys alone in front of him on 3-4 occasions, Plekanec had nobody within 15 feet of him but Holtby poke checked him. One scramble he stopped 3 shots back to back.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
You're playing against the Habs. This is the mindset... There's no Emelin. You don't think twice about criss-crossing in the high slot or bowling down the wing... There's no price to pay. It's a joke.

FeelsLike93

Feb 25, 2009
Please tell me this. Why can't we call up BOTH Pateryn and Tinordi and sit two guys? This team needs toughness and the two rookies couldn't possibly do worse than the garbage defense were icing lately. You can't play with a small soft defense in the playoffs because you won't go very far

Markov-Diaz
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Pateryn

I understand goaltending is a issue too partly but imo the goaltending won't fix itself unless the defense does first

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Please tell me this. Why can't we call up BOTH Pateryn and Tinordi and sit two guys? This team needs toughness and the two rookies couldn't possibly do worse than the garbage defense were icing lately. You can't play with a small soft defense in the playoffs because you won't go very far

Markov-Diaz
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Pateryn

I understand goaltending is a issue too partly but imo the goaltending won't fix itself unless the defense does first

Blaming the defense when your goalie has a sub .800 save % is as moronic as it gets. The Caps will be lucky to hit 25 shots tonight yet the habs defense is garbage...brilliant! :facepalm:

FeelsLike93

Feb 25, 2009
Blaming the defense when your goalie has a sub .800 save % is as moronic as it gets. The Caps will be lucky to hit 25 shots tonight yet the habs defense is garbage...brilliant! :facepalm:

Hockey's not all about goaltending there's intangibles and the small things involved. When ur defenseman gets outmuscled in the corner, loses the battle then the puck ends up on the opposing players stick infront of the net and they score how is that a goaltending problem? By the way that happened twice tonight. Some people need to get there heads out of their ***** that think hockey is all about goaltending.

Do you know why Price looked good early in the season? Cause our defense was stingy it won puck battles and the puck came out of our own end quicker. Now it's staying longer because of turnovers and teams getting 2nd and 3rd scoring chances.

axman88

Apr 5, 2007
I think it's time to call up Tinordi and tell him to show his mean style of the game.....they need a big presence on the back-end!

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hockey's not all about goaltending there's intangibles and the small things involved. When ur defenseman gets outmuscled in the corner, loses the battle then the puck ends up on the opposing players stick infront of the net and they score how is that a goaltending problem? By the way that happened twice tonight. Some people need to get there heads out of their ***** that think hockey is all about goaltending.

Do you know why Price looked good early in the season? Cause our defense was stingy it won puck battles and the puck came out of our own end quicker. Now it's staying longer because of turnovers and teams getting 2nd and 3rd scoring chances.

********!

Price looked good early because pucks were not going through him, he wasn't giving up goals like the two Ovechkin ones. 1st one a weak wrister from a bad angle, 2nd one from further out.

Which of the goals scored tonight was a 2nd or 3rd chance? I can't recall any of the goals being on rebounds, I think they were all 1st shots on that particular sequence.

There are a pile of NHL teams with worst defenses than ours and their goalies don't have .800 save percentages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad