The decision to keep the expiring contracts - is it going to backfire

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
a 105pt team doesnt sell at the deadline. end of story

Agreed.

However, the team should have looked at their roster during the off-season and perhaps make a futures move considering how much winger depth they had.

People keep saying they 'tried' to trade JVR and there was no takers which is absolutely bullcrap. If they really tried to trade him he would have been traded.

Either way, I'm fine with the risk that was taken and we still have 3 top 90 picks. We could be the Flames or the Sens right now...

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Agreed.

However, the team should have looked at their roster during the off-season and perhaps make a futures move considering how much winger depth they had.

People keep saying they 'tried' to trade JVR and there was no takers which is absolutely bullcrap. If they really tried to trade him he would have been traded.

Either way, I'm fine with the risk that was taken and we still have 3 top 90 picks. We could be the Flames or the Sens right now...

Yeah I would have traded JVR for sure and I would have done it a long time ago. They went in another direction, I think it was a mistake but I can understand the arguments for doing what they did, it can be argued both ways and I've made my peace with it.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
While I agree that its ridiculous to contemplate a 105 point team selling its UFAs, there's no hindsight here - all informed fans knew the Leafs werent winning the cup this year & werent close to a cup.
ROFL. All the people who shared your opinion are informed I suppose? That is a special kind of arrogance.

Cannot take psychic predications and decisions based on them seriously.

What you mean is all pessimistic fans, especially Play off Tank nation, and fans obsessed with draft picks over trying to win.

Reactions: Loosie

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
While I agree that its ridiculous to contemplate a 105 point team selling its UFAs, there's no hindsight here - all informed fans knew the Leafs werent winning the cup this year & werent close to a cup.

"Knew"

Will you informed fans let me know when we WILL win the cup so I don't have to watch until then? Since that's something you can know apparently...

Reactions: RedRenegade

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Can you list those who saw this as a Cup winning Team? I can't think of anyone.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Fair enough but a lot of us were not confident about the playoff success - and I respect your views and would like to keep it professional

With all due respect, starting a thread that basically says "I was right and we should have traded our UFA's" is going to result in some responses you may not like all that much..

And for the rest of you posting with the benefit of hindsight:

Think about what you would be posting if we traded JVR, Bozak, and Komarov at the deadline and results of the last 2 games were exactly the same.

I have a pretty good guess what it would look like. :laugh:

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If we get tossed in the 1st round it would set the franchise back by the zero return on pending UFAs and included in that is a 2nd for Plekanec also.

However if Leafs are able to sign Tavares (yah right) or other UFA to replace as UFA then the damage can be minimized to an extent not in lost picks and prospects but live bodies anyways.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
JVR @ $4.25 mil + Bozak @ $ 4.2 mil + Komarov @ $3.0 mil = $11.45 ......... OUT

Tavares @ $10 mil + Johnsson @ $750k + Grundstrom @ $925k = $11.675 ..... IN

No problem keeping UFAs if this is the plan for next year !!!.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Tough call to make. I could imagine the outcry had JVR been moved for picks. Surprised Bozak wasn't moved though. Oh well. Hometown discount is still on the table.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If Mgmt had any reservations about resigning him or not, how he plays in these next 2 games, and what's left in this series will, if nothing else, make things clearer.

If we make a bit of a comeback in this series and if he really steps up, will mgmt have second thoughts about resigning?

Ah, my guess is NOT. My guess is mgmt will be moving on from JVR and they decided that quite a while ago. I think he'll want way way more than they would be willing to pay.

Even if he really steps up his game, he's not going to become the 200 foot kind of players that simply HAVE to be part of the Leafs future team defensive scheme, there HAS to include more 200 foot players. We've really topped up the system with skill and speed and lots of the youth look like they have what it takes to become 200 foot players, but, we still have to see - not all players (even if they have all the tools) DO become 200 foot players.

Would of been nice if they could of made a deal last summer - it wasn't to be. I think in the big picture, we're still on the right track and not getting something for the asset (JVR) isn't going to spell the end or doomsday or anything. There is some loss - his PP role and his in close scoring skill for sure, but, there's definitely some addition by subtraction because of his lack of defensive skill (putting it politely!) He's EXACTLY the kind of player that the Bostons of the NHL love to play against.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
ROFL. All the people who shared your opinion are informed I suppose? That is a special kind of arrogance.

Cannot take psychic predications and decisions based on them seriously.

What you mean is all pessimistic fans, especially Play off Tank nation, and fans obsessed with draft picks over trying to win.

If you thought the Leafs were contenders, i dont know what to tell ya...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Can we stop with this and step into the real world. The leafs weren't going to trade away veteran players in the midst of a franchise best season. Pull players out of that locker room and make disruptions.

That's for selling teams. The Leafs were not sellers this year. So we made the playoffs, lost our first two games, and the second guessing here is thick.

We can barely fit our talented youngsters into the starting lineup. Our farm system is one of the top in the NHL. Our core is all under 25. This is nonsense.

This and can we stop bringing up the 2nd we paid for Pleks and move forward ? It wasn't 2 firsts (Seguin and Hamilton) and a second (Knight) for Kessel. Knight BTW has never made it to my knowledge.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Can you list those who saw this as a Cup winning Team? I can't think of anyone.

Well, to name a few that had the Leafs as contenders, going deep in the playoffs:

@acrobaticgoalie
@Mike Bobcat
@YEKCOHADANAC
@Bologna 1
@HamiltonNHL
@PuckMagi
@Stephen
@zeke
@dimi78
@LeafsMonster
@Pi
@SportsJunkie
@nobody
@FlareKnight
@613Leafer
@BayStreetBully
@ToneDog
@LEAFANFORLIFE23
@Territory
@FlareKnight

...just to name a few. Pretty easily could find a bunch of others, but you get the idea. There's many that expected/believed this team good enough to go deep.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
thought the leafs would match up well with boston (saw the series as a 7-game toss up) and the riley nash injury would hurt them more than it has. and my thought was the winner of this series represents the east in the finals.....

Reactions: Tak7

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Well, to name a few that had the Leafs as contenders, going deep in the playoffs:

@acrobaticgoalie
@Mike Bobcat
@YEKCOHADANAC
@Bologna 1
@HamiltonNHL
@PuckMagi
@Stephen
@zeke
@dimi78
@LeafsMonster
@Pi
@SportsJunkie
@nobody
@FlareKnight
@613Leafer
@BayStreetBully
@ToneDog
@LEAFANFORLIFE23
@Territory
@FlareKnight

...just to name a few. Pretty easily could find a bunch of others, but you get the idea. There's many that expected/believed this team good enough to go deep.

They're a 105 point team, 7th in the league. Of course they are good enough to go deep. Doesn't mean they will.

This whole thing is stupid. Noone knows the future. I can't believe I have to make that point.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

@acrobaticgoalie
@Mike Bobcat
@YEKCOHADANAC
@Bologna 1
@HamiltonNHL
@PuckMagi
@Stephen
@zeke
@dimi78
@LeafsMonster
@Pi
@SportsJunkie
@nobody
@FlareKnight
@613Leafer
@BayStreetBully
@ToneDog
@LEAFANFORLIFE23
@Territory
@FlareKnight

Have you given up on the team already?

They could still go deep. I've seen teams come back from 2-0. This series is all about mental headspace right now, and I think a victory would go a long way to reviving the series. As bad as the scoreboard looks, I didn't think we were outplayed in game 2, or at least not to the extent being portrayed. Our goaltending has been awful, and our puck luck has been abysmal.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Have you given up on the team already?

They could still go deep. I've seen teams come back from 2-0. This series is all about mental headspace right now, and I think a victory would go a long way to reviving the series. As bad as the scoreboard looks, I didn't think we were outplayed in game 2, or at least not to the extent being portrayed. Our goaltending has been awful, and our puck luck has been abysmal.

I've been pretty firm in my belief, since about late January, that this team wasn't making it out of the first round.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
The thread could have waited until the series is over.Fairweather fans beating their chests when we still haven't even been knocked out of the playoffs.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It would be awesome to trade at the deadline in years we don't win a Cup and buy in years we do. But I have news for some people. There is no guarantee you win the Cup. There will be other years we keep our pending UFA's and get bounced in the first round (or otherwise have playoff failure). Asset management is trading UFA's. It's getting the most value out of a player. Sometimes it doesn't work out. Sometimes it does.
This year we have a much better chance of beating Boston/going on a run with JVR than with a 27th OA pick.

Did not see Caps sell Carlson at the TDL and they are down 2-0 and going to Columbus for games 3 and 4. Wonder if their fans are second guessing management.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agreed.

We will be in the same predicament this summer with Gards. Trade him at the draft or summer or allow him to walk July 1, 2019.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
going deep in the playoffs
are you kidding ?

I was heavily in favour of trading assets at the deadline.
I think I was the last person not interested in a cup run this year.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Did not see Caps sell Carlson at the TDL and they are down 2-0 and going to Columbus for games 3 and 4. Wonder if their fans are second guessing management.
They should've known they weren't guaranteed a Cup. Why wouldn't they trade him? Let him walk for nothing. Poor asset management.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad