The decision to keep the expiring contracts - is it going to backfire

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
I fail to see the logic in the metaphor. In fact, I get the gambling, "mystery box", vibe from people pining over a hypothetical package highlighted by a 2nd round pick. Or the possibility of the 2nd round pick being packaged for a higher pick. Its a whole lot of intangible, contrived asset imagination vs. the tangible player's contribution.

If JVR re-signs (heaven forbid, imo), does the viewpoint of said fan change? Or are they more upset, stating "see, we could have gotten an asset or two for him, and still re-signed him." At what point does the speculation end?

Most would agree JVR was worth at least a late 1st, which is most likely what the Leafs would’ve gotten from a contender. It is a bit of a mystery box since we don’t exactly know what kinds of picks the Leafs missed out on for JVR/Bozak/Komarov. But judging by similar player valuations and trades done in the recent past gives us a fairly good idea.

I agree that re-signing JVR would be an even worse case scenario, so yes, the perspective changes. If for example Lou pulls a sign-and-trade off on JVR (unlikely, I know), I think he would deserve a huge amount of credit for basically having his cake (UFA laden playoff run) and eating it too (recouping assets).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Most would agree JVR was worth at least a late 1st, which is most likely what the Leafs would’ve gotten from a contender. It is a bit of a mystery box since we don’t exactly know what kinds of picks the Leafs missed out on for JVR/Bozak/Komarov. But judging by similar player valuations and trades done in the recent past gives us a fairly good idea.

I agree that re-signing JVR would be an even worse case scenario, so yes, the perspective changes. If for example Lou pulls a sign-and-trade off on JVR (unlikely, I know), I think he would deserve a huge amount of credit for basically having his cake (UFA laden playoff run) and eating it too (recouping assets).
Once Nash went to Boston, Kane went to San Jose who was giving up the late 1st for JVR?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Bye bye JVR. I never wanted him traded.
Remember how Phil Kessel was so one-dimensional in Toronto(He really wasn't). That's NOTHING compared to JVR. He is so painfully one-dimensional you can't justify 8 years.
What are the statistical chances JVR scores 36 again? He's had 2 30 goal seasons. He's 29 and very, very slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad