The Dean Lombardi Kings and The Riddle of Size

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Kings have been tough and big since I’ve been a fan. They only were soft for a few years when Jeff Cowan or Andy Murray’s power play were the enforcers.

The Kings have always had a McSorley, Grimson, Belanger, Flinn, Brennan, Thornton, Ivanans, Westgarth and then Clifford/Nolan. Hell, Lombardi even added Carcillo.

The battles against the Canucks, Flames and Ducks over the years were always entertaining (at least when I started watching from 1992 thru a few years ago). The Kings had to be big and tough to compete and not get run out of the building. The issue is now that the league is changing - Vancouver is pretty soft now. Calgary is still tough and Tkachuk is a thorn in DD’s side. The Ducks have gone from size to younger and smaller as well. But I think as long as Blake is around, the Kings will cling size, which I love.

Kings were big and skilled at both forward and defense at the right time with amazing goaltending.

One of the dumbist things ever uttered by any coach. It was open season on our player getting run. Our guys got killed for a month straight while the pp went 1-55.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I don't think it would have been interesting at all, look what happened to Weal.

One turnover and out.

I thought it was because he made an offensive play to try and score, instead of dumping the puck in and chasing it down. I know he got benched and didn't see a anther shift for 10 games.

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The Kings were definitely a team built on size before Sutter. Aside from the usual suspects, the 2011 playoff roster included the recently acquired Penner, Handzus, Smyth, Ponikarovsky, Simmonds, Johnson, and Westgarth. The 2010 roster included Modin, Frolov, Halpern, Ivanans, and O’Donnell. In fact, I remember after acquiring Penner, someone on this board stating, “the Kings are massive”.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I wonder if Dallas is the team with the most size in the playoffs. If they aren't, they must be near the top.

EDIT: Yup, I thought so. Dallas' average height a little over 6-2, and the second heaviest team with an average of 205 lbs. Who is bigger? Another team having some success in the the playoffs, the New York Islanders at right around 6-1, and 209 lbs.

Imaging that, teams built to be sausage grinders for their playoff opponents. Who'da thunk it could work.

Oh, and Vegas is up there as well at around 6-2 and 201 lbs.

NHL ‘Tale Of The Tape’: Where Do The Washington Capitals Rank In Age, Height And Weight For The 2019-2020 Season

Uh, Byfield, Byfield, and Byfield.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I wonder if Dallas is the team with the most size in the playoffs. If they aren't, they must be near the top.

EDIT: Yup, I thought so. Dallas' average height a little over 6-2, and the second heaviest team with an average of 205 lbs. Who is bigger? Another team having some success in the the playoffs, the New York Islanders at right around 6-1, and 209 lbs.

Imaging that, teams built to be sausage grinders for their playoff opponents. Who'da thunk it could work.

Oh, and Vegas is up there as well at around 6-2 and 201 lbs.

NHL ‘Tale Of The Tape’: Where Do The Washington Capitals Rank In Age, Height And Weight For The 2019-2020 Season
That is surprising

As surprising as the Dallas/Colorado series so far

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad