The Day Patrick Roy was traded...

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
How did you find out ?

I was on the bus going to school and the STM bus driver was listening to the radio. As i was about to get off, i heard the news of the trade...

I said

'' Sorry sir, can you please tell what the trade is ''

He replied '' Thibault, Kovalenko, Rucinsky for Roy annnnddddd Mike Keane ''

I was like nahhhhh it must be a joke

It was such a bad trade to begin with, Habs didn't need any of these players but adding Mike Keane was the icing on the cake

What's your story ?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
everybody was in shock...it sucked because it was Roy but i was too young to know how brutal the return actually was

I survived the Patrick Roy trade 1995

It also reminds me of this hockey card for some reason

s-l300.jpg

and this

$_35.JPG

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Thibault was the hottest goaltendng prospect at the time so it wasn't as awful as some might make it seem. I was far more shocked at giving up Leclair and Desjardins for Recchi and trading McDonagh and Higgins for Gomez who actually should have had negative value at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I did not like the Roy trade but the other two I mentioned were absolutely asinine.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
It's so strange to think about news breaking on the radio or in the newspaper in the morning.

I remember being on my school bus and seeing an article talking about this guy named Roy (I said it like the first name not "Wah") giving the fans the bird as he walked off the ice. I was too young to fully realize how huge of a trade this was.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Thibault was the hottest goaltendng prospect at the time so it wasn't as awful as some might make it seem. I was far more shocked at giving up Leclair and Desjardins for Recchi and trading McDonagh and Higgins for Gomez who actually should have had negative value at the time.

Don't get me wrong, I did not like the Roy trade but the other two I mentioned were absolutely asinine.

I was only a kid during the recchi trade, but I think he was the most proven commodity out of that trade.

Then, desjardins went from being a decent nhl d-man in montreal to a really good d-man in Philly who played for Canada in the Olympics and the world cup.

Leclair went from a promising power forward to one of the greatest power forwards of his time.

The only thing saving it from being an outright disaster like the gomez trade was that recchi was a pretty decent player that any team would like to have on their side, but the price ended up being way too steep.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
everybody was in shock...it sucked because it was Roy but i was too young to know how brutal the return actually was

I survived the Patrick Roy trade 1995

It also reminds me of this hockey card for some reason

s-l300.jpg

and this

$_35.JPG

YES! I had the same Roy poster. The Wall!

I was still young enough that I wasn't upset, I have never witnessed this team be good. Like contender good.

I have never been so confident as a fan from when Bergevin was hired. I thought man this guy is making great changes providing he does what he says he will do. The whole 'no excuses' mantra.

What is the excuse of not doing his job for 4 years? What is the excuse of being stuck with a coach who overplays guys like Weise and Desharnais at the expense of guys like Galchenyuk?

I don't know if I can survive a Subban trade. The only thing that will keep me around is the fact that Price is the best player in the game today.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
A superstar traded , a terrible coach retained. Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Thibault was the hottest goaltendng prospect at the time so it wasn't as awful as some might make it seem.

Goaltending prospects are always high risk no matter how promising they may seem. The fact that we did not got Sakic or Forsberg or other true core player from another team solidifies how crap Houle really was. I'm not even talking about his inability to properly manage the whole ego situation between Tremblay and Roy.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
I was only a kid during the recchi trade, but I think he was the most proven commodity out of that trade.

Then, desjardins went from being a decent nhl d-man in montreal to a really good d-man in Philly who played for Canada in the Olympics and the world cup.

Leclair went from a promising power forward to one of the greatest power forwards of his time.

The only thing saving it from being an outright disaster like the gomez trade was that recchi was a pretty decent player that any team would like to have on their side, but the price ended up being way too steep.

Yes, at the time of the trade, most Habs fan I knew back then were very happy with the move. Like you said, both LeClair and Desjardins improved big time in Philly, and Recchi was a 26 years old offensive dynamo who just had an average of 110 points per season the last 4 years prior to the trade.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

The Roy trade was the worst both in hindsight and at the time of the trades.

The one you're completely off is the Gomez trade. McDonagh had a bad season that year, I remember some people complaining of Timmins that season and saying it was another wasted first round pick. And Gomez's value wasn't what you said. Aside from the 08-09 season, his production was on-par to what he had done before and his value was high, as out of all the NHL players at the time, Gomez's ppg in the playoffs was top 5 in the whole league, as he had 50 points in his last 50 playoff games prior to getting traded. The Gomez trade value was bad in hindsight only, and at the time it was actually hated because he was a small forward when people were wishing for a big centerman and some still believed in McD, rightly so, still, McD's value wasn't Subban's value. We could've gotten a lot more if we traded Subban at the time. That's another thing people forget. We had Subban that year who played tremendously in the WJC, and whose value was probably amongst the highest of all blue chip prospects at the time, which was far from being the case with McD.

For Desjardins-Leclair, people say Desjardins was average before getting traded, which I disagree. Yes Reechi had the most value out of that trade, still losing our #1D was what opened the door to Roy leaving. Desjardins was already a #1D back then and that hurt us more than anything. Leclair becoming what he did just added insult to injury, and most people talk about Leclair when they mention that trade, but at the time I was most perplexed about losing Desjardins, especially with how good he was in the 93 playoffs. People say Roy this and Roy that when they talk of the last cup, but there wouldn't be a cup if Desjardins wasn't there.

The Roy trade was the worst because there wasn't a bonafide star player coming back. No matter Thibault's potential, he hadn't shown anything that permitted anyone to believe he would become at least a top 10 goalie in the league.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yes, at the time of the trade, most Habs fan I knew back then were very happy with the move. Like you said, both LeClair and Desjardins improved big time in Philly, and Recchi was a 26 years old offensive dynamo who just had an average of 110 points per season the last 4 years prior to the trade.

Yet, aside from the year Lemieux was out because of Hodgkins disease, Reechi was playing with Super Mario... Although he did have some good seasons in Philly, but 110 points back then was like 70 points today.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Recchi was a good player but I wouldn't have traded Desjardins straight up for him let alone throw in a young stud like Leclair. Desjardins was already a top pairing d-man and a more valuable player than Recchi. I wouldn't have traded Leclair for Recchi either.....

Shaby23

Mar 30, 2012
Quebec
I was 5yrs when he was traded. I don't remember exactly how i found it. I do remember though that i told a girl in the bus going to kindergarten he she had no clue on who he was. I was so devastated that i was no longer rooting for the Habs. I pretty much was a Avs fans until the run in the Playoffs with Theodore.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
The day Patrick Roy was traded was the day management had to sit down and make sure something like that didn't happen again, and if the situation did arise, have a better solution on how to handle it.

DJyellow

Sponsor
May 9, 2002
Laval
Everyone knew he'd be traded after the Detroit game... That's all everyone was talking about in the days leading to the trade... The return was underwhelming... I was somewhat excited getting Thibault back

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
While the roy trade will go down as arguably the worst that houle made, he then flipped thibault to chicago in arguably his best trade.

Manson, Brown and thibault to chicago for Hackett, Nasreddine, Weinrich and a 4th round pick.

I guess this goes under the category of "even a broken clock is right twice"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2