News Article: The Day Has Arrived (Matt Cullen retires)

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Props. Not sure why he got more love than Kunitz in those back to back runs who was equally as effective at an old age, but gotta love him as he was a class act.

Money? Term? :sarcasm:

He was gifted opportunity for a couple years.

But I agree, Kunitz was clutch in the 2017 playoffs front to back. Especially in the big games.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Not ashamed to say that this made tears come out my eyes. The amount of respect Cullen deserves is enormous. We are lucky to have had him here.

I know he didn't have the statistical impact or longevity with us as others, but he has the aura and respect of someone that would be on the Pens ring of honor
He should be in the pens ring of honor, he's earned it. What a player he was. It's a shame it's came to an end but it's clear age has finally caught up to him. I'll remember him fondly.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
There will be worse players than Cullen who suit up for a full season next year on multiple teams 4th lines.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Cullen was one of my favorite Pens during the back to back runs. He represented everything that the Bylsma era 4th line regulars were not; his ability to provide offense and play reaponsibly at the same time was a big reason the Pens had 4 legit scoring lines and were so tough to contend with during that time period. He was a great player with an outstanding and unique career.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Cullen had played in all situations for so long in his career that I think he just knew the ice when he got here. Incredible understanding of what was going on around him and how to maximize his skillset to fill a certain role.

Enjoyed watching him, hope he stays on in a off-ice role.

His charity is really cool too.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It sounds like he wants to spend some time in Minny. I bet he'd love to coach his kids like his dad did. Maybe we can get him as a part time scout for the area.

Reactions: StaalForOne
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
It sounds like he wants to spend some time in Minny. I bet he'd love to coach his kids like his dad did. Maybe we can get him as a part time scout for the area.

Yea, I was hoping the organization would offer him a gig, but I'm sure Minny well get the first crack at that. If they don't have anything, and Cullen wants something here he'd be a good one to keep around.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I can deffo see him doing high school coaching and part time scouting based on what he sees there. Maybe come and do some guest development work at camps.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
From Hags last week.

1500+ games ✅ 3 Cups ✅ Great player ✅ Great friend ✅ Congrats on a great career Cully!!

D_MzZgCXYAEQh5z

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Props. Not sure why he got more love than Kunitz in those back to back runs who was equally as effective at an old age, but gotta love him as he was a class act.

You know exactly why and it had to do with the Koon being stapled to Sid's ass past his prime.

Unless you mean props by the media in which case the easy answer to that is Cullen is a lot more personable and outgoing than the shy and reserved Kunitz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad