News Article: The Day Has Arrived (Matt Cullen retires)

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Great person, good player, played well for us and helped us win Cups...appreciated him here, yet I’m happy he’s retiring instead of signing another one-year contract...

Good luck Matt! Thanks!

Reactions: Hamurai

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Knew it was coming and the right time but I still had a tear watching that. Great career, great player, great human. You never hear any bad words about Cullen and that’s something for a guy who has been around as long and played with so many (been on 8 different teams). The guys in Pittsburgh absolutely loved him.

He still has a long career in hockey if he wants it. He has the brains and the personality to stick around. Hopefully it’s with the Pens :)

giphy.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Knew it was coming and the right time but I still had a tear watching that. Great career, great player, great human. You never hear any bad words about Cullen and that’s something for a guy who has been around as long and played with so many (been on 8 different teams). The guys in Pittsburgh absolutely loved him.

He still has a long career in hockey if he wants it. He has the brains and the personality to stick around. Hopefully it’s with the Pens :)

giphy.gif

Hopefully he pushes Recchi out of the way...

Reactions: CoyoteSkyDiver

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Little fact about Cullen: he retires as the leading point scorer of 1996 draft class.

No offence to Cullen because he had a great career but that was one awful draft class.

Many people probably think he should have retired after the 2nd straight cup but he was still a good NHLer and hey, he got an extra couple of million and a nice side by side out of it. It was nice seeing a guy hanging on past 40 that wasn't embarrassing himself. Plus he can still skate. I think it was his first year with the Pens he got the puck short handed and had a chance at a breakaway vs. the Sens. Karlsson was the last man back and I remember thinking "Too bad Cullen isn't a little younger or he'd have a clear break, Karlsson is going to catch him for sure now" yet Cullen turned on the jets and scored a shorty.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I advocated for Cullen immediately after Staal left...just wished he was with the Pens much longer than these few seasons.

Tremendous career and he's leaving at the right time. There is NOTHING bad you can say about him as a player or human

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As one of the guys that was originally happy he signed with us the first time around while it took a lot of people a while to come around to him, I'm actually sad it's finally official. I really hope he sticks around in some scouting or player development role.

I'm not calling a dude that's around my age, Dad. But thanks for everything, Matt Cullen.

Reactions: Freeptop

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Such a beauty of a player.

Exemplified the shut up and play attitude that brought this team back to backs.

His shorthanded goal in game 2 vs Washington in 2017 with the blocked shot then outmuscling Shattenkirk and flying by him for the breakaway was amazing.

Enjoy the family time, Cully. You’ve definitely earned it.

Reactions: BillPrep

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Has to be one of the best/most consistent careers of a bottom 6 player.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Who is cutting onions in here????

In all seriousness, Dad seems like a terrific human being. He was huge in the 2 cup runs. Glad he's retiring as a Penguin. Might have to pick up his jersey.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Wonder if he would have any interest in staying with the organisation in some role? Regional Scout or doing some work on the Youth Development during camps etc.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Some people will be happy about this, like Cullen was the problem last year, or that he was preventing some unicorn from playing with the nhl club, but it’s a sad day for the team. He can probably be replaced on ice, but he’ll be leaning a void off it.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
Rutherford's best free agent signing so far.

Didn't think he'd be much here in 2015, he had a great two years here. Last year was decent for a player his age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad