News Article: The Day Has Arrived (Matt Cullen retires)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably the right time but still sad. Even in 10 minutes a night, it was just inspirational to see the way he made the absolute most of what he was given.

Thanks for everything Cully.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
C'mon, don't name threads like this...you had me hopeful JJ was dealt.

Thanks for everything, Dad, your status as folk hero has been minted. The time had also come...but going ~1,500 games in this league before age started to truly hamper things is absurd and well-worthy of applause.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
PlushUnrulyEstuarinecrocodile-size_restricted.gif

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I was really happy when he signed with us the first time.

Having him instead of Craiggers as a veteran/leader in that dressing room, cannot be overstated in it's importance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Cullen was the perfect 4th line center for the Penguins during his stay here, especially in his 1st stint during the b2b Cup wins but even last season he still showed he has what it takes to play the game. One of Rutherford's less heralded (Kessel, even Bonino taking the spotlights - and Sullivan, Hagelin, Daley taking the spotlights as in-season moves) but equally important moves in the summer of 2015 to put forward the great supporting cast of the b2b Cup teams. Great player, great leader, great career.

Little fact about Cullen: he retires as the leading point scorer of 1996 draft class.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Shit on Rutherford all you want, but him signing Cullen in 2015 was a huge part of our back to backs. Best 4C in the league during that time. I'm not one to overly value intangibles, but he absolutely had a huge part in the young guys coming along and contributing big for us in the playoffs.

God bless you, Cullen.

Now, we get what we want moving forward. Let's see what Blueger can do.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
**** on Rutherford all you want, but him signing Cullen in 2015 was a huge part of our back to backs. Best 4C in the league during that time. I'm not one to overly value intangibles, but he absolutely had a huge part in the young guys coming along and contributing big for us in the playoffs.

God bless you, Cullen.

Now, we get what we want moving forward. Let's see what Blueger can do.

He took a step back in 2017, but he was great next to the kids in 2016. Guys like Sid, Kessel, Murray, and Tanger were awesome that year. However, Cullen played a key role.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
**** on Rutherford all you want, but him signing Cullen in 2015 was a huge part of our back to backs. Best 4C in the league during that time. I'm not one to overly value intangibles, but he absolutely had a huge part in the young guys coming along and contributing big for us in the playoffs.

God bless you, Cullen.
It was. And at the time, I didn't like it. Very happy to be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad