News Article: The Day After (ten things to examine as the Penguins enter the offseason)

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I give Seth about an 8 out of 10 for this....don't agree with all, but he was spot on with his conclusion about our unfounded arrogance.
I don't follow him and have found him to be shallow and a bit of a jerk at times. But props for this article, it needed to be said.

And YES he clearly reads HF LOL!!!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Better than usual for that guy... but his first, like... five or six points were basically a thinly-veiled excuse to yell INJURIES, DAMNIT... INJURIES!

Were they bad (again) this year? Yeah. Did they throw a wrench in some of their plans. They always do. But frankly I'm so sick and tired of hearing it year after year. Friggin' plan for it better, then. It's obviously a team full of lemons -- make preparations accordingly or trade their *****.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Does anyone know the mechanics of the type of regular buyout we would use on Scuds and/or Kunitz in terms of deadlines? When does the window for buying players out start, and when does it end? I'm too lazy to try to decrypt the CBA. I'd assume we'd want to have it done by the start of free agency on 7/1, in any case.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
The only thing I disagree with is his point about Farnham, otherwise pretty much everything else is spot on.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
bad team that's only going to get worse. at least Sid and geno were able to get one cup. hopefully they are traded soon so they can have a chance at more.

Nope sid will rot and never win hardware again. Make you feel better?

But that's okay, time to move into the McDavid bandwagon. You got your oilers jersey yet?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
The only thing I disagree with is his point about Farnham, otherwise pretty much everything else is spot on.

Agree. I recall him drawing more penalties for the opposition than putting us shorthanded.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Nothing earth-shattering for this group but it's nice to see someone in the media not be a complete toolbag or just plain clueless.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Better than usual for that guy... but his first, like... five or six points were basically a thinly-veiled excuse to yell INJURIES, DAMNIT... INJURIES!

Were they bad (again) this year? Yeah. Did they throw a wrench in some of their plans. They always do. But frankly I'm so sick and tired of hearing it year after year. Friggin' plan for it better, then. It's obviously a team full of lemons -- make preparations accordingly or trade their *****.

Agreed. Plus, no one in the media seems to connect the dots with injuries on D and trading one of your best PMD at the deadline. Yeah the injuries sucked, but when you choose to trade a young, physical PMD with big upside for a mediocre 3rd pairing veteran, you helped dig your own grave.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to like the article, but it talks too much about injuries. It's the constant fall back excuse. So annoying.

And this summer is strange. They really have lost the trust of their fan base. No matter what they say, I won't believe it until I see it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
It's a weird situation. Injuries absolutely did cripple this team this season. There's no questioning that at all. To bring up injuries is not an excuse, it's a valid reason. That being said, there's a Hell of a lot more wrong with this team than just being hit by injuries at the wrong time. Our entire prospect pool save for 3 players is barren (KK, Sunqvist, Murray). We have entirely too many leeches on this team not pulling their weight or playing an effective style of hockey (Kunitz, Sutter, Scuderi, Lovejoy, Spaling). And we are still, after a decade and two different GMs, missing two top six, long term wingers. We're soft, we're old, we're easy to play against, and we're slow. Couple all of that with the fact that there's nothing in the pipeline to come in and play effectively, and we're up **** creek without a paddle. I'd be interested to see Sundqvist's play this coming season--and I pray to god we let him play through the growing pains. I don't know if KK is ready, I doubt it, but it sure would be nice to have a speedy, skilled winger ready to go on an ELC. Harrington and Dumoulin are what they are; serviceable 2nd or 3rd pairing defensemen. Nothing spectacular in any aspect. Murray's season was one for the ages, but there's absolutely zero need to rush him into the NHL. I'd like to see how he plays with another season in WBS under his belt before we start giving him backup duty to MAF. No use in sitting him for 65+ games a season in the NHL when he can continue to develop by getting 70 GP in the AHL.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad