The Data-Based Drafting Thread (what players would a Potato pick?)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Mangiapane scored a pretty nice goal last night night; he's been scoring lately and if he becomes a useful player then that salvages the 2015 draft for the potato somewhat:

2015: Anthony Beauvillier, Anthony Richard, Andrew Mangiapane, Nikita Korostelev, Jonathan Davidsson, Tim McGauley, Kay Schweri

Anthony Richard also made his NHL debut this year so while taking Beauvillier over Boeser is a miss, at least there are 3 players who were good enough to play an NHL game. And of course, Pettersson having the year he is having helps the potato as well.

Here are the rankings for 2019. Nobody is catching Kakko at this point but there could still be some movement afterwards. Surprisingly, Jack Hughes is no longer #2...

Kaapo Kakko
Ville Heinola
Jack Hughes
Samuel Fagemo
Mikko Kokkonen
Arthur Kaliyev
Alex Turcotte
Bowen Byram
Pavel Dorofeyev
Jakob Pelletier

This is looking like a pretty weak draft for CHL prospects, and the potato prefers the players playing in Finland/Sweden. Heinola's 14 points in 34 games is actually better than the 10 in 37 Heiskanen put up in his draft year, but I am somewhat thin on data for Finnish defenders and the potato has missed on this before (Robin Salo.)

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, as always.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Whom Would Toddler of Drafted?

I thought it would be interesting to compare Benning's 1st round picks to the lowest bar possible. Give a toddler a flash card with the top 5 left on Bob Mckenzie's draft rankings and have him pick by inee minee miny mo. To simiulate this I used a random number generator. Each player was assigned a number from 1-5 depending on where they were ranked among Bob's list.

Toddler picks:

Haydn Fleury
Brock Boeser
Matthew Tkachuk
Michael Rasmussen
Noah Dobson

So far Benning has 2 1st liners\top pairing D while the Toddler also has 2. Benning's prospect wins because of Hughes as, he is better than the toddler's other prospects.

Last edited:

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Whom Would Toddler Drafted?

I thought it would be interesting to compare Benning's 1st round picks to the lowest bar possible. Give a toddler a flash card with the top 5 left on Bob Mckenzie's draft rankings and have him pick by inee minee miny mo. To simiulate this I used a random number generator. Each player was assigned a number from 1-5 depending on where they were ranked among Bob's list.

Toddler picks:

Haydn Fleury
Brock Boeser
Matthew Tkachuck
Michael Rasmussen
Noah Dobson

So far Benning has 2 1st liners\top pairing D while the Toddler also has 2. Benning's prospect wins because of Hughes as, he is better than the toddler's other prospects.

I'd run it 500 times, and take the 95th percentile result. Also, Bob's list is based on who he thinks will be taken where, no? I don't think his list is based on where he sees the prospects ranked from best to worst.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
Whom Would Toddler Drafted?

Toddler picks:

Haydn Fleury
Brock Boeser
Matthew Tkachuck
Michael Rasmussen
Noah Dobson

Somewhere out there, Bob Nicholson is desperately trying to get this young man on the phone.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I'd run it 500 times, and take the 95th percentile result. Also, Bob's list is based on who he thinks will be taken where, no? I don't think his list is based on where he sees the prospects ranked from best to worst.

What's the point of running it 500 times if it's evenly distributed?

In any case, yes, this is another way to illustrate the point. Drafting, espeicaly in the first round, just is not rocket science and anyone who thinks Benning is amazing is not thinking critically.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Tentative top-15 for 2019, should be pretty close to final, unless I find some kind of bug.

1. Kaapo Kakko, F, Liiga, 38 P in 45 GP.
2. Jack Hughes, F, USDP, 45 in 100.
3. Samuel Fagemo, F, SHL, 25/42.
4. Alex Turcotte, F, USDP, 59/32.
5. Arthur Kaliyev, F, OHL, 102/67.
6. Bowen Byram, D, WHL, 71/67
7. Ville Heinola, D, Liiga, 14/34
8. Jakob Pelletier, F, QMJHL, 89/65
9. Nathan Légaré, F, QMJHL, 87/68
10. Trevor Zegras, F, USDP, 78/55
11. Bobby Brink, F, USHL, 68/43
12. Dylan Cozens, F, WHL, 84/68
13. Brayden Tracey, F WHL, 81/66
14. Ryan Suzuki, F, OHL, 75/65
15. Thomas Harley, D, OHL, 58/68

Would imagine that Fagemo will be the potato pick for Vancouver; I think he's projected to go in the 3rd or something.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009

You're right about the Bobfather's methodology but all that matters is it's publicly-available at the time of the draft.

May 31, 2006
Tentative top-15 for 2019, should be pretty close to final, unless I find some kind of bug.

Would imagine that Fagemo will be the potato pick for Vancouver; I think he's projected to go in the 3rd or something.
Shouldn’t your model discount/penalize Fagemo due to being a 2nd eligible player?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Thanks for continuing to run this dude.

Couple questions if you don't mind:

1. What's pushing Caufield down? Figured his goal totals would be a big boost.
2. What caused the shift in Heinola's ranking from 2nd to 7th? Factor changes or just others moving past him?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Shouldn’t your model discount/penalize Fagemo due to being a 2nd eligible player?

It does.

He would be ahead of Hughes if he were 18. The potato *loves* teenagers who produce in the Euro pro leagues. Is it over-compensating? Possibly.

Last edited:

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Thanks for continuing to run this dude.

Couple questions if you don't mind:

1. What's pushing Caufield down? Figured his goal totals would be a big boost.
2. What caused the shift in Heinola's ranking from 2nd to 7th? Factor changes or just others moving past him?

Very good questions. I'll check Caufield when I get back to my computer.

The liiga has been the toughest league for me to pin down. For awhile, I had been running two seperate factors, one for "sm liiga" which is how the league was branded prior to 2013, and a separate factor for "liiga" since the rebranding.

After researching this some more and analyzing the data, I just don't think this is valid. It seems like this was just a re branding and there is no real reason to believe that the quality of the league has changed. No new teams were added, the relegation system didn't change, etc. I am reticent to "split" the factors for a league unless I actually have a valid explanation for why there would be a league quality change.

So I have unified the two factors for now, and just calculated one for the Finnish league in general. As a result, heinola and kokkenen fell a bit.

If anyone has any insight into this (liiga league quality) please let me know as it's been one of the biggest challenges I have had with my league factors and its possible I am missing something.

Reactions: vancityluongo

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Questions/Comments:

1. Where does Soderstrom rank, considering that he is playing in the SHL?

2. Suzuki still being top15 is a pleasant surprise. I've liked his game since the beginning, but felt he did not have the numbers to warrant a top10 selection. That may not be the case.

3. Where is Dach ranked?

4. Cozens should factor well with this. He's producing at a strong clip.

5. Pelletier as a top8 pick is encouraging. Why didn't height factors penalize him as much?

6. With Boldy outproducing Zegras, why does the latter rank higher?

7. Heinola in the top10 is where I expected him to be with this type of ranking. His Liiga numbers are good.

8. Turcotte pushed his way back into the #3/#4 spot in the draft, despite injuries. However, does the potato account for sample size?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Questions/Comments:

1. Where does Soderstrom rank, considering that he is playing in the SHL?

87th

3. Where is Dach ranked?

He is 16th, literally just missed my arbitrary top-15 cut-off. He is tied with Raphaël Lavoie.

5. Pelletier as a top8 pick is encouraging. Why didn't height factors penalize him as much?

Height factors are hard to figure, especially since a player's height can change and you have different sources, but historically there has been a significant enough difference between forwards listed at 5'9"* for the draft and those listed at 5'7" that the factor is different, and yes, Pelletier is not hit as hard as Caufield. The Q also still rates higher in my numbers than the USDP, despite people's annual insistence that the US program is better.

*Note: Important to distinguish "listed at" vs. whatever their real height is.

6. With Boldy outproducing Zegras, why does the latter rank higher?

Because he didn't out-produce him? 79/56 > 78/60

8. Turcotte pushed his way back into the #3/#4 spot in the draft, despite injuries. However, does the potato account for sample size?

Yeah, but it's pretty arbitrary. I use 30 games as a threshold, so if he were under 30 games he would rank lower. Because he managed 32 it doesn't affect him much. A lot of Euro players and US players only play 30-50 games so you can't ding players too much when they are in this range, although Turcotte is in the extreme low end of this range. Just one of those things.

Pavel Dorofeyev is an example of a player who would probably be in the top-15 if he had maintained his production for 30 games instead of 19.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There seems to be enough interest in this topic to merit continuation, however I was starting to clutter up the management thread with stuff that is not directly related to current management and I have nowhere else to put this, so I am starting a new thread.

I have spent the last several months working on a system for drafting players based on nothing more than publicly-available information, namely games played and points in the player's draft year, along with the league played in and biographical data (birthday and height/weight as listed on NHL.com at time-of-draft.)

The purpose of this exercise was to establish a "baseline" that one could use to properly evaluate a team's draft performance. How well are they doing at drafting? Well, compare their picks to the picks that this simple system would have made, and you have your answer. If a team cannot consistently do better than "the potato," then some difficult questions should be asked of the scouting staff.

I have put a lot more information on the methodology and the intention on my blog, so I will just link to the introduction there rather than repeating everything here. I have made several follow-up posts there which talk about a few other topics.

Honestly, the system performs better than I would have expected, and it is something into which I have now invested substantial time. I have made several tweaks and added considerable more data to it since my original post, including draft data going back to 2009.

Because this is the Canucks forum, here are the picks the Canucks would have made since 2009, taking the best player available using the actual picks the Canucks had, and applying the latest version of my formula. Note that the system does not know where the player was actually drafted or even in some cases if the player was even drafted at all, so it makes some substantial reaches. Note also that these might differ in some way from what is on the blog, but not substantially so. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions about any particular player.

2009: Brandon Pirri, Anton Rodin, Mike Hoffman, Benjamin Cassavant, Curtis McKenzie, Brandon Kozun, Michael Cichy

2010: Jesper Fast, Brendan Gallagher, Artemi Panarin, Alexei Marchenko, Brendan Ranford

2011: Shane Prince, Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Andrew Fritsch, Ondrej Palat, Joel Lowry, Josh Manson, Ryan Dzingel, Henrik Tommernes

2012: Esa Lindell, Jujhar Khaira, Alexander Kerfoot, Matej Beran, Emil Lundberg

2013: Alexander Wennberg, Artturi Lehknonen, Sven Andreighetto, Eric Locke, Andreas Johnsson, Juuso Ikonen, Brendan Harms

2014: William Nylander, David Pastrnak, Brayden Point, Viktor Arvidsson, Spencer Watson, Axel Holmstrom, August Gunnarsson

2015: Anthony Beauvillier, Anthony Richard, Andrew Mangiapane, Nikita Korostelev, Jonathan Davidsson, Tim McGauley, Kay Schweri

2016: Matthew Tkachuk, Vitaly Abramov, David Bernhardt, Maxime Fortier, Brayden Burke, Tim Wahlgren

2017: Elias Pettersson, Jason Robertson, Jonah Gadjovich, Igor Shvyrov, Matthew Strome, Artem Minulin, Austen Keating, Ivan Chekhovich

The same formula is used for each and every draft and not altered or tweaked in any way for any particular draft year. The 2017 draft has also not been used for any assessment of it and I have tried, in each year, to include as many undrafted players as I could find to truly represent the pool of players available, but it is difficult to find this information and some may be missing.

Remember, scouts are paid for their predictions, and just as you would want to know how a money manager is doing by comparing his predictions to a standard model for picking stocks, so too should you compare your scouting to a standard model for picking players, and probably look to invest your money elsewhere if it compares poorly.

How the Canucks have performed compared to this simple baseline is 100% up to your evaluation of these players. I have also spent a lot of time on this topic but won't get into the actual team evaluations here because this post is already too long. I have team evaluations and rankings on my blog if you want to read them there.

As with any system, some drafts are looking better than others for this system. The 2009 and 2015 drafts are not good in general when applying this model to all 30 teams, while the 2010, 2011 and 2014 drafts are looking quite strong. The 2016 and 2017 are too early to call one way or the other.

Finally, I will close this post by posting the top-20 for both 2017 and 2018. I was originally going to do every draft since 2009 but this post is already so long and nobody is going to read it all. I have the 2018 draft also posted on my blog along with further commentary, however I will answer any questions here and take any requests for further information.

First, 2017:

1. Elias Pettersson
2. Lias Andersson
3. Nico Hischier
4. Nick Suzuki
5. Nolan Patrick
6. Cody Glass
7. Jason Robertson
8. Conor Timmins
9. Gabriel Vilardi
10. Kole Lind
11. Jonah Gadjovich
12. Martin Necas
13. Nicolas Hague
14. Igor Shvyryov
15. Owen Tippett
16. Kailer Yamamoto
17. Cal Foote
18. Aleksi Heponiemi
19. Matthew Strome
20. Antoine Morand
21. Michael Rasmussen

The Canucks actually managed to get 3 of the top ten from this system, although it preferred Jason Robertson to Kole Lind. I am not a big fan of lists, and surely parts of this is always going to be laughable, but the important thing to me is the overall performance of applying this methodology to every pick and comparing it to the overall performance of teams. There are going to be some massive misses in both cases so the long-run evaluation is more important than the rankings. On the one hand, the model had Sven Baertschi ahead of Nikita Kucherov in 2011, but on the other hand, so did the scouts, and at least the model had Kucherov in the top-20 (Baertschi was ranked 14th, drafted 13th; Kucherov was ranked 15th, drafted 58th.) I think that keeping perspective on this is important.

I think very clearly the biggest place where this methodology will differ from scouts is with players with perceived skating issues. Guys like Matthew Strome and Jonah Gadjovich were available to be selected much later because of their skating. This is not something that I can account for in the data (yet!) This seems like a very clear space where scouting can add value and should be able to out-perform this baseline. If it were "me" making the picks I would want to definitely consider skating ability and factor that into the rankings.

OK, finally we get to 2018. Brace yourself!

1. Rasmus Dahlin
2. Evan Bouchard
3. Andrei Svechnikov
4. Noah Dobson
5. Filip Zadina
6. Jesperi Kotkaniemi
7. Isac Lundeström
8. Martin Kaut
9. Jacob Olofsson
10. Filip Hållander
11. Joe Veleno
12. Alexander Alexeyev
13. Akil Thomas
14. Oliver Wahlstrom
15. Ryan McLeod
16. David Gustafsson
17. Jonatan Berggren
18. Linus Karlsson
19. Carl Wassenius
20. Nathan Dunkley

Without repeating what I wrote on the blog, it is a big draft for European players as guys like Lundestrom, Kaut, Olofsson and Hallander are highly-ranked but could be grabbed with later picks. Most of these guys are separated by the slimmest of margins and could be moved around anywhere. The biggest gap is after Dahlin, as the scouts seem to have as well.

I will be honest, I have worked very hard on this and probably put 200-300 hours into it at this point, far exceeding my original intentions of making the laziest system possible. I am excited to see how it does for 2018 but also aware that any one draft can boom or bomb, and the 2018 draft having a lot of defenders makes it even more difficult, so it wouldn't surprise me if it performs more like the 2015 draft than the 2014 one.

In any case, this should set for us a relevant baseline against which we can compare the Canuck picks. When the draft occurs, I will post our picks in here in "real time" as I will pick for the Canucks the best player available based on the system. I will also post "my" pick by taking into account some expectations for where a player will go which the system does not account for.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions I am happy to answer them, although I will note just one more time that more information is on the blog so if you want some more details I would encourage you to at least read the introduction post there.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: I had made a translation error when copying into this post and missed Conor Timmins in the 2017 rankings, who should have beetn between Robertson and Vilardi. I have updated the post but now show the top 21 so that I am not removing anything.

Remember your HF Friends when a NHL team comes along and hires you. ;)

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The liiga has been the toughest league for me to pin down. For awhile, I had been running two seperate factors, one for "sm liiga" which is how the league was branded prior to 2013, and a separate factor for "liiga" since the rebranding.

After researching this some more and analyzing the data, I just don't think this is valid. It seems like this was just a re branding and there is no real reason to believe that the quality of the league has changed. No new teams were added, the relegation system didn't change, etc. I am reticent to "split" the factors for a league unless I actually have a valid explanation for why there would be a league quality change.

So I have unified the two factors for now, and just calculated one for the Finnish league in general. As a result, heinola and kokkenen fell a bit.

If anyone has any insight into this (liiga league quality) please let me know as it's been one of the biggest challenges I have had with my league factors and its possible I am missing something.
While it didn't take place right at the time of rebranding, since that time Jokerit (traditionally one of the stronger SM-Liiga teams) left the league for the KHL, so that may have diluted the quality of play somewhat. Espoo also went bankrupt in 2016, and some other teams have been promoted.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
While it didn't take place right at the time of rebranding, since that time Jokerit (traditionally one of the stronger SM-Liiga teams) left the league for the KHL, so that may have diluted the quality of play somewhat. Espoo also went bankrupt in 2016, and some other teams have been promoted.

I knew about Jokerit, but the thing is that the league actually seems stronger than it used to be, and I can't really find a plausible explanation for why that would be the case.

passive voice

Jun 16, 2009
I knew about Jokerit, but the thing is that the league actually seems stronger than it used to be, and I can't really find a plausible explanation for why that would be the case.

(without giving away the recipe) Are your outputs limited to NHL production? Linearly? Finland is in the midst of a golden generation of high-end talent, which could cause the league to appear stronger.

(edit:to be clear this is me just talking entirely outta my ass, and assuming when you talk about a league's strength you're referring to how its alumni do in the NHL)

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I guess if the effect is real, it would just be explained by the quality of players who have come available, either through internal demographic shifts or more foreign-born players coming. And since all this is relative, could it also be explained by a decline in formerly stronger teams (like Czech Republic and Slovakia)?

Haha,its funny you mention that. I am in the final interview stage with a major team right now (not hockey.) Supposed to find out this week if I got the job, in which case I'll be moving to the US.
Huge news... this is awesome!

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Mangiapane scored a pretty nice goal last night night; he's been scoring lately and if he becomes a useful player then that salvages the 2015 draft for the potato somewhat:

Anthony Richard also made his NHL debut this year so while taking Beauvillier over Boeser is a miss, at least there are 3 players who were good enough to play an NHL game. And of course, Pettersson having the year he is having helps the potato as well.

Here are the rankings for 2019. Nobody is catching Kakko at this point but there could still be some movement afterwards. Surprisingly, Jack Hughes is no longer #2...

Kaapo Kakko
Ville Heinola
Jack Hughes
Samuel Fagemo
Mikko Kokkonen
Arthur Kaliyev
Alex Turcotte
Bowen Byram
Pavel Dorofeyev
Jakob Pelletier

This is looking like a pretty weak draft for CHL prospects, and the potato prefers the players playing in Finland/Sweden. Heinola's 14 points in 34 games is actually better than the 10 in 37 Heiskanen put up in his draft year, but I am somewhat thin on data for Finnish defenders and the potato has missed on this before (Robin Salo.)

Will be interesting to see how it plays out, as always.

Thanks for your work Melvin. How does the absolute ranking/score of the USHL players from this year compare to the score it gave for Boeser in the 2015 draft?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Haha,its funny you mention that. I am in the final interview stage with a major team right now (not hockey.) Supposed to find out this week if I got the job, in which case I'll be moving to the US.
Good luck MBM, never forget your homeys here, we basically rased you ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad