The Darren Archibald Appreciation Thread

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Pretty disgusted that Sestito saw time on the third line over him tonight. Archibald has been looking way better in every conceivable facet....

cc

Feb 28, 2002
When has this happened?

It has happened against the nucks a few times. One notable time was against boston and thornton. He knew that the canucks didnt have anybody to stand up to him and he ran canuck players a number of times.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The first part of your post: That makes no sense at all. A goon fighting the dirty-players battles doesn't satify the wronged party and it certainly doesn't discourage the dirty player.

Also I haven't seen Sestito 'run around' for 'revenge' got us once. Because he's not good enough to play more than 2 and half minutes and 'run around.'

Did you watch the game tonite. Sestito ran all around and LA just watched after he best up Nolan. Also challenged Clifford. Everything cc and ryp said played out in this game. Sestito is useful in his role and was important vs LA as well. Archibald can not play that role and we want Kassian to be more. Sestito made the LA game watchable

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Thought Archibald gave it a good effort today, but he struggled. Still think there's a very useful bottom 6'er in him down the line, but we have no depth right now to sub guys in right now due to all the injuries.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Did you watch the game tonite. Sestito ran all around and LA just watched after he best up Nolan. Also challenged Clifford. Everything cc and ryp said played out in this game. Sestito is useful in his role and was important vs LA as well. Archibald can not play that role and we want Kassian to be more. Sestito made the LA game watchable

I can acknowledge that Sestito is a useful player to throw out there when you're losing 5-1, sure.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
How is a staged fight going to change this?

Orr is going out in every game he plays to try and take runs at people and stir **** up.

After he has a pointless fight with Sestito, is he going to be like 'Hmm, I guess I'm going to stop doing my job and stop playing physical?' Is he scared of another fight with Sestito?

There's no logic to the whole enforcer narrative.

Orr is going to play exactly the same way whether we have a goon dressed or not. The only thing dressing a goon does is justify his existence.

Boston has more goons than anyone in the league. Did it stop John Scott from flattening Ericsson? Or Jesse Winchester from decking Chris Kelly with an elbow a couple nights ago?
I'm not going to try and guess what goes through a goon's mind when another goon is playing, but the results are evident on the ice. Your examples of John Scott and Jesse Winchester are a little ridiculous; obviously a goon isn't going to 100% stop the other team from making any dirty hits or starting things entirely. However, once it does start, a goon helps things settle down.

In a perfect, theoretical world there is no need for an enforcer. Every dirty hit gets called, the Canucks punish the opposing team on the power play which forces the opposing coach to tell his goon to settle down or plant him on the bench, and all is well. In an actual game this doesn't happen, and having a goon to counter the other goon really does settle things down.

But even if you disagree with all of this, on a purely practical level we need a player like Sestito for the simple reason that - whether this should be done or not - Kassian was having to fight the other team's plugs in response to what was happening on the ice. Sestito saves Kassian from having to do this, which I strongly support since I want Kassian to focus on becoming a strong player and on scoring, not fighting.

I agree with the idea that Sestito more or less neutralizes the opposing forwards enforcers. Despite Orr winning that fight, Sestito held his own and managed a few shots on Orr which I think hurt him. If it was any other Canuck player, they may have been demolished and potentially injured taking on Orr. I appreciated Setito's presence in that game.
The same thing happened when they played against Calgary. McGrattan was throwing his weight around and then when Sestito fought, McGrattan settled down and stopped throwing his weight around
This is exactly what I've noticed during games since we've picked up Sestito as well - it settles the other goon down.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I have been very pleased with archibald I feel he has cemented himself a spot on the 4th line even after weise and Hansen return
Sedin sending kesler
Burrows santorelli Higgins
Hansen Richardson kassian
Weise welsh archibald
And yes I know booth is missing

Btw last night against la was sestitos best game yet

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Again, the notion that he would stop doing his job and playing physical because of Tom Sestito is ridiculous.

That's not why you dress a Sestito. You dress a Sestito to stick up for his teammates if someone is running around so that Kassian doesn't have to. We can either have Kassian fight opposing heavyweights, refuse to stick up for teammates when they're being run or dress a guy like Sestito. It may not help win games, but players like knowing someone will be there to stand up for them if the need arises.

IMO you don't dress a Sestito come playoff time but over a long regular season, he serves a purpose. If for no other reason than to allow Kassian to focus on playing, not policing opposing heavyweights.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I'd suggest that getting his fight for the game and knowing that he's done the thing that pays his bills is what settles down the opposing goon more than being scared that he's going to have to beat up Tom Sestito again.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'd suggest that getting his fight for the game and knowing that he's done the thing that pays his bills is what settles down the opposing goon more than being scared that he's going to have to beat up Tom Sestito again.

Agree with this. Goons seem to really dial back the aggression after they've been involved in a fight. Like you said, they probably feel like their job is done and they almost coast through the rest of the game.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Agree with this. Goons seem to really dial back the aggression after they've been involved in a fight. Like you said, they probably feel like their job is done and they almost coast through the rest of the game.

Also, it's TIRING.

It's exhausting being in a fight with somebody who is as strong as you or stronger. Most goons aren't exactly considered ironmen in the endurance department. It takes a lot out of them to have a hard scrap. Only so much energy to expend per night.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What I like about the Canucks' recent development process is that they aren't afraid to send guys down to the ECHL if they know it's going to develop a certain area of their skillset better. They haven't been afraid to bring players they send down right back up to the AHL and even the NHL. Archibald and Burrows are recent examples but Grenier is also looking great in the AHL this year. Should be interesting.

How long until we see Archibald with the Sedins?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It has happened against the nucks a few times. One notable time was against boston and thornton. He knew that the canucks didnt have anybody to stand up to him and he ran canuck players a number of times.

Course having "knuckledusters" didn't prevent this from happening to the Bruins:

I'm kind of on the fence (at least with respect to the regular season) on the "value" of having Sestito in the lineup. Sure against "certain teams"....but most teams?

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Course having "knuckledusters" didn't prevent this from happening to the Bruins:

I'm kind of on the fence (at least with respect to the regular season) on the "value" of having Sestito in the lineup. Sure against "certain teams"....but most teams?

there really isn't an answer for Scott around the league. It's a good thing that Scott is more or less a friendly giant. the problem with the Bruins is that they play an intimidating, physical brand of hockey against the Sabres. That seems to bring out the worst in John Scott. The Canucks usually play clean against most teams preferring to play more of a puck pursuit game and because of that, you probably won't find John Scott running around taking liberties on the Canucks like he does against the big bad bruins.

I think a lot of teams try to play a physical brand of hockey against the canucks (maybe partly due to people's misconceptions about the Sedins). I admit that it's probably not necessary against teams that don't play that kind of hockey.

Tanevian*

Nobody should ever think that it will absolutely prevent everything. In fact, that's become a really stupid argument made by the anti-goon squad.

We have police and laws but people still commit crimes. Watch what happens when there are none.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Nobody should ever think that it will absolutely prevent everything. In fact, that's become a really stupid argument made by the anti-goon squad.

We have police and laws but people still commit crimes. Watch what happens when there are none.

Exactly.

Toughness is never useless.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yes I absolutely will dust the cobwebs off this one.

Darren Archibald is showing he can play in the NHL.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
Archibald shouldn't be on the roster next year at the expense of a very young player but given the Nucks will roll out the Sedins, Gagner et al he probably will be.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's a UFA, so if the Canucks don't sign him to a one-way contract based on his recent play, somebody else will.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I don't think he's been much of a physical presence and there are more effective hockey players out there.

He's fine but meh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->