The Cycling Thread

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
On the topic of buying a bike, is there a one with a road frame/look but you can ride it on gravel. I know about hybrids, but they don't look and feel right for me. Or they didn't last time I checked a few years ago.

The problem with road bikes is they don't permit a large tire. You could buy a mountain bike frame, without suspension, and put a decently large slick tire on it. Or buy two set of wheels for mountain and road cycling.

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Oh ok, good ideas. I was hoping to get something that I could from road to gravel, just because we have a ton of flat trails where I live, but I guess I'd be better off just getting a road bike.

Negative Split

Jan 23, 2011
Oh ok, good ideas. I was hoping to get something that I could from road to gravel, just because we have a ton of flat trails where I live, but I guess I'd be better off just getting a road bike.

You might want to look at a cyclocross bike. Road-type frame with a skinnier mountain bike tire. CX bikes run about 500g heavier than a typical road bike, but they can handle both gravel and road.

Something like this:
http://rideblue.com/norcrosssp.php

Oct 18, 2006
How good does it feel to be back on the bike after a while on the sidelines? Not a massive ride today, probably just above 40km’s, but felt my pace was the best it’s ever been, especially for the first half.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
^ Thanks for the link. Excuse me while I mop up some drool.

Edit: Oh thats awesome the bike dealer is near my house.

I commute (20 km each way) on a cyclo-cross bike. It comes with what I'd call "forest-tires", something akin to watered down mountain bike tires. I had them replaced with normal road tires (not slicks), then fitted full-size fenders.

It's bleeping perfect for commuting; reasonably low weight, Shimano 105 (front gear was 46/36, replaced with 50/39), the fenders keep water on the road away, and with inserts, it very rarely punctures (once in a year, or there abouts).

http://www.cube.eu/en/road/x-race/x-race-comp/

Last edited:

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Here are the UCI Pro Tour races. (Races that gives points in the world rankings).

Most of the more interesting ones are before the Tour de France.

NMF78

Feb 25, 2010
Belgium
Could anyone compile a list of the Tours and Classics that are a good watch over the course of the year?

Big One-Day Classics:

Milan - San Remo (around march usually)
Ronde van Vlaanderen (Tour of Flanders) (one or 2 weeks after MSR)
Paris - Roubaix (a week after Flanders)
Liege - Bastogne - Liege (a couple of weeks after Roubaix)
Giro di Lombardia (early october)

Grand Tours:

Giro d'Italia (may)
Tour de France (july)
Vuelta a Espana (late august-september)

and there's the World Championships every late september (two weeks after the Vuelta usually)

These are the 9 biggest cycling events every year.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Fleche Wallonne is my favorite classic.

For races that aren't on the UCI World Tour, there's obviously the Tour of California, and the US Cycling Challenge that takes place in a few weeks time. I'll make sure to update the thread or bump it every time a big race comes up.

One rumor going around is that Vuelta 2012 is going to head to the Canary Islands and ride some of the hard climbs there.

Velits brothers will both join Quick Step-Omega Pharma whatever they're going to call that team.

Mikel Astarloza is back from his doping suspension and riding for Euskatel.

Bradley Wiggins is going to ride the Vuelta for GC. Who knows how that'll turn out.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Post Danmark Rundt (tour of Denmark) kicked off yesterday with a 175 km stage in western Jutland.

The stage was marred by the passage many dikes and narrow bridges, which tore the peleton in two. Sacha Modolo from Colnago ended up winning the sprint, but many GC contenders were put 1½ minute behind the pace.

Video from the stage finish and ceremonies: http://www.postdanmarkrundt.dk/index.php?p=nyheder/profil.php&nyhed=176

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Having the smarts and concentration to ride in front of the peloton is really the most underated cycling skill.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
After a smattering of breakaway attempts, a few moderately succesful, Matti Breschel (Rabobank) and Rémi Cusin (Cofidis) manage to break away from the peloton with about 5 km today, of today's stage of Tour of Denmark.

Cusin won the sprint, but between the 2 second gap and the six bonus seconds from the sprint, Breschel got himself the top spot overall. He also finished 2nd in yesterday's sprint.

Tomorrow's stage is a pretty hefty one, as it finishes with a few laps around Vejle, where the Kiddesvej (21%, but short) climb will cause some gaps.

109449_626_312_0_0_0_0.jpg

3100818.jpg

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
^ Cool pics.

Bobridge, Meyer brothers first Australian signings for GreenEdge

Bannan says riders are part of his long-term vision for the team

GreenEdge has announced the signings of their first Australian riders on their roster, with Jack Bobridge along with Cameron and Travis Meyer joining the Shane Bannan project from Garmin-Cervelo.

It is unclear on the length of the three rider's contracts, but it follows the announcement earlier today that multiple African champion Daniel Teklehaymanot has signed a two-year contract with GreenEdge.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bobridge-meyer-brothers-first-australian-signings-for-greenedge

I thought they signed Stuart O'Grady or is that a rumor/speculation?

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jacob Fuglsang managed a tight win today, winning back a little bit of the time he lost on stage 1.

He was followed closely by Gerrans and Benatti, with Gerrans claiming the overall lead.

Stage 3

1 Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Leopard Trek
2 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Sky 0:00:02
3 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Leopard Trek 0:00:06
4 Niki Ostergaard (Den) Glud & Marstrand - LRO 0:00:13
5 Bertjan Lindeman (Ned) Vacansoleil-DCM Pro Cycling Team
6 Remi Cusin (Fra) Cofidis
7 Michael Mørkøv (Den) Saxo Bank Sungard
8 Matti Breschel(Den) Rabobank
9 Stefan Denifl (Aut) Leopard Trek
10 Damien Gaudin (Fra) Europcar

GC

1 Simon Gerrans (Aus) Sky
2 Daniele Bennati (Ita) Leopard Trek 0:00:02
3 Matti Breschel (Den) Rabobank 0:00:03
4 Michael Mørkøv (Den) Saxo Bank Sungard 0:00:08

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Modolo (COL) took Saturday's first half-stage, then Richie Porte (SAX) won Saturday evening's time trial.

Gerrans (SKY) defended his yellow jersey well, and eventually won it, actually sprinting with Bennati (LEO) for bonus seconds on the last stage, though Theo Bos (RAB) won the stage.

Gerrans was in a rush to get home, as his wife is very, very pregnant. Hence, he did his winner's interview during the car-ride to the airport - it's a crazy world!

HighAndTight

Ready To Be Hurt Again
Jan 12, 2008
Victoria, BC
Lefevere holding out for Gilbert and Van Den Broeck

Quick Step manager claims Van Den Broeck has a contract with BCC

Patrick Lefevere has not ruled out signing both Philippe Gilbert and Jurgen Van den Broeck for the 2012 season. The riders’ futures have been cast in doubt following the announcement that Omega-Pharma and Quick Step are to merge next season, while confusion reigns over contractual rights. Both riders had signed contracts running into 2012 with the current Omega Pharma-Lotto team management company BCC, who will manage Omega Pharma-Quickstep in 2012.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lefevere-holding-out-for-gilbert-and-van-den-broeck

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Thor Hushovd has now officially moved to BMC.

Movistar have signed Italian national champion Giovanni Visconti.

HTC-Highroad has closed.

Pieter Weening won a stage in this year's Giro and held the Maglia Rosa, now he has a move to GreenEdge on the cards.

Taylor Phinney will ride the Vuelta.

AG2r are looking to sign some riders with WorldTour points so they can keep their license for next season, so hopefully they come up with someone good.

The Imp

5-14-6-1
Jul 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
AG2r are looking to sign some riders with WorldTour points so they can keep their license for next season, so hopefully they come up with someone good.

Pierre Roland, come on down!

He'd fit right in with their team. I wonder what Europcar's budget looks like for next year. The sponsor surely got $-for-$ back during the Tour.

Negative Split

Jan 23, 2011
Big 48 hours for BMC--signing Thor, and Taylor Phinney getting his first pro tour stage win at the Eneco Tour. With Hincapie, Evans, and Hushovd, and the two young guys Phinney and Van Garderen, they're going to be a threat in the classics and GC races next year.

With HTC folding, I really think Cavendish will be heading to Team Sky. I wonder if Renshaw will follow Cav.

obsenssive*

I have a question. what exactly should you do when taking a corner with a good amount of speed? I know to flex out the inside leg so its pointing outwards but should you shift your body as well? and how much?

I took a corner today at about 35km/h and decided to sit up on the bike and lean into the turn with my body and my back tire skidded like crazy and I thought I was going to wipe out. obviously I was doing something wrong :laugh:.

its hard to tell what the pros do from watching because they take corners so fast and the cameras dont really give you an idea what they are doing with their body except for pointing the inside leg out, and the bike is angled towards the ground.

Dom

Aug 6, 2006
Did you brake while turning? Like a car, the tires skid a lot easily when they are locked by the brakes. You should brake before the corner and reaccelerate while you turn. Or you can practice the skidding and earn more drift points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->