The Curse of Pageau

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Much like a couple of years ago when the Senators selected Pageau one pick before Montreal in the fourth round, the Habs' scouting staff had an eerie sense of deja vu on Sunday.

They watched intently as club after club passed on Subban, only to see the team right before them select PK's brother. Needless to say, there was some disappointment.

"He was our guy!" exclaimed Timmins the day after the draft when i asked him if they were considering taking Subban in the fourth. "Just like Pageau two years ago."

It would have made for a great story on Sunday. Too bad it didn't come to fruition.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Much like a couple of years ago when the Senators selected Pageau one pick before Montreal in the fourth round, the Habs' scouting staff had an eerie sense of deja vu on Sunday.

They watched intently as club after club passed on Subban, only to see the team right before them select PK's brother. Needless to say, there was some disappointment.

"He was our guy!" exclaimed Timmins the day after the draft when i asked him if they were considering taking Subban in the fourth. "Just like Pageau two years ago."

It would have made for a great story on Sunday. Too bad it didn't come to fruition.

How about....trading for him even if it means slighly overpaying?

Cass

May 22, 2013
MTL
Grant, any other insight on who the Habs were looking at? Was it Morin or Horvat they were very high on if they traded up? What's the word on why erne fell? I love reading your posts thanks for sharing.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
How about....trading for him even if it means slighly overpaying?

Because....they hoped he would drop to them? He almost did. Didn't have a 5th round pick to dangle either to try to move up.

Why overpay for a 5-8 dman? He was worth the risk in the fourth round..but I don't think he was worth overpaying for..otherwise some team would have picked him a lot higher. The correct strategy was to hope for him to drop to 116...and he almost did.

You can't trade up for every guy you hope to draft....otherwise the Habs would have been moving up for every selection. You have to hope that guys fall to you that you like at that spot...

It's not like Subban was a top 50 guy on the Habs' list...but at 116 he was the guy they hoped to get.

Every year ..every team misses out on guys they hope will drop to them...unfortunately it happened to be the team right before the Habs that picked him, just like Pageau. That's part of the drama and fun of the draft.....you just don't know what's going to happen.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Grant, any other insight on who the Habs were looking at? Was it Morin or Horvat they were very high on if they traded up? What's the word on why erne fell? I love reading your posts thanks for sharing.

I'm not privy to the team's intentions for every pick...I asked about Subban and got a straight answer.

I figure Morin and Horvat were possible targets if they moved up, but I don't know that for sure.

You can probably figure out why Erne fell...especially when Colorado passed on him at the start of the second round...character issues.

Cass

May 22, 2013
MTL
I'm not privy to the team's intentions for every pick...I asked about Subban and got a straight answer.

I figure Morin and Horvat were possible targets if they moved up, but I don't know that for sure.

You can probably figure out why Erne fell...especially when Colorado passed on him at the start of the second round...character issues.

Thanks! I liked the pick of Reway in Subban's place. Makes for an interesting draft as a whole!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Because....they hoped he would drop to them? He almost did. Didn't have a 5th round pick to dangle either to try to move up.

Why overpay for a 5-8 dman? He was worth the risk in the fourth round..but I don't think he was worth overpaying for..otherwise some team would have picked him a lot higher. The correct strategy was to hope for him to drop to 116...and he almost did.

You can't trade up for every guy you hope to draft....otherwise the Habs would have been moving up for every selection. You have to hope that guys fall to you that you like at that spot...

It's not like Subban was a top 50 guy on the Habs' list...but at 116 he was the guy they hoped to get.

Every year ..every team misses out on guys they hope will drop to them...unfortunately it happened to be the team right before the Habs that picked him, just like Pageau. That's part of the drama and fun of the draft.....you just don't know what's going to happen.

I'm actually not talking about during the draft but I'm talking about now. I know it rarely happens if not never....but would Vancouver consider it for the right offer. And I say "overpaying" as Vancouver KNOWS what bro Subban represents for us. Worth it? What could it cost for a player that never played the game?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Same for Duclair. Like the Etchegary invitation though. He deserves it.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006

Thanks Grant, I was curious as to why Erne dropped like he did.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site

Do you think Thomas could become our Pageau? How are the comparables?

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
I love the bi-polar nature of certain parts of this fanbase
Yesterday we swapped 2nd rounders and there was an uproar because the guy we got is 5'9". Blood lines be damned they said

So now we just missed our guy Subban? It would make a great story?(his brother and all)
LOL
Isn't he 5'9" tall?
Blood lines be damned?

I guess things change day to day, thread to thread

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

If they really liked him that much they would have drafted him before 116th overall.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
If they really liked him that much they would have drafted him before 116th overall.

Again, he's OUR guy, means AT THAT SPOT he is. It has to mean that they really wanted both, and had more indication that Crisp was more in danger to be picked than Jordan.

Cass

May 22, 2013
MTL
Pretty much this, Crisp would have most definitely been around in the 4th

Just cause Crisp projects more of a goon or grit player doesn't mean they didn't have his potential ranked higher than Subban. If all role players were ranked low then they'd only be drafted in the 6 or 7th rounds. I actually like the Crisp pick it gives us something that we have been sorely lacking and who knows he can always help out in nets!;)

Yep

Lighthearted
Sep 12, 2009
Planète XY 1000 Z
Landing his little brother, even if don't ever play in the NHL could have helped the Habs in the upcoming negotiation with P.K.

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009
Oh to be a fly on the wall... or on the table I guess.

I'm actually most curious about the following...
1) Did Vancouver also get our guy in Shinkaruk? I know they said they were looking for size and grit, but when someone of that calibre slips, you sometimes have to change your strategy.
2) Did Bailey and Bowey being picked before #55 feel just like the Subban & Pageau picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad