The curious case of Wojtek Wolski

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Wolski is still in the tub and never came out.

In all seriousness, Wolski was a one-dimensional player that didn't produce enough in his last few years in the league. Those types are being weeded out of the NHL. If you can't score consistently in the NHL, you need to bring something else to table... defensive play, forechecking ability, speed, toughness, etc. In addition to not possessing any of those traits, Wolski also lacked intensity, so I'm not surprised he could no longer hack it in the NHL.

Why did he produce enough in the first few years and not in the last?

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Why did he produce enough in the first few years and not in the last?

It's think it's somewhat similar to Prucha... he benefited from good linemates. His first few years in the league he played with Sakic and then later on with Hejduk. Svatos had a similar career trajectory playing with the Avs. But I recall the work ethic and consistency problems were always there with Wolski.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
is this really about Wolski falling off or about how amazing Joe Sakic was?

Of the 4 seasons with good offensive numbers, Sakic was on the roster with Wolski for the first two but not the last two. His best season in Colorado was the last one where he got traded. Sakic wasn't there.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
Some guys look so skilled and you wonder how they're not lighting up the league. I never saw Wolski as that. Not as a Ranger, anyway. I think Zherdev applies more. Wolski never looked to me like he was underachieving, really. Honestly, I thought Erik Christensen had more "holy ****" moments of skill than Wolski ever did. And he never had a season like Wolski did in Colorado, so there's a real underachiever.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

almost as curious as Petr Prucha.

Prucha didn't have the skills Wolski had. Prucha hustled and took advantage of some blessed opportunities, but he never displayed a special skill that would have kept him in this league. Wolski imo, did. He had solid puck skills and good technique handling it. Good vision.

It's just one of those classic scenario's where the player has the tools but no toolbox. I don't think the NHL-grind is as easy as it looks, and I'm sure it can overwhelm certain types of personalities. You see it in every sport though. And every year.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Prucha didn't have the skills Wolski had. Prucha hustled and took advantage of some blessed opportunities, but he never displayed a special skill that would have kept him in this league. Wolski imo, did. He had solid puck skills and good technique handling it. Good vision.

It's just one of those classic scenario's where the player has the tools but no toolbox. I don't think the NHL-grind is as easy as it looks, and I'm sure it can overwhelm certain types of personalities. You see it in every sport though. And every year.

good points here.

prucha played with jj. that helped. skill wise tho, he was just so-so.

wolski i really liked. had enormous skillset. in his draft year he was a bigtime talent. if you looked at him on a good night, you saw a player doing things with the puck most players could not do. if you saw him on a bad night, you had to look real hard to even notice him.

he was mr perimiter.

could you morph those 2 into say.... petek pruski- you would have a pretty decent top 6 forward.

now this ever lisin fella...i hear he was similar to wolski in many ways :laugh:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

The thing with Prucha is he was willing to go to the dirty areas and did have enough skill to finish off the passes. Unfortunately for him it didn't take long for the pounding he got doing that to catch up with him. He was always getting plastered. I can remember the Rangers television crew commenting about how shocked his mom was at times from the hits he took. He was a small guy and he put himself into some vulnerable situations and he didn't always have his head up.

satrabyk

Dec 10, 2008
Hes very very very weak on his skates, is waiting on the perimeter instead of getting involved. There are times to be on the perimeter but when your in the corner you need to be able to protect the puck and not whip it away as he would do. Useless hockey player.

satrabyk

Dec 10, 2008
good points here.

prucha played with jj. that helped. skill wise tho, he was just so-so.

wolski i really liked. had enormous skillset. in his draft year he was a bigtime talent. if you looked at him on a good night, you saw a player doing things with the puck most players could not do. if you saw him on a bad night, you had to look real hard to even notice him.

he was mr perimiter.

could you morph those 2 into say.... petek pruski- you would have a pretty decent top 6 forward.

now this ever lisin fella...i hear he was similar to wolski in many ways :laugh:

I cant believe no one talks about the horrific trade of Korpi for Lisin, WOW was that horrible!!

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I cant believe no one talks about the horrific trade of Korpi for Lisin, WOW was that horrible!!

The Rangers ended up on the wrong side of that trade, but it was a calculated risk. The organization at the time had a surplus of solid two-way guys but a severe lack of pure offensive talent. Lisin was a compelling project to take on.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Wolski is still in the tub and never came out.

In all seriousness, Wolski was a one-dimensional player that didn't produce enough in his last few years in the league. Those types are being weeded out of the NHL. If you can't score consistently in the NHL, you need to bring something else to table... defensive play, forechecking ability, speed, toughness, etc. In addition to not possessing any of those traits, Wolski also lacked intensity, so I'm not surprised he could no longer hack it in the NHL.

This. When Wolski was here...I saw him as too soft. He needs to toughen up if he is going to remain a professional hockey player in any league.

BTW, I notice that Petr Prucha has come into this thread...I haven't looked on the Coyotes board, but Wolski ended up driving Prucha out of the league when they were both in Phoenix. It seems as though after being in Colorado, WW fell off a cliff.

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
When I watched Wolski dogging it and helping the Habs to score two goals in one single game against the Rangers by his sheer laziness, I wrote him off.
There was zero, nada, zilch from him offensively to counter it.

Okay, this thread concerns how he could have dropped from such lofty heights. I never paid much attention to him until he came to the Rangers. What a dud he was. A big, soft playing, non-backchecking dud.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Wolski was like the guy you work with who earned multiple degrees and had a rich dad or a rich wife but spent most of his work day surfing the internet.

He doesnt really care about the job because it's not his priority. So he gets fired and moves to another job, just to say that he has a job, but has no real goals to work hard for.

Every job he goes to, he has clashes with his boss, so he stops giving a **** and waits to get fired.

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Still comes back to the question: how do you judge these kind of factors when you think about drafting someone?

And: if you have doubts about character, should you ignore them because of a players skillset?

And: should you ever trade for a player who has been an underachiever (not because of injuries)?

And: were trades and waiver picks ups for players such as Zhervdev, Wolski, and Christensen doomed from the get-go?

I'm not talking about players who may just need more developmental time but players who there were whispers about work ethic, dedication, etc.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers ended up on the wrong side of that trade, but it was a calculated risk. The organization at the time had a surplus of solid two-way guys but a severe lack of pure offensive talent. Lisin was a compelling project to take on.

And yet, here we are a few years later continuing to import bottom 6 players, trying to find answers.

Lisin may have been a compelling project, but he wound up being one of the dumbest hockey players I've ever had the displeasure of watching.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
I feel the need to interject here, because some of the things people are saying in this thread are discrediting him the wrong way. As someone who has watched him almost his entire career in the NHL, I'll tell you exactly what the issue with Wolski is.

He can't create chances for himself. He's an average skater, and this doesn't just mean he isn't fast. He's not very good at staying on his skates when he's being pressured. He's easily knocked off the puck, easily stripped of the puck, and just generally bad at moving around other players. The reason for his success in Colorado should be... fairly obvious.

06-07, he emerges in the league with a 50 point season. A flashy forward who can find the net, and his teammates.
07-08, he slumps a little bit -- only by 2 points. Less goals this time.
08-09, he continues to slump down to 42 points now, and 4 less goals for only 14.

Now, let's follow the last few years in the career of the man who made Wolski look like more than he is -- Joe Sakic

06-07, Sakic has a typical year. 100 points in 82 games.
07-08, Sakic starts to succumb to injuries. He only plays 44 games, but still puts up 40 points.
08-09, Sakic's last year, only 15 games played.

The 09-10 year, Wolski bounces back -- but look at the Colorado team as a whole. That year was the ****ing miracle year for that team that was failing to reach the playoffs year after year. Stastny mustered up 79 points in 81 games -- when has he gotten close to that since then? Stewart had 64 points only to be traded for being a lackluster player who can't score the next year. Maybe you guys even remember Brandon Yip, who had 19 points in 32 games his rookie year in Colorado, and hasn't sniffed that point progression since then.

That season was a crazy anomaly. Everybody on that roster overperformed, including their goalie, Craig Anderson. The point is, Wolski is useless without players around him making the plays. He can't create offense for himself, and he's not going to be a difference maker on any team. He's the kind of player you pick up when you need a spare part to feed off the top tier playmakers you already have. The Rangers had no player like that to speak of while Wolski was here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
He's the kind of player you pick up when you need a spare part to feed off the top tier playmakers you already have. The Rangers had no player like that to speak of while Wolski was here.

I'd buy all of that except for one thing: he had players like that in Washington and still didn't produce. We aren't only talking about his failures here in NY. We're talking about the complete drop in his game everywhere he's gone, including the KHL it seems at this point.

Panfork

Pacioretty Hater
Feb 1, 2010
NY
I'd buy all of that except for one thing: he had players like that in Washington and still didn't produce. We aren't only talking about his failures here in NY. We're talking about the complete drop in his game everywhere he's gone, including the KHL it seems at this point.

Yeah, his time in Washington was confusing. Might be a simple case of broken confidence by now. :dunno: He spent most of the time there playing with Backstrom. I only watched him up to his Panther days, I didn't really see him play much last season.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
He's just lazy. He gets complacent.

Look at every team he's been on. He starts off great than bottoms out. He started his Panther career on fire then vanished.

Some guys just dont give a crap about the game. Talent can only take them so far.

Wolski is the classic case of a pro athlete who used his God-given talents to make a few bucks and not give two ***** while doing it.

16 To Stanley*

As good as Korpi has become, I don't see the Lisin trade as terrible. Rangers needed top end talent and took a chance. Korpi was never really going to be much more then a depth guy.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
As good as Korpi has become, I don't see the Lisin trade as terrible. Rangers needed top end talent and took a chance. Korpi was never really going to be much more then a depth guy.

Korpikoski would be this team's best bottom 6 forward right now.

Lisin was an idiot on skates.

It was a bad trade - no need to sugarcoat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->