The curious case of Max Afinogenov

ozpensfan

Nov 19, 2013
Western Australia
hey guys

Im aware Im digging up the past with this - and keep in mind Im from a country where internet speeds aren't exactly good, TV coverage is nil and well, you get the gist.. anyway there was a gap in TV coverage somewhere between when the sabres were dominant and when they were mid pack - one minute hes putting up 70+ odd points and then the next thing i saw he was getting 4th line minutes, streaking at full speed into the offensive zone while Paul Gaustad was still in the D-zone... anyway what happened? Was just curious from a sabres fan point of view. Where did it go wrong?

Bps21*

The league called penalties for 2 seasons and it eliminated the clutching and grabbing.

Then they stopped.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Whirling Dervish
(n.) A person whose behavior resembles a rapid, spinning object. These actions are often spastic fidgeting and incessant babbling. The actions of the whirling dervish are irritating and annoying, often exhausting other people in the immediate vicinity.

Ennis has these episodes from time to time :biglaugh:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think besides the post-lockout refereeing fading away, he also dealt with some injuries that made it hard for him to regain form and the confidence of Ruff. Generally speaking, he was never gonna be as good as looking at his talent would make you think he could be, because he didn't have a great toolbox to go with the toolset.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I think that he was never the same after coming to camp with that mysterious concussion business. Allusions to organized crime figures busting his head open, family threatened, and all that.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I think that he was never the same after coming to camp with that mysterious concussion business. Allusions to organized crime figures busting his head open, family threatened, and all that.
His best years came well after that. What are you talking about?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I don't remember what injury it was but it seemed he wasn't the same player after that or he stopped drinking that kool aid for 2 seasons or so and reverted back.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I don't remember what injury it was but it seemed he wasn't the same player after that or he stopped drinking that kool aid for 2 seasons or so and reverted back.
He mangled his wrist didn't he?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Whirling Dervish
(n.) A person whose behavior resembles a rapid, spinning object. These actions are often spastic fidgeting and incessant babbling. The actions of the whirling dervish are irritating and annoying, often exhausting other people in the immediate vicinity.

Ennis has these episodes from time to time :biglaugh:

Ennis is nothing like Afino, he's much more like Briere.

I think besides the post-lockout refereeing fading away, he also dealt with some injuries that made it hard for him to regain form and the confidence of Ruff. Generally speaking, he was never gonna be as good as looking at his talent would make you think he could be, because he didn't have a great toolbox to go with the toolset.

True on the injury side of things, false on the talent comment. Many, and I mean many, NHL scouts would let you know you are wrong.

He mangled his wrist didn't he?

Yep. It was the wrist injury that finalized his career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad