The Curious Case of Dave Bolland

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay -

Remember when it came out that Bozak wanted like a monster contract? something like 8 years at 5.50-6.00ish mill? And we got him for 4.2 at 5 years? I'm hoping it;s something like that, because I like Bolland a LOT but yeah, no.

tamle

Nov 13, 2013
He can't realistically expect Nonis to sign for more than Bozak's contract, so let's hope that's the case. If signing Bolland will give us a headache next year with Kadri's contract, then it's not worth it.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I think anything over 4 years really hurts the team in the future in terms of moving him, or having a prospect coming in to play (Gauthier).

I don't think he'd be ineffective on a 7 year, but that's outrageous for a 3rd line center who can fill in on the 2nd occasionally.

I'm sure like many have mentioned, this is just like the Bozak situation where he originally asked for 7 or 8 years.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
this is where I really love Nonis' cool hand. He's saying the exact same thing he said re: Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf.

He's not under pressure to sign any of them, if they want to be Leafs, he'll make sure to get it done, and if they want to try free agency - they know the offer that the leafs are willing to make. So I think this is pretty much where Nonis is standing. He's not going to ditch Bolland unless the deal is right, and though it will stink losing the 3 picks, for 15 + whatever extra games, he did his job, and that's the business.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
this is where I really love Nonis' cool hand. He's saying the exact same thing he said re: Bozak, Kessel and Phaneuf.

He's not under pressure to sign any of them, if they want to be Leafs, he'll make sure to get it done, and if they want to try free agency - they know the offer that the leafs are willing to make. So I think this is pretty much where Nonis is standing. He's not going to ditch Bolland unless the deal is right, and though it will stink losing the 3 picks, for 15 + whatever extra games, he did his job, and that's the business.

Bozak reportedly opened at 5M during last summer's negotiations. Nonis always said he would make a fair offer, I think he probably countered with 4M for 5. And then moved to 4.2, where thankfully Bozie agreed.

This fits in with Nonis wanting to sign Leafs that want to be Leafs. If Bolland wants to be a mercenary, then he will sign elsewhere. Really I don't hold it against a player for wanting money or wanting to stay in Toronto. Either way there is no wrong.

Hopefully Bolland wants to be a Leaf, and we know Nonis will offer a fair value contract to make it happen. But he will not do something crazy. He has a good track record of reading the landscape.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Okay -

Remember when it came out that Bozak wanted like a monster contract? something like 8 years at 5.50-6.00ish mill? And we got him for 4.2 at 5 years? I'm hoping it;s something like that, because I like Bolland a LOT but yeah, no.

I think DN had way more leverage on Boz then he does on Bolo.

Boz had the buddy factor and time spent here to work with.

Bolo already has two rings and now is looking for his retirement deal.

Something tells me that Bolo would have little concern about inking with a non contender. It's money time for him now.

Frankly, I don't think DN has enough hand in this deal.

LOL think about it this way, CHI traded him for a reason and if ANY team could get him for a fair/hometown deal it would be CHI and not us.

What would Bolo be? The 2nd/3rd most wanted UFA C on the open market?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad