The Cup That Nobody Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
The playoffs are a long road to get through to get the cup.

Have to win 16 playoff games to get your name on the cup, who cares if its a short regular season. The real battle is the four playoff rounds.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they come back in a 30 game season on Mach 1st, that's a game every other day, and every game has more than twice the importance. That would be a hell of a sprint. If they stay with the 7 game series through 4 rounds, that could be exciting hockey for 4 months.

I'm not saying I'd rather have that. I'd be ok if they reduced the schedule a bit, but obviously not like this.

We'll see. If there was one league that can't survive the first lost season in pro sports, it would be the NHL. So I'd rather have a 30 game season starting on March 1st, then no season at all. Both crappy sides still need to get that done though.

Then again, a ridiculous sprint like that might not turn out that great. There could be a high number of injuries. Wait, that will just happen to the Kings. They could have a 1 game season and the Kings could find a way to break their record of 629 man-games lost last year.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
If it's just 25-30 games, those games I imagine will be little more intense than if it was at 80, could probably be very exciting. You gotta look for the good instead of beating up ourselves over the bad, it's not worth it.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Lou is God said:
If it's just 25-30 games, those games I imagine will be little more intense than if it was at 80, could probably be very exciting. You gotta look for the good instead of beating up ourselves over the bad, it's not worth it.
both sides have to agree this could be a big plus - it's saturday night here in vancouver and i'm dying - lotsa other people out here too - we got a contender - i'm even listening to how dan blackburn is doing for the salmon kings of the echl on the internet from fresno - go figure -

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
mr gib said:
both sides have to agree this could be a big plus - it's saturday night here in vancouver and i'm dying - lotsa other people out here too - we got a contender - i'm even listening to how dan blackburn is doing for the salmon kings of echl on the internet from fresno - go figure -
I got the Knicks-Suns game on and I'm looking through the guide for someth...actually anything better and I realize that if there was a season this wouldn't be a problem. And then I got sad.

NewBreed19

If there is a shortened season, look for the yotes to take the league by surprise!! They have made some good moves in the off-season. I just hope hockey comes back, what ever the lenght of the season. I also want to see this years draft and the start of the 05-06 season , on time. :yo:

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Lou is God said:
I got the Knicks-Suns game on and I'm looking through the guide for someth...actually anything better and I realize that if there was a season this wouldn't be a problem. And then I got sad.
we have welterweight boxing - notre dame basketball - and my manchester utd replay that i already watched this morning - its tough but the beer's just as good - rawk on bro - at seven oclock on saturdays when the nucks are on this town is alive - tv and live - bars n stuff -

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Lou is God said:
no lie

- i've watched modo - spengler cup - world juniors ( pretty good ) - world stars - ahl - chl prospects game - whl - ohl - qm whatever they call it in quebec - but it took a canuck re-run from 03 against the avs - and maybe we are spoiled cause we play a run and gun style - but the nhl is the best hockey bar none - speed - size - skill - its easy to forget how good it is when you can't watch it -

i have to believe they will make a deal - i'll even lay off bettman if they do - well maybe - he he

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Bettman does have to have one concern and believe it or not it's gotta be Cosby, if there is no season I beleive he could possibly fight for the right to become a free agent, could be a bloody mess and something the league does want to have to deal with.

I'm sure there will be a lot of messes but this one would be one of the bigger ones.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Lou is God said:
Bettman does have to have one concern and believe it or not it's gotta be Cosby, if there is no season I beleive he could possibly fight for the right to become a free agent, could be a bloody mess and something the league does want to have to deal with.

I'm sure there will be a lot of messes but this one would be one of the bigger ones.
hey have you heard about the dan blackburn story - the two blocker thing - he's playing right now -
salmon kings leading 3 - 1 - 20 game losing streak - here's the link - http://www.echl.com/broadcasts.shtml - zip down to the fresno falcons radio link - could be the feel good story of the year - ya bill cosby i know - just kidding - crosby how are they gonna figure that one out? - falcons just scored 3 - 2 -

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Lou is God said:

Bettman is currently working to save the financial stability of a 2 billion dollar industry. you really think he cares about one player who hasn't even played in the NHL yet?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Epsilon said:
Bettman is currently working to save the financial stability of a 2 billion dollar industry. you really think he cares about one player who hasn't even played in the NHL yet?
the rookie salary cap component is relevant though - this guy is the next you know who -

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Epsilon said:
Yeah I do, it opens up the door for all eligible players for the 2005 draft and Cosby will be ground zero and I never said it was the only problem or even the biggest, but a big one, which it will be.

Last edited:

Crazy Lunatic

Lou is God said:
Yeah I do, it opens up the door for all eligible players for the 2005 draft and Cosby will be ground zero and I never said it was the only problem or even the biggest, but a big one, which it will be.

Bill Cosby is going to be in this years NHL draft?

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
Lou is God said:

I'm from Phoenix and even I totally understand where you are coming from!

If no NHL...GO SUNS!. Not much hockey around here without the Coyotes. :shakehead :banghead:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
mr gib said:
so am i - salmon kings win - in a shoot out - the dan blackburn story - check it out - google it -
Blackburn played AND won?? They were over in the Rangers forum giving his eulogy just a few weeks back.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Lou is God said:
Blackburn played AND won?? They were over in the Rangers forum giving his eulogy just a few weeks back.
the wacky thing is he can't turn his hand to catch the puck - he has nerve damage - he uses two blockers - apparently it was sather's idea -

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
mr gib said:
the wacky thing is he can't turn his hand to catch the puck - he has nerve damage - he uses two blockers - apparently it was sather's idea -

AKA...Sather found out about the idea...gave the guy who thought of it a 2.5K contract for 3 years to allow Sather to pretend it was his idea.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I did not read all of the posts in this thread, but got a gist of the thoughts in the first page or so that I read. My thoughts are that the original poster was basically saying that at this point he would rather just see the season end and start up fresh this year. I pretty much feel the same, I resigned myself to the loss of this season a while back, and at this point the month and a half of games and playoffs will just not quite feel the same to me as a full season's grind would. Sorry, but that is just the way it would feel. Maybe after a number of games I might get into it and feel differently, who knows. But right now I am pretty beaten down by the whole lockout thing and would rather just start new next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad