The Cup Status

Status
Not open for further replies.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Just throwing it out to pick at.... What if the NCAA and CHL had a co-sponsored challenge event to win the Stanley Cup.

"2005 Stanley Cup Champion Ohio State Buckeyes"

Hell yeah, now i'm dreamin'

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
From the minor league news article:
"As far as cheapening the cup, our argument is that not playing your season just because you can't agree how to split up millions of dollars is cheapening the cup more than anything else would."

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
FrenchKheldar said:
I'd say AHL champion against Russian Super League champion...

They would have to add another ring to the cup just to get all the Russians names on it, if they were to win it.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
The "best" champion would be the AHL champs facing off against the US College Hockey champions (or possibly the University of Alberta, who are by far the best team in Candian University hockey). ie..Manchester/Grand Rapids vs Michigan/North Dakota or whoever is the best team in each league.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
OilerFan4Life said:
The "best" champion would be the AHL champs facing off against the US College Hockey champions (or possibly the University of Alberta, who are by far the best team in Candian University hockey). ie..Manchester/Grand Rapids vs Michigan/North Dakota or whoever is the best team in each league.
What about the CHLers? Arguably, they'd be better than the college hockey kids

I dont think the RSLers should have a crack at it. It's our cup and we've had all canadian rosters win the damned thing.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
futurcorerock said:
What about the CHLers? Arguably, they'd be better than the college hockey kids

I dont think the RSLers should have a crack at it. It's our cup and we've had all canadian rosters win the damned thing.

I disagree. Our prospects in Edmonton haven't been great, but they are ranked top 5 in HF's rankings. Anyways my point being, that the Oiler rookies, composed of some very good CHLers get killed every year buy the University of Alberta hockey team. The London Knights though are a whole different cat.....

hockeyfan33

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I don't know about the thought of the Monarchs including guys like Cammalleri, Brown, Garon, etc.. winning the cup before the Kings.

"My name is Dustin Brown, I've been an LA King my whole career, I have a stanley cup ring but the Kings have never won the cup."

that sounds wierd

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
OilerFan4Life said:
I disagree. Our prospects in Edmonton haven't been great, but they are ranked top 5 in HF's rankings. Anyways my point being, that the Oiler rookies, composed of some very good CHLers get killed every year buy the University of Alberta hockey team. The London Knights though are a whole different cat.....
I'm talking american college.

CHL league is probably the best junior league in the world, second would probably be the RSL. I'd think the NCAA would be in a modest third.

CHL vs. NCAA would be a fair tradeoff, speaking that the cup was designed to be awarded every year.

StevenintheATL

Jun 12, 2004
The ATL!
In the past the Stanley Cup was competed for by the two top hockey leagues in Canada, since the AHL and ECHL have teams in both the US and Canada, it would make logical sense to have the Calder Cup champ and the Kelly Cup champ meet to determine the best North American team and get the Stanley Cup. Or go even further and have a playoff comprised of the champs of all of the minor and college leagues. Or the simplest would be to award it to the Calder Cup winner.

Unfortunately, the Cup trustees are on the side of the NHL, even though the NHL will more than likely, not have a season, it is unlikely they'll allow anyone else compete for the Cup. Lord Stanley is probably rolling in his grave right now.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
vespajet said:
In the past the Stanley Cup was competed for by the two top hockey leagues in Canada, since the AHL and ECHL have teams in both the US and Canada, it would make logical sense to have the Calder Cup champ and the Kelly Cup champ meet to determine the best North American team and get the Stanley Cup. Or go even further and have a playoff comprised of the champs of all of the minor and college leagues. Or the simplest would be to award it to the Calder Cup winner.

Unfortunately, the Cup trustees are on the side of the NHL, even though the NHL will more than likely, not have a season, it is unlikely they'll allow anyone else compete for the Cup. Lord Stanley is probably rolling in his grave right now.

The best ECHL team would lose to the worst AHL team.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
CHL Champion vs. NCAA Champion Best of 7
AHL Champion vs. A team consisting of the Most deserving ex-NHL players that never one a cup(ex.Hawerchuck, Gartner(don't think he won), Oates, Barrasso. etc.) Best of 7
Final between winner of the two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
tangible_faith said:
AHL Champion vs. A team consisting of the Most deserving ex-NHL players that never one a cup(ex.Hawerchuck, Gartner(don't think he won), Oates, Barrasso. etc.) Best of 7

You want to have 45 year olds in a best of 7 series? Twice?

Lady Rhian

The Only Good Indian
Jan 9, 2003
Lakes Region, NH
tangible_faith said:

I like your idea much better than the others I have read. At least guys that were formerly in the NHL would have another chance to compete for it.

Nothing against the kids, but it just wouldn't have any meaning, to see them lift the Cup, in my opinion.

With that, I am just sick that for the first time since 1919, there will be no Stanley Cup Competition. The excuse for this is just disgraceful, at least back then, it was the flu that prevented it, and not greed.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
tangible_faith said:
I assume everyone else reading this glossed over your suggestion... Barasso won 2 Cups.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
I like Bob McCown's idea better, give it to the winner of national under 16 tournament. That would really annoy both the NHL and PA.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Gary Bettman and Bob Goodenow in sumo wrestling (with those silly sumo jocks/hairdo's) bump and rub and sweat over one another to determine who the victor is. The winner gets his name on the Cup.

That's ALL the NHL is, now, anyways, so Bob vs. Ratboy determines it.

(BTW....they have to pay the full price of two season tickets plus 41 hot dogs, 82 beers, 41 pretzels and 41 parking fees to get their clothing back, afterwards)

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
tangible_faith said:

If you mean Tom Barasso, he won a couple cups...in Pittsburgh... :dunno:

:::Edit::: Posted before I saw Double-Shift's post :dunce:

RR1107

Mar 30, 2004
Just something I thought I would mention too...I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in an article in my local newspaper) that although the NHL dosen't own the Stanley Cup (the original anyhow, the one used now in the NHL Playoffs is merely a replica of the original "Bowl" that resides at the NHL Hall of Fame) it does own the "image" of the "Stanely Cup" as it is presented to the winner of the NHL Playoffs. So even if Lord Stanely's Cup was awared to a non-NHL team, it would probably NOT be the "cup" we are all used to seeing.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
RR1107 said:
Just something I thought I would mention too...I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in an article in my local newspaper) that although the NHL dosen't own the Stanley Cup (the original anyhow, the one used now in the NHL Playoffs is merely a replica of the original "Bowl" that resides at the NHL Hall of Fame) it does own the "image" of the "Stanely Cup" as it is presented to the winner of the NHL Playoffs. So even if Lord Stanely's Cup was awared to a non-NHL team, it would probably NOT be the "cup" we are all used to seeing.
This is true... the old cup sets in the HHOF. The new one is a replica one I do believe and they just consistently add to it. Imagine having to restore a 100-year old piece of metal and still preserve it so it could make its yearly rounds across the globe.

I'm sure that the NHL could find that as a legal loophole and shoot this stupid "free stanley" idea down fairly quick

On a side note, my prior post about OSU winning the stanley cup... definitely I read in the Columbus Dispatch today that the writer entertained the idea of the team skating the cup in Value City Arena. Wooh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad