The Crow Buffet

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm not eating crow regarding Barry and I don't care who doesn't like it. :arr:
He was still doing his #barrythings but the team overcame it. Employing the turtle vs CBJ and it kept backfiring, then putting DSP on the top line vs Pitt and lets be honest, the only reason why the "kids" were playing is because there was no one else to play! He dissed and dismissed Vrana all season long and V came up big. :eviltongu

Now as for Holtby briefly known as Holthree, I am sorry. :heart:
Also Chiasson helped with a huge goal. I wanted to throw him off a bridge previously.

All due respect.....that’s just flat wrong about the coaching.

In all 4 series, they got behind, figured out what to do to neutralize the other team, and then rolled them.

4 straight vs C-Bus
4/5 vs Pens (without Wilson for 3, and Backs for 1.5)
2 vs Bolts (back to back shut outs!)
4 vs Knights (after they’d won 13/16 in Loffs)

The Caps had never ever ever won 4 straight games against a team before in the playoffs. They did it 2x for Barry & co.

What more do you want? Or is that the point.....none of it mattered....your mind is closed to this

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
All due respect.....that’s just flat wrong about the coaching.

In all 4 series, they got behind, figured out what to do to neutralize the other team, and then rolled them.

4 straight vs C-Bus
4/5 vs Pens (without Wilson for 3, and Backs for 1.5)
2 vs Bolts (back to back shut outs!)
4 vs Knights (after they’d won 13/16 in Loffs)

The Caps had never ever ever won 4 straight games against a team before in the playoffs. They did it 2x for Barry & co.

What more do you want? Or is that the point.....none of it mattered....your mind is closed to this
I can't remember the exact numbers, but their record on the back half of series (games 4+) really illustrates the coaching staff's adjustments

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
They were 14-2 after going down in a series.
4-1 against CBJ
4-1 against Pitt
2-0 against TBL
4-0 against VGK

4-0 in clinching games
Allowed 0 goals in their own elimination games
Beat the reigning Vezina winner
Beat the reigning two-time Stanley Cup champion goalie
Beat a Vezina finalist from this year (probable winner)
Beat the Conn Smythe favorite (going into the final series) and probable Vezina finalist if not for an in season injury.

Kuznetsov scored the most points in a playoffs since 2009.
Ovechkin tied for the most goals in a playoffs since 1996.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not eating crow regarding Barry and I don't care who doesn't like it. :arr:
He was still doing his #barrythings but the team overcame it. Employing the turtle vs CBJ and it kept backfiring, then putting DSP on the top line vs Pitt and lets be honest, the only reason why the "kids" were playing is because there was no one else to play! He dissed and dismissed Vrana all season long and V came up big. :eviltongu

Now as for Holtby briefly known as Holthree, I am sorry. :heart:
Also Chiasson helped with a huge goal. I wanted to throw him off a bridge previously.

Dislike.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Lol. I am a visionary, of sorts. :D

Hell yeah. You should have patented #ALLCAPS as soon as Kuzy flew us out of Pitt. We don't give enough random shout outs to great posters here. You don't have to eat crow because you are always posting positive vibes. Yes, I am appointing you pledge representative to the social committee THE honorary ALLCAPS HFfan of the month. To hell with that, the year!

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
They were 14-2 after going down in a series.
4-1 against CBJ
4-1 against Pitt
2-0 against TBL
4-0 against VGK

4-0 in clinching games
Allowed 0 goals in their own elimination games
Beat the reigning Vezina winner
Beat the reigning two-time Stanley Cup champion goalie
Beat a Vezina finalist from this year (probable winner)
Beat the Conn Smythe favorite (going into the final series) and probable Vezina finalist if not for an in season injury.

Kuznetsov scored the most points in a playoffs since 2009.
Ovechkin tied for the most goals in a playoffs since 1996.

this may be the most impressive stat I've seen 14-2 and against those 4 teams is just flat out amazing.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I have no crow to eat. At least not that I can remember.

I’m starving though and being a team player I’ll eat some crow for anyone who has excess

Actually I do recall one thing

While I didn’t hate Trotz I would have preferred Laviolette I recall citing Trotz conservative nature and questionable handling of young players

Also I was sure GMGM would have taken Grubauer over Schmidt. Disappointed like most that he didn’t but in hindsight I’m not sure we make the playoffs without Grubauer

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
I think my helping of Crow comes from usually only posting here out of frustration. I did wonder late winter-early spring when the team seemed to be turning it around a little if they shouldn't just bring in a new coach to get them over the hump in the playoffs (if they were sucking, why bother?).

I stayed pretty positive through the playoffs after R1G3, save for a few frustrating games where i slid back into curmudgeonly negativity.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I think my helping of Crow comes from usually only posting here out of frustration. I did wonder late winter-early spring when the team seemed to be turning it around a little if they shouldn't just bring in a new coach to get them over the hump in the playoffs (if they were sucking, why bother?).

I stayed pretty positive through the playoffs after R1G3, save for a few frustrating games where i slid back into curmudgeonly negativity.

Everyone posts negativity out of frustration at some point, even the most optimistic, especially given the window and past history. One thing is for sure it's all in the past now and a wonderful ride this season. Everyone one of the past demons were exorcised minus the game 7 curse. It's all part of being a fan.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Hell yeah. You should have patented #ALLCAPS as soon as Kuzy flew us out of Pitt. We don't give enough random shout outs to great posters here. You don't have to eat crow because you are always posting positive vibes. Yes, I am appointing you pledge representative to the social committee THE honorary ALLCAPS HFfan of the month. To hell with that, the year!

Ahhhh....thanks. :D

I do have my moments of negativity, though. I am only human.

I do try to keep things positive, though. Life is too short to be bitter, cynical and negative all the time.

I accept your award. But I must acknowledge the team here. You people made all the difference. Best teammates a Caps fan could ever ask for. :thumbu:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I’m gonna put these two quotes in and then let this thread die. I was the first true anti-Brian guy. Boy, did he prove me wrong!

And then here’s me keeping the faith with our Capitan just so I can feel a little better about myself.

Anyways, cheers to everyone this will be fun to look back on in a couple years when we’re whining about Oshie and Ovechkin Jr. and whoever becomes the next Orpik or Mojo lol.

What a great ride!!!

I’m gonna go on record again and say that Brian’s tenure has been largely a mixed bag. Hopefully he improves over the next few seasons but if his trajectory is any indication - which I think is a downward one- I’d wager that he’ll do just enough to keep us competitive, and not much more. He is riding GMGM and Ovechkin’s coattails as of right now. And he doesn’t have any knock-it-out-of-the-park-this-changes-everything moves to hang his hat on. Oshie is the closest thing to that but then he turned around and signed him for 8 years when there is a long history of players of his ilk declining precipitously in their 30s. Orpik is another player who served a purpose, so the signing wasn’t terrible, but keeping him on this season in the top-4 while leaving the younger, faster, cheaper and better suited to today’s game Schmidt unprotected is most likely another Cup losing blunder. Combined with his deadline flops, I’d say he’s taken away as many chances as he’s given.

He gave us two amazing opportunities at a Cup when there was a perfect storm on the roster. But his first year and this year - two seasons where considerably more work was needed - he punted and it cost us. Plus if you look down the road into subsequent seasons I’d say we could definitely be in better shape. He’s neither tried to aggressively open a window down the road, nor has he truly gone all-in on a consistent basis. Instead he’s done a little bit of one and a little more of the other.

This playoffs and the following offseason will be extremely telling. I won’t be shocked if he surprises me and smartly retools the roster on the fly. However, my confidence in his ability to do that effectively is at an all-time low, so if I had to guess I’d say he continues to tinker and largely ride Ovechkin’s brilliance and McPhee’s core...

Not only that, I don’t think he has the stones or the gravitas to make a larger impact on the organizational culture. I think the continuation of some of the things that plagued us during McPhee is a testament to that. If it’s coaching, he needed to spearhead a more aggressive approach to rectifying it. If it’s the players then he needed to trade from the core and change up the inherent mix on that front. He’s done neither.

We could do better...if anyone wants to seriously argue otherwise, have at it. So far no one has spelled out sufficiently why Brian is such a keeper at this point. I think the reason that no one has done it is because it can’t actually be done.

As a longtime fan of DC Sports I can say- beyond a shadow of a doubt - he’s been the most incredible athlete we’ve had the privilege to root for.

As much as it sucks that the Caps have been playoff failures over the years, I can also say at this point I’d never blame Ovechkin. He brings it every single year. He’s got the heart of a lion and I only wish the people around him would do absolutely everything they can to find that elusive team success. He shows up, guaranteed.

It’s up to mgmt and his supporting cast to sack up and show some ******ed initiative. You absolutely cannot ask for more from an individual player than what Ovechkin has provided. It’s been unreal rooting for him over all these years, sink or swim.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
I really thought they botched the expansion draft by letting Schmidt go. Obviously it would have been nice to keep him but Gruby was vital during the second half of the season and Bura/Vrana/Wilson all contributed in important ways in the playoffs.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I really thought they botched the expansion draft by letting Schmidt go. Obviously it would have been nice to keep him but Gruby was vital during the second half of the season and Bura/Vrana/Wilson all contributed in important ways in the playoffs.
Kempny falling into their laps was a godsend in terms of replacing Schmidt. They got lucky that Quenneville mismanaged him so poorly in Chicago and that he was available for so cheap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad