The Crow Buffet

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I wanted to wait until the dust settled before I started eating all the crow the Caps served up with their unbelievable run to the Cup. The team was simply phenomenal this season and seemed to get better and better as the playoffs went on. There were many, many heroes. Too many, in fact, to list here. From top-to-bottom this was an organization wide effort from Ted to McLellan to Trotz all the way down through every single player who donned a Caps sweater. It was a fantastic job and every single person in the org deserves a ton of credit.

I think part of what I learned over the last few months is that I’m a hockey fan first and a hockey analyst second. This year in particular, I was wrong...dead wrong...about ten million times. And boy am I gonna enjoy admitting that to you all now. There’re so many juicy, crow worthy posts from yours truly this year I’ll just start with one. Feel free to join in and out yourselves as well. I think it’ll be a blast and be great to read back on in the future. Here’s a real doozy from the Columbus series to get us started:

“I was hoping to be eating crow this time but it’s looking more and more like I’ll be serving it instead. GMBM is not very good and you will all be calling for his head in no time at all. He is not the architect to turn this franchise around.

Pointing out Trotz’s shortcoming is beating a dead horse at this point. And while I wanted him fired mid-season or earlier, it’s clear that he’ll be taken to the cleaners once he hands in this flop.

After that happens all indications are that we’ll still be stuck with the Leonsis/Patrick/McLellan trimuverate. It’s a crew that simply cannot make the hard decisions and stay one step ahead of the curve. The fact that the NHL went faster and we signed Oshie to 8yrs, held onto Orpik, and then let Schmidt be taken via expansion are exhibits A, B and C. Now old school Trotz is simply compounding it by not seeing the urgency in deploying Gersich/Vrana types.”

Jun 15, 2007
Personal crow eating:

I was wrong about Orpik. Thought he should've been sent into the sun. I mean I still do, but now just to make room for Carlson, Wilson, Kempny, etc. Not because he sucks.

I was wrong about Carlson. I thought he was extremely overrated by people who only saw point totals. He played well. Not well enough that I'll be happy if he signs a 8x9 deal though.

I was wrong about Ovechkin/Kuznetsov as a line. Thought it would be disastrous defensively. That line turned out to be our superweapon. Defense doesn't really matter when you're spending the entire time in the O zone.

I was wrong about Wilson. Thought he was permanently ruined.

I was wrong about Holtby. Thought Grubauer was the answer.

Crow I want to serve up:

I've always been pro Trotz.

Johansson and Alzner. Both extremely nice guys so it's hard to say mean stuff about them but they are just not impact players at all. We didn't miss them.

Schmidt. I am 100% sure if we protected Schmidt and Wilson, Mcphee would've taken Burakovsky or Johansson. We'd still have won.

Oshie and Kuznetsov contracts. There was a sense GMBM got taken to the cleaners. But I never thought so. Look at what Ryan Johansen and Evander Kane got. Kuznetsov and Oshie are cheaper and twice the players those guys are.

Orlov. I still think this guy will be a future number one. Had a few bad games but overall a great playoffs.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
My personal crow serving:

-I said DSP would spend the season in Hershey and not amount to anything.
-I thought Grubauer was the answer heading into the playoffs. To be fair, most people including Trotz shared this opinion.
-I thought Ovi lacked leadership and commitment at times.
-I thought we could never win with Orpik getting significant ice time.
-I thought Connolly should've been dealt during the season.
-I had no faith in Burakovsky performing well in the playoffs.

However, I believed in Trotz, GMBM, Kuzy and this year's Ovi. I believed the Caps had a very good chance to win the Cup when we tied the series against Columbus, or at least to make it past Pittsburgh.

It's ok to be wrong, no one could've predicted that the Capitals would win their first Cup this year against Vegas of all teams. What matters is that we cheered them on and stayed loyal to this team. Our patience has been rewarded.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Definitely have to eat crow when it comes to the coaching staff. I always thought this group of players more or less had it in them to be the best but this year the coaches were amazing and it couldn't happen without them. They adjusted marvelously well and came up with legit answers both in slowing teams down through the neutral zone and with their defensive zone coverage. It takes the team listening, learning and incorporating that info into their game but they were ahead of the curve almost every step of the way--at least when it really mattered--and it helped greatly in putting them in prime position to succeed.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I have to eat the most crow on Barry. I wanted him fired 2 years ago. His future with the team may shed some light on what turned our season around. Did he strike gold by telling the players he quietly planned to retire? Whatever it was, it worked.

Second most crow was for Holtby, who I was down on for a few first/soft goals in big games in seasons past. His shaky RS only reinforced what I was thinking. I just wanted him sat/rested (like many), but also to try to pump up Grubby some and deal with whatever happened. Once Holts got rest/refocused, he was money.

I have to eat crow on Djoos. I still think it was a mistake for no playoff team chosing to challenge him physically/repeatedly on the forecheck. Maybe they did and he got rid of the puck and avoided the big hit. He was very smooth and poised for all but a few late Florida games. Compare to Orlov who had 1 or 2 high profile gaffes in quite a few games, admitted with tougher assignments but also a lot more experience. Djoos developed right before our eyes this playoffs. I loved his huge battle in front in the last game, even though a goal was scored. He was battling proper and got his man down as the goal was scored.

I loved that Orpik cranked it up the last 3 months. Puking crow here. I feel like he has the most crow to shovel. Maybe a bad pairing fueled it but not much. He was a beast this playoffs before getting boarded, and then just quietly solid after that. A couple whatever gaffes aside, he exceeded probably every single knowledgeable fans expectations, especially WRT facing fast teams. I think it was very telling seeing Ovi and Nick jointly passing the cup to him. The ultimate sign of respect. I wonder if him scoring was the final straw in making all the players know we would win it. It was a sign.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
For me, I was over the Ovi era. I saw him as not having the motivation to train hard enough to be able to bring his considerable talents every shift for two full months. I disputed his leadership, because of that. I felt then and still feel now that teams, any organization really, will emulate its leadership, and if the leadership takes a shift off here or there, so will the troops. I always felt like until Ovi commits to playing two ways for 60 minutes, we'll fall short. I still feel that's what a Captain needs to do. I just never thought Ovi was the guy who would do it.

He always scored goals, but rarely scored timely goals when they really needed one. He would block shots when asked to (by Dale) but he never committed fully to a two way game. He always hit, but his physical play would ebb and wane.

It was evident to anyone with eyeballs, even Milbury, although not Pierre, that Ovi had stepped up into a new Ovi this Loffs. This playoffs, he scored goals and it seemed like every single one of them was critical and lead to a momentum grab or an outright win - last minute vs Pens or first minute vs TB. This playoffs, he never took a single shift off, and neither did anyone else. This playoffs, he punished the opponents until they waived the white flag of surrender. This playoffs, he played two ways better than he ever had, he back-checked like a player that would not stop until he raised the Cup. And so he did!

I never thought Ovi would play like this, even if I felt he could play like this.

And so having been proven 100% wrong about our beloved Captain, I humbly submit to you this recipe, served with equal parts red wine and joyful glee!

51-BYdovQgL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Some things I'm happy to eat crow about:

1)Barry Trotz 10 times over. I wanted his ass fired after the first Pens loss. I would say 80% of my criticisms was over Trotz and his inability to adapt. I literally felt like I hated the man. Iwas really wanting a younger coach and pined for Reirden just for the sake of change and I'm glad it never happened. It's all washed away now and I truly hope he doesn't leave. Barry please forgive me.

2)Brooks Orpik. I knew the first two years would be ok of the contract but even so it was a gross overpayment, but I rationalized it as one we "needed". Well, I still think he sucked the past few years regular season and playoffs, but he like Trotz made me a believer during this Cup run. So glad to have had him on this team.

3)Holtby. I always supported him but after last year and the regular season this year, I was definitely on the Grubby train. "The Save" will go down not only in hockey, or DC, but sports lore forever. It will probably be pointed as the turning point for the Caps. Happy he's our goalie.

4)GMBM. This is one that's about half and half. Guy did an amazing job when he got here. He really tried to make a difference with Niskanen and Orpik, Oshie trade, Eller trade, and even Shittenkirk. His moves this season paid huge dividends. On the negative he seemed totally unprepared this past summer and we all thought we paid for it. Lost Mojo for two 2nds, lost Schmidt for free. No matter how you boil it down, it was bad asset management but he made up for it.

Some things I'm happy to serve about:

1)Ovi. My support for the man has never wavered. There were times he's pissed me off but I always thought he brought it in the playoffs. I always defended him to people and had to pull up stats. This playoff run he went superhuman though. Love you, captain.

2)Giving the young guys a chance. I think we all wanted this for a while but it showed it paid off. The young guys were huge and Djoos held his own in the defensive zone.

3)Depth signings. Already touched on it but I really thought the DSP and Chiasson signings were solid and bringing Connolly back for 1.5 was a good deal. I knew DSP was drafted high and I remember watching Chiasson in Dallas and making an impact in games if for the wrong reasons, but hell I think the man had 12 goals before he got here. They worked out.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Me busting on Kempny during the ECF on the backhanded blind pass and being mad at Trotz during early phase of Pitt series. I always liked the Trotz hiring, but admit I was growing tiresome before the playoffs. I'm elated he won a cup for us as a coach. I had doubts about Djoos with a physical playoff as an undersized player and he proved me wrong. I do believe he is going to be special. I supported the Orpik signing and always knew teams need these types, but the Break away during 2017 Pitt series caused severe doubt at the beginning of 2018 series. Had my doubts about Bura rising to clutch level and proud he stepped up. Off topic, but I'm as proud as a papa about the youth's contributions and can't wait for the Swede and Gersich to play regularly next season. I still stand with starting Grubs at the start of first round and agree with Trot' decision, but super excited Holtby did his magic. I was sad with the regular season Holtby and afraid of a Carey trend, so super excited he had this magical run. I will never ever forget that save. That was a time stopping moment. Overall, this was the most laid back playoffs in my Caps fan history and it seems the players were laid back too and shrugged off the past and kept focus. I don't even care about the past failures now or hated rivalries. As far as I'm concerned this can't be topped. As for me, I had no disliked players and haven't since Green and Sarge were here. Can't wait for my merchandise :)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I was pretty positive about this team all year but after 0-2 vs Columbus I think everyone wrote this team off.

I don't give up until the final horn is played, however I was starting to think the West might win. That game three Columbus game will live on forever. I literally did sprints in my living room yelling like a child. As a hockey fan, this was the most difficult run outside of the Kings last cup run. As a Caps fan, this is a dream come true and storybook ending. Exorcising every demon outside of 3-1 series blown leads is bliss!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You know what? I have said from Day 1 that anyone calling for Ovechkin to be traded can suck farts. I love this god damn team and they're awesome. Go Caps.

Edit a few days later: I was drunk for this post too. My bad. You should have to take a breathalyzer before being able to post on HFBoards, especially in the days following a Cup victory. Sheesh.

Last edited:

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
I forgot one and that is Ted. He let his staff do their jobs and learned to trust his workers. He could have easily had GMBM sell off last year and didn't. I've been pretty critical of him over the years since the Jagr trade even though he would spend money and eager to win.

Ted is another one I'm happy to eat crow on as well. I think history will look at this run with a uniqueness to it. We're living in it now so we don't quite grasp it but 20 years from now we will look at it not only as Ovi getting the Cup, but all the previous history playoff failures will have to be brought up, Trotz's failures, the fact that we weren't as talented on paper, no one gave us a chance, etc. In modern history outside of maybe Pittsburgh's back-to-back's and Chicago's 3, this is the best story in hockey.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The biggest plate of crow may be reserved for anyone questioning the turtle. Barry clearly changed up what he did to keep teams guessing, but we saw a lot of 1-1-3 at various times. Not just with a lead. Barry even stacked 4 across the blue a 1-0-4.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I had three big ones:

I was wrong about Trotz and said he should be let go. I was wrong about the importance of Orpik and wanted him bought out prior to the year. I was wrong on DSP, said he would be in Hershey.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The biggest plate of crow may be reserved for anyone questioning the turtle. Barry clearly changed up what he did to keep teams guessing, but we saw a lot of 1-1-3 at various times. Not just with a lead. Barry even stacked 4 across the blue a 1-0-4.
That's fair, but they found a way to run the turtle more effectively. They scored a lot of goals while up by 1 in these playoffs instead of just getting hemmed in their zone forever. The only bad turtle game I can remember was I think R4G2, which they only survived because of The Save.

If their Tuttle was as ineffective in the playoffs as it had been earlier someone else would be partying with the Cup today.

Reactions: RandyHolt

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I was wrong about 2 things for sure. I didn't want Oshie and I didn't want Trotz because both carried the same playoff monkey that the Caps did as a whole.

They fought a losing battle to the monkey for 3 years but found a way to win and throw it off. Now they are all free.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Eh, this was a "show me" year. Trying to find my personal crow but I always said it was mental and they had enough talent if the coaching adjusted. I suppose maybe calling for Bura to be in the press box? That did seem like the call at the time, and he was indeed scratched, but he got his act together after that.

I think almost all of us were wrong about Gruby starting the Cbus series, but it was corrected and luckily Holtby got back into form.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad