The Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin era

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Was there another five year period like 05/06 to 09/10 with three players hitting the ground running and dominated like these three did? Were there even two players they came into the league like these three did.

Every season some some all-time great performances from one of them:

05/06 - OV wins the Calder with one of the greatest rookie campaigns ever, Crosby is the first 18 year to hit a 100 points and has the 2nd highest scoring finish for an 18 year in NHL history

06/07 - Crosby becomes the only teenager in NHL history to win the scoring title, Malkin wins the Calder.

07/08 - OV has one of GOAT goalscoring seasons, Crosby leads the playoffs in scoring (the youngest to do so?), and Malkin almost wins the Art

08/09 - Malkin has one of the greatest overall seasons besides the Big 4, OV wins another Richard, Hart, Lindsay combo, Crosby sets an era best playoff goalscoring mark

09/10 - OV wins another Lindsay, and Crosby adds a Richard.

OV and Crosby has arguably the best starts to their careers outside of the Big Four (you can even make an argument that they were better than Mario or Howe) with Malkin not too far behind.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I would like to stretch their dominance past the 10/11 season as well, as after 2011, the 3 combined for:
  • 3 Harts (back-to-back-to-back)
  • 3 Ted Lindsays (back-to-back-to-back)
  • 2 Art Rosses
  • 6 Rockets back-to-back-to-back-back-to-back-to-back (2013-2018)
  • 3 Conn Smythe's back-to-back-to-back
I mean that is just ridiculous.

In total, they have a combined:
  • 6 Harts (15 top-5 Hart Trophy finishes)
  • 7 Ted Lindsay's
  • 5 Art Rosses (19 top-5 finishes)
  • 9 Rockets (17 top-5 finishes)
  • 4 Conn Smythe's
  • 2 Calders
  • Led the NHL in PPG 9 times w/ 22 top-5 finishes
Utter domination

However to answer your original question, I don't think there has been a "distinct" 3 players where they stand out the most and are so closely linked to one another, and who were drafted so close to each other, who on top of that, happen to be the 3 best players of their era constantly switching back and forth between who is the best. So I'm going to go with no.

This is a one of a kind situation with these 3 guys and we most likely will never see it again.

Last edited:

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
They're clearly a cut above of the rest since the 2004 lockout, even this far into their career they're still winning cups and over a PPG

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Don't forget that 87 might've gotten the Ross in 2015 had he not contracted the mumps. Missed 5 games and finished 3 points back of Benn.

I considered it, but Kane and Seguin also missed games that season, so maybe that race would’ve been closer.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
A truly great era. Except for a splash of Datsyuk - they were very far ahead of everyone else. Something we didnt see post-Jagr pre-lockout.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
3 awesome players for sure. Crosby and Ovie are among the 20-25 greatest ever. Malkin's further down but still 3 great players that have been a thrill to watch over the past few yrs.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If everything went well for Crosby and Ovechkin

Minimum
Crosby
4 Hart’s
4 art Ross
4 Lindsay’s
2 Richards
2 smythes

Ovechkin
3 harts
3 art Ross
8 Richards
3 Lindsay’s
1 smythe

Amazing

Ovechkins trophy case has been hindered less than Crosby’s though. It is much closer to what he should have

Black Gold Extractor

May 4, 2010
Uh, yup

Just a little trio called Gretzky, Messier and Bourque.

All 3 are rookies in 1979-80

If we're doing a count of accolades, then the 1979-80 trio of debuts (using that word since Gretzky wasn't a "rookie") obviously holds up well up during its comparable first 13 seasons (till 1991-92):

11 Harts
7 Pearsons/Lindsays
9 Art Rosses
5 retro Rockets
3 Conn Smythes
1 Calder
4 Norrises
Led the NHL in points per game 10 times

I think the uniqueness of the Crosby/Ovechkin/Malkin situation is that the three of them were also reasonably close comparables in terms of ability. All three could take turns at being "best in the world" (as nebulous as that phrase is), and the situation kind of swung a bit in three directions.

It's a little different when one guy of the trio is winning 9 of 11 Harts, 5 of 7 Pearsons, all 9 Art Rosses, etc.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The 90-91 drafts could have I imagine (Jagr, Lindros, Forsberg) but was a bit too derailed by injuries and took a long time having the 3 players entering there prime (or literally the NHL) versus Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin.

Last edited:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Lemieux didn't exactly enter the NHL at the same time as Jagr/Hasek, let alone Lindros (almost 10 years between Mario's first season and Lindros's)...
I don't understand the OP to have 'coming into the league around the same time' as a condition'. Just 'dominating around the same time'. I don't think their joint domination would match that of the Big Three either. The four I mentioned just come closest from off the top of my head.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't understand the OP to have 'coming into the league around the same time' as a condition'. Just 'dominating around the same time'. I don't think their joint domination would match that of the Big Three either. The four I mentioned just come closest from off the top of my head.

It's not a condition per se but more of a very unique situation of three great talents being drafted over a two year period, which is not necessarily unique on it's own, but all three came into the league over a two year period and all three immediately made an impact.

When you talk about their first three years, what players other than the Wayne, Mario or Orr, would be rated ahead of them after their first three years?

Crosby had an Art Ross, multiple "youngest ever" records and a playoff scoring title.

OV had a calder, one of the best rookie campaigns ever, and one of the greatest goalscoring seasons on his resume.

Malkin had a Calder, an Art Ross, and one of the best playoff performances ever outside of Mario, Wayne and Orr.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
It's not a condition per se but more of a very unique situation of three great talents being drafted over a two year period, which is not necessarily unique on it's own, but all three came into the league over a two year period and all three immediately made an impact.

When you talk about their first three years, what players other than the Wayne, Mario or Orr, would be rated ahead of them after their first three years?

Crosby had an Art Ross, multiple "youngest ever" records and a playoff scoring title.

OV had a calder, one of the best rookie campaigns ever, and one of the greatest goalscoring seasons on his resume.

Malkin had a Calder, an Art Ross, and one of the best playoff performances ever outside of Mario, Wayne and Orr.

Based on 1st 3 years only, I'd have McDavid ahead of them. 2x Ross, 2x Pearson, Hart, missed the Calder only due to injury

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Based on 1st 3 years only, I'd have McDavid ahead of them. 2x Ross, 2x Pearson, Hart, missed the Calder only due to injury

He is certainly in the conversation but I think McDavid would be 4th behind those three if an official HOH Top players after Three Years project was done.

Crosby missed out on a potential 2nd Ross due to injury and Malkin's Art Ross and 2nd place are just as strong or stronger than McDavid's. Their Cup runs give them the clear edge.

OV's 07/08 was on a whole other level than McDavid's best seasons.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Uh, yup

Just a little trio called Gretzky, Messier and Bourque.

All 3 are rookies in 1979-80

That's not really comparable. Bourque and Messier were hardly ever in the conversation for best player in the world. This is more piggybacking on best player - and yes by that metric Gretzky alone can come out on top.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He is certainly in the conversation but I think McDavid would be 4th behind those three if an official HOH Top players after Three Years project was done.

Crosby missed out on a potential 2nd Ross due to injury and Malkin's Art Ross and 2nd place are just as strong or stronger than McDavid's. Their Cup runs give them the clear edge.

OV's 07/08 was on a whole other level than McDavid's best seasons.

If there was a HOH project on first 3 years and if 40 people participated - I could see each player getting 10 first place votes a piece among those 4.

Depending on what you like/value most, you could make a case for any of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad