The Creativity of McDavid

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
You can’t be serious. McDavid easily has some of the best hands and creativity in the league.
I’m not saying he doesn’t have good hands, he has great hands. He’s a good stick handler, but it’s not his hands that make people look stupid.

There is a huge difference between having good hands and being able to pull off datsyuk level jukes that make players and goalies look stupid. It’s not just about the hands.

McSpecial DraiBlend

Feb 18, 2010
Kelowna, Canada
An possible rumoured offer sheet could possibly take care of that.
As I watch the Coyotes continuously fail on and off the ice I cant help but burn a little thinking McDavid would have completely changed the fortunes of the franchise. Edmonton has had some of the biggest stars in the sport ever...and may have the two greatest players of all time when McDavid is finished playing. The Coyotes not so much.

Sigh.
It's a treat getting to watch Connor night in and night out.
Even though I don't care for him Gaudreau is a sublimely talented player and fun to watch as well. He consistently is one of the most dangerous players to watch and has amazing hands.

Reactions: snag

Leonhard Euler

Mar 5, 2018
I’m not saying he doesn’t have good hands, he has great hands. He’s a good stick handler, but it’s not his hands that make people look stupid.

There is a huge difference between having good hands and being able to pull off datsyuk level jukes that make players and goalies look stupid. It’s not just about the hands.

Just a first result on youtube, from 2017 no less so there's a lot more now, you don't even have to look hard. McDavid has absolutely amazing hands, just because he's also the fastest player to ever play hockey doesn't make him less of a stickhandler.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012

Just a first result on youtube, from 2017 no less so there's a lot more now, you don't even have to look hard. McDavid has absolutely amazing hands, just because he's also the fastest player to ever play hockey doesn't make him less of a stickhandler.

Amazing hands yes, but by no means are those like datsyuk style moves. Those are things that many players in the nhl can do, just not at top speed the way McDavid does. McDavid might catch you slow footed and put the puck between your legs and blow by you.. I haven’t seen him not moving in the corner and use his edges, hands and body to make a defender so confused he falls on his ass. I’m not taking anything away from McDavid, he’s obviously the best player in the world but what he does isn’t the same:

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
LeBron James begs to differ
I know cross sport comparisons are really tough but McDavid honestly reminds me more of Lebron than anybody else.

The combination of speed, skill, intelligence. Both perhaps the best pure athletes in their sports but they are also students of the game and work tirelessly at their craft.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

member 157595

He's just so damn hard to defend, and the biggest reason is that his brain and puck-handling can keep pace with his feet. He's not just incredibly fast, he plays and thinks the game incredibly fast. He's simply a matchup nightmare.

You know how Pavel Bure almost seemed to be faster with the puck than without? McDavid has that same ability but with better hockey IQ and vision.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
McDavid has filthy hands, you don't handle the puck that well at that speed without them. He doesn't need to pull the puck around on a string because he's got good enough hands to maintain control at high speed which no one else in the league can do.

Reactions: generationalfan

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Came to post this. Acceleration is unreal. This alone makes him better than anyone else in the NHL.

His ability to pick up the puck in his own zone, practically at a standstill, and take off and leave others in his dust within 10 strides is absolutely incredible.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
McDavid has filthy hands, you don't handle the puck that well at that speed without them. He doesn't need to pull the puck around on a string because he's got good enough hands to maintain control at high speed which no one else in the league can do.
No one else can maintain control at high speed? Really?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
You actually couldn't argue that. He's 21.
Best doesn’t require a career body of work. Greatest takes into account things like longevity, accomplishments, etc. and obviously McDavid hasn’t played long enough to enter that conversation.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Best doesn’t require a career body of work. Greatest takes into account things like longevity, accomplishments, etc. and obviously McDavid hasn’t played long enough to enter that conversation.
What is required to be the best player of all time?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad