Blue Jays Discussion: Jays draft IF/OF Austin Martin at #5 overall. Time to celebrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Giving players a year of service time AND their salary in the event of a cancelled season is incredibly stupid. Possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in sports.
Sounds like if the season is cancelled all the owners pay is $170 million of the $4 billion in annual wages. So, they get the service time, but wages are based on prorated games played.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Baseball Reference Simulated today’s scheduled opening day.

2020 Toronto Blue Jays Simulated Statistics | Baseball-Reference.com

Jays won 5-2

In today's fake world, according to Baseball Reference...
Ryu's Blue Jays debut goes great: 6.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 6 K, W. ERA sits at 1.42.
Home runs from Teoscar Hernandez (3 RBI), Cavan Biggio, and Danny Jansen.
Everyone in the lineup got on base except Gurriel and Shaw. Even Drury took a walk. Vladdy had a hit and 2 walks.
Rest of the pitching was good, aside from Rafael Dolis, who allowed 3 hits and a run without recording an out. His ERA sits at infinity.
Giles got the save, facing 1 batter and striking him out.
In the end the Blue Jays beat the Red Sox 5-2!

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Projecting Toronto Blue Jays' opening day roster...in 2022 - TSN.ca

2022 LINEUP
1. SS Bo Bichette, 24 (R)
2. 2B Cavan Biggio, 27 (L)
3. LF Lourdes Gurriel Jr., 28 (R)
4—1B Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 23 (R)
5—CF George Springer, 32 (R)
6—3B Jordan Groshans, 22 (R)
7—DH Alejandro Kirk, 23 (R)
8—RF Griffin Conine, 24 (L)
9—C Danny Jansen, 27 (R)

2022 Rotation:
1—RHP Nate Pearson
2—RHP Noah Syndergaard
3—LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu
4—RHP Simeon Woods Richardson
5—RHP Alek Manoah

2022 Closer:
Julian Merryweather

2022 TOP 10 PROSPECTS
1. SS/3B Orelvis Martinez
2. 2020 5th overall pick
3. C Gabriel Moreno
4. 2B/3B Miguel Hiraldo
5. RHP Adam Kloffenstein
6. RHP Kendall Williams
7. OF Dasan Brown
8. 2021 first-round pick
9. RHP Sem Robberse
10. RHP Eric Pardinho

I would absolutely love this team if it were built this way. Just no Springer, I don’t want to invest 100M+ on a 31-35 year old centre fielder. Hoping for a better RF and closer.

But I don’t mind investing in a Thor type starter though the TJ surgery would lower his price for me. Would also prefer a Shoemaker/Roark type in the 5th/6th spot as insurance.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Giving players a year of service time AND a part of their salary in the event of a cancelled season is incredibly stupid. Possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in sports.

A 5 round draft is idiotic too. Very few players in round last 3-5 will sign and I assume many undrafted players will sign for 20k. They will roll the dice, forgo this draft and wait for more money in the 2021 draft.
Especially 5 rounds. That would completely f*** us for the higher pick in so many rounds. It would need at least 20 imo. It’ll help the big market teams like crazy because they’ll just get easy shots at unseated college kids that want to play for their favourite teams

Reactions: phillipmike

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I'm hopeful this is just giving them the ability if they feel necessary and they will still keep the draft 20 rounds at least.

Can we even field every team going into next year at all levels with 5 rounds?

I think at least 10 rounds seems like the minimum.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Projecting Toronto Blue Jays' opening day roster...in 2022 - TSN.ca

I would absolutely love this team if it were built this way. Just no Springer, I don’t want to invest 100M+ on a 31-35 year old centre fielder. Hoping for a better RF and closer.

But I don’t mind investing in a Thor type starter though the TJ surgery would lower his price for me. Would also prefer a Shoemaker/Roark type in the 5th/6th spot as insurance.

For me, the most unrealistic part is plugging Conine in. I would love to see it, but he has to make massive changes to have a chance at the majors. I'm not confident he'll ever make it.

Reactions: phillipmike

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Watching the Royals/Jays game where Sanchez gets tossed. Forgot how much I hated that Royals team.
I will forever be convinced that if the Jays play that ALCS against the Royals 10 times, the Jays would have won nine of those series. The Royals had everything go for them.

Reactions: stickty111

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
I will forever be convinced that if the Jays play that ALCS against the Royals 10 times, the Jays would have won nine of those series. The Royals had everything go for them.
I’m still angered by the umpiring in that series and that stupid neck beard in the stands.

there was one pitch against revere that might’ve been one of the worst called strikes I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched a lot of baseball.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
lie.jpg

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I’m still angered by the umpiring in that series and that stupid neck beard in the stands.

there was one pitch against revere that might’ve been one of the worst called strikes I’ve ever seen and I’ve watched a lot of baseball.

I disagree. Royals won fair and square. Their batters were dialed in.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site

If I remember correctly, Jays rested quite a few players towards the end of the season so Royals had home field advantage. Both teams were suited to their parks.

Losing Cecil was a big loss too.

Jays needed to win game 2 but they didn't. Goins missing that catch hurt.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I disagree. Royals won fair and square. Their batters were dialed in.

It's possible it would have ended the same way anyway, but those two strike calls on Revere were absolutely horrendous. Given the situation, they had a huge impact on the end result.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And I don't know about "dialed in", but the balls were definitely falling in for them.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Series was still in hand but Dickey screwed us over in game 4 by giving up 4 runs in the first and 5 before he could get out of the 2nd. We were facing a worse pitcher in Chris Young. Game was 5-2 and then Hawkins really lost it for us later in the game.

Huge turning point in the series in those 2 innings Dickey pitched.

Goins messed up in Game 2. Dickey in game 4. And the Umpires in game 6.

We were the better team.

Reactions: stickty111

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Rewatching that Jays-Royals game from the regular season in 2015.

The one where KC hits Donaldson, the benches get a warning and they throw at Donaldson 2 more times and the pitchers (Volquez and Madson) dont get thrown out. Gibby argues and gets thrown out.

Then in the 8th Sanchez hits Escobar accidentally and he gets thrown out. The benches clear and there Gibby is running out on the field from the showers with no hat.

Completely forgot about that. Gibby the 2nd best manager in Jays history. What a guy!

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad