Blue Jays Discussion: Jays draft IF/OF Austin Martin at #5 overall. Time to celebrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If you were ranking top Jays players of the 2010s, where would you rank Marco Estrada? In the top 10? Outside of the top 10? For 2 seasons, he was great. Opponents couldn't hit a lick against him + some extremely clutch pitching performances in the playoffs when the team was facing elimination. What do you think?

Ninth-ish.

1) Bautista
2a) Edwin
2b) Donaldson
3) Stroman
4) Martin
5) Happ
6) Osuna
7) Pillar

Then it gets interesting.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
So let’s say this shit goes on forever and we lose the summer. What’s happens to the contracts? Would players on the last year of their deals ie Giles be free agents?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
So let’s say this shit goes on forever and we lose the summer. What’s happens to the contracts? Would players on the last year of their deals ie Giles be free agents?

and we thought it couldn't get any worse than not trading Donaldson in the winter assuming we could trade him at the deadline, now this happens after we didn't trade Giles in the winter.

I would assume contracts would all burn a year, but not sure what happens with service time. I would assume that wouldn't accrue. Thus would super 2 guys who were on an arbitration contract this year end up getting an ARB5 year? given they burn their current arbitration 1 year contract but not a service time year? And thus teams who signed guys to contracts thinking they'd be getting X free agent years actually get X-1 free agency years(thus overpay slightly) out of the contract since the contract year burns but the service time doesn't? It's going to be interesting what happens there.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
MLB Prospects: Five Things We Can't Wait To See In 2020

4. That’s Mr. Pearson If You’re Nasty (He Certainly Is)

After a near complete wipeout of his 2018 season, Nate Pearson was handled carefully in 2019. The big righthander alternated between starts of two and five innings for most of the season—with a dominating Futures Game appearance mixed in—before getting unleashed at Triple-A Buffalo.

Pearson was due back at Triple-A to begin the season—though he’d racked up 11 strikeouts in seven two-hit innings in big league spring training before everyone was sent home—but has the stuff to easily get himself to Toronto before long. He possesses one of the nastiest arsenals in the minors—including an 80-grade fastball that hit a TrackMan-verified 104 mph during the 2018 Arizona Fall League—as well as a big frame that would fit a starter’s workload.

“He’s probably the best pitcher in the minor leagues right now,” one scout said of Pearson during the middle of last season. “I mean, who’s better than him in the minor leagues right now? Pure stuff-wise, I have a hard time believing that anyone is better than Nate Pearson.”

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Extension Candidates: AL East

Blue Jays
The youth movement is in full effect north of the border, as the team currently has no position players on the 40-man roster who have reached their 30th birthday. That means there are extension candidates up and down the line. From the team’s perspective, they would surely love to lock up their young core players of Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Bo Bichetteand Cavan Biggio, all of whom have less than a year of service time and are therefore at least two years away from arbitration. However, since all three are the sons of retired big leaguers who made millions during their playing days, they might not be as motivated as some other players to sign away years of free agency in exchange for the security of having guaranteed money in the bank.

One promising youngster without a famous lineage is catcher Danny Jansen. The team could have some desire to lock him up if they think he’s their catcher of the future. But does the team still believe that after his lackluster offensive numbers in 2019?
On the pitching side, the most promising young arm is prospect Nate Pearson, who hasn’t even made it onto the roster yet.

We’ve seen some recent extensions given to players before their MLB debuts, such as Luis Robert, Evan White and Eloy Jimenez, but none for pitchers just yet. One wild card is Ken Giles. The 29-year-old has been lights out since leaving Houston and is one year away from free agency. But because of injury concerns, perhaps the right deal could give him enough peace of mind to forgo the open market.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I honestly don't think the contracts will just burn a year. Imagine influential teams losing big ticket FAs for nothing - the owners will pitch a shitfit. They'll figure something out to prevent it IMO.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I honestly don't think the contracts will just burn a year. Imagine influential teams losing big ticket FAs for nothing - the owners will pitch a shitfit. They'll figure something out to prevent it IMO.
The Mookie Betts situation could be a total shit show lol. There is no way of coming to a solution that makes everyone happy really.

Reactions: Mach85

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
and we thought it couldn't get any worse than not trading Donaldson in the winter assuming we could trade him at the deadline, now this happens after we didn't trade Giles in the winter.

I would assume contracts would all burn a year, but not sure what happens with service time. I would assume that wouldn't accrue. Thus would super 2 guys who were on an arbitration contract this year end up getting an ARB5 year? given they burn their current arbitration 1 year contract but not a service time year? And thus teams who signed guys to contracts thinking they'd be getting X free agent years actually get X-1 free agency years(thus overpay slightly) out of the contract since the contract year burns but the service time doesn't? It's going to be interesting what happens there.
I feel like the contracts wouldn’t move given there was no possibility of playing. I hope that’s the case anyway. Burning a year of control on our young core without a game of experience gained would be tough.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The Mookie Betts situation could be a total shit show lol. There is no way of coming to a solution that makes everyone happy really.
Those moves would be the biggest kicks in the balls and somehow the Red Sox would come out winners. Full gain on a player that never played a not lose a year of Sale and give him the time to come back from his surgery.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like the contracts wouldn’t move given there was no possibility of playing. I hope that’s the case anyway. Burning a year of control on our young core without a game of experience gained would be tough.

I doubt they’d burn a year of control given your need service time for that and I don’t see them counting a null and void year as a year of service time. I think it’s likely signed contracts burn though as legally I would think they’re signing for a season defined by which year they’d occur rather the next X years. So the only young guys a team would lose a year of control on would be guys like Acuna who have signed contracts that take them into free agency.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Those moves would be the biggest kicks in the balls and somehow the Red Sox would come out winners. Full gain on a player that never played a not lose a year of Sale and give him the time to come back from his surgery.

Now that you mention Sale, I wonder if the amount of Tommy John surgeries go up this year as players with elbow issues start to suspect the year will be cancelled and figure better get it now and only miss the start of next year. That group of players is probably small, they’d need to be in a situation where they feel they need TJ eventually but don’t have to have to right now.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

3 Year Simulation for the Jays.

Year 1: Miss the playoffs: Won 75 games
Year 2: Wildcard team vs CWS: Won 96 games
Year 3: Wild card team vs LAA: Won 99 games

Playoff results in Year 2 and 3 may surprise you. Year 3 the guy went all out to address the pitching.

I would like to give more details but it was a good watch, definitely recommend it. I watched all 40 minutes and was highly anxious when it came to playoff games.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
VZgag8L.png

Start: Donaldson
Bench: Bautista
Cut: Encarnacion

Reactions: phillipmike

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Wonder what Vladdy weighs now that he's been reunited with Grandma back in the DR, :naughty:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Key words "who had a full year last time". So keeping Vladdy back for an extra week now has double benefit? This is great. Sucks to lose Giles for nothing if there's no season.

Or will everyone be getting exactly what they got last year with regards to service time. this seems like a huge win for the players TBH

To my knowledge the 1st league to come to an agreement on ramifications of the virus. NBA and NHL obviously have to wait as them finishing or not depends on when they can possibly return. NFL may be unaffected except their draft.

Reactions: phillipmike

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

So we don't gain on Vlad, nor Biggio I don't believe. But Bo will still be under a year as a result and we'd get and extra year on him if the season is canned.

Betts becoming a free agent after that whole trade debacle wow. Boston wins even when they lose.

Reactions: stickty111

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
At least we are guaranteed our 5th overall pick this year. If the season is cancelled, will next year's draft order be a lottery based on last season's order? If so, we may end up with another pick higher than where I think it would be if we played this year.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Giving players a year of service time AND a part of their salary in the event of a cancelled season is incredibly stupid. Possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in sports.

A 5 round draft is idiotic too. Very few players in round last 3-5 will sign and I assume many undrafted players will sign for 20k. They will roll the dice, forgo this draft and wait for more money in the 2021 draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad